Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum - initial opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
i has college

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum - initial opinion.

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/pressrelease.do?newsId=205

Just picked up a set of these in the 235/40-18 flavor. Apparently these are Kumho's shoe-in to the luxury market. They're originally $205 each on tirerack, but they're on sale for $138 each right now (at least in this size...) so I jumped on the deal.

I'm changing out from my old set of noisy Ziex 512's that went bald after 15k miles. I was looking for a tire that I could commute 3 hours to and from college on. My priorities were great tread life, comfortable ride, and low noise, while still retaining a performance edge. I must say, these tires are absolutely spectacular in these regards.

The first thing I noticed with these tires is how incredibly quiet they are. I can literally hear the wind noise outside at 30 mph. While braking. They're as quiet as the stock tires on my parents' brand new Santa Fe.

They're very controlled for a grand touring tire, too. I heard that these tires actually have a bit of a break-in period where they seem slippery, but I haven't noticed. These grip every bit as well as my old Falkens and I haven't been able to get them to lose traction yet.

Being a grand touring tire, these are a MUCH more comfortable ride than a typical high performance or summer tire. I can still feel the road, but the bumps that jarred my teeth with the Falkens are now much more muted.

Also, these tires have a TON, and I mean a TON, of tread. I read 10/32 somewhere but that seems pretty conservative - these have as much tread as the tires on my dad's truck. Add onto that a 600 treadwear, and I can see why Kumho offers a 60k mile warranty on these tires. That's unheard of on this size of a tire, and I'm glad that I don't have to deal with rock hard tires just to be able to get this amount of life out of them.

Pros:
-Dead quiet
-Very comfortable without sacrificing road feel
-Grip well for a luxury tire
-60k mile warranty

Cons:
-None so far!

Verdict:
An EXCELLENT first impression. A great tire for a daily driver or for someone who wants a long-lasting, comfortable tire without sacrificing performance. Kumhos have a reputation for not lasting, but we'll see if this tire can beat the trend.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
'00 GLE

Any winter driving?

EnervinE,

Have any experience with the LX Platinum's in winter weather yet?

B
Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just checked out treadepot.com. that is where I bought my Toyo's and they have them on sale at $132.