Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear

Here are pictures from the two front tires I replaced after 20k on my 97 Maxima today. I am lowered with Maxspeed springs and put camber bolts on the car ~6 months ago. I get regular alignments and had 2 this year before I started to split open one of my tires. Is this kind of wear usually associated with toe or camber being out of spec? I am hoping camber (which has been corrected) but I also worry about other components of the suspension being worn out after 180k miles. Any suggestions so that I avoid tearing up my new tires?
Attached Thumbnails Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear-bad1-large-.jpg   Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear-bad2-large-.jpg   Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear-bad3-large-.jpg   Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear-good1-large-.jpg   Help Me Diagnose Unever Tire Wear-good2-large-.jpg  

Old 07-29-2010, 11:05 PM

Looks like camber wear from being lowered to me.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50
Looks like camber wear from being lowered to me.

toe wear would "scuff" the tread off your tires in a diagonal pattern. Imagine you're standing on your hood, looking down at your axles. The front tires are going down the road like this: \ / think the opposite of a train's cattle guard. that's toe-out wear.

camber wear will give you that edge wear you see there. You're putting a lot more rubber on the road on that inside 1/4 of tread due to the tire leaning, so its entire surface area isn't allowed to spread the weight, and that strip of rubber wears faster than the rest. If you're standing at the back of your car, looking towards the front, your tires are doing this: / \ that's camber wear.

did the alignment shop inspect for loose frontend parts, and give you a before and after alignment spec printout? Always ask for one, it's your evidence of work performed.....