Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tire Opinions Needed

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Tire Opinions Needed

Hi I am in the market for (4) new tires my 2007 Nissan Maxima. The stock tires are pretty much done for it and all 4 are at the wear bars. I am an average driver, i drive city and some highway. I didn't realize tire shopping was so complicated but from what i am hearing the tires wear differently on different cars, so i figured who better to ask than some maxima guys. I have 46k on the car now and would like to have a tire that gives me good wear and lasts long. So far i am looking at these tires.

Michelin MX4V \ 620 A A , V
Yokohoma YK520 \ 520 A A , V
Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinum \ 600 A A , Z

Or maybe you guys have some other suggestions, I would love to hear your tire story with your 6th Gen Maxima. Thanks any info helps!

Last edited by NismoMax80; 12-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM

The type of tire you use all comes down to budget and the climate you're going to be doing the lion's share of your driving. How much do you want to spend and where do you live?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:28 PM

I am in miami, FL so the bulk is in mostly warm weather. Id like to spend up to 100-160 per tire, i am not sure for me i don't mind spending the money if i can get more life out of the tire.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 PM

I am running Falken tires for my summer tread - www.falkentire.com/Tires/Ziex-ZE-912-2

I am satisfied with these tires, and the price on them is quite good as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM

The Falken ZE-912 is an EXCELLENT tire as is the Sumitomo HTR-ZIII. It's basically the same tire. I'm pretty sure the Falken comes with a mileage warranty of around 50-60k but I've been out of the game for 7 months now so I don't recall.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM

I also heard that Falken tires are made out of soft rubber that runs very quiet on road with good road traction. They also comes with pretty descent mileage warranty and aren't that expensive.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 PM

just get a set of goodyears rs-a's or similar cheepos, if you live in FL (no cold climate issues) and like you said, a normal disciplined driver (i.e. no tire spinning, sudden braking, hard acceleration or other idiot behavior) you will be totally fine with a regular generic tire out there.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
I also heard that Falken tires are made out of soft rubber that runs very quiet on road with good road traction. They also comes with pretty descent mileage warranty and aren't that expensive.

Well, they are a lot quieter than the Goodyear RSAs, especially at highway speeds. As for traction, complete garbage in snow, but I have dedicated winter diggers so that is of no concern for me. During the summer months, however, the traction in water is excellent. I have no concerns of hydroplaning at speeds of 60-70mph.

I would get them again, and may even move to a more dedicated sport Falken sport tire once these ones wear out.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Truff02
The Falken ZE-912 is an EXCELLENT tire as is the Sumitomo HTR-ZIII. It's basically the same tire. I'm pretty sure the Falken comes with a mileage warranty of around 50-60k but I've been out of the game for 7 months now so I don't recall.

Falken 912's are pure garbage.

I have always been a michelin fan. Look into a set of primacy mxv4 or mxm4's. Sure they are a bit more than your average tire, but they are worth every penny.

As far as bang for your buck, look into the following:
-Michelin mxv4, mxm4, hydroedge, pilots
-General Exclaim Uhp
-Goodyear Eagle Gt
-Dunlop Signature
Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Nexen 7000. Best tire for the money
Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by LongIslandMax

Falken 912's are pure garbage.
Basing this on personal experience or hearsay? They may not work well for your climate in Long Island but for where he lives, they'll do just fine.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Truff02
Basing this on personal experience or hearsay? They may not work well for your climate in Long Island but for where he lives, they'll do just fine.
+1
Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM

i live in SoCal and im running on continental DSW on OEM 18 inch rims for a month now.... satisfied as of now... way quieter than the RSA's...

doesnt softer rubber mean it would wear out faster?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by morteljc
i live in SoCal and im running on continental DSW on OEM 18 inch rims for a month now.... satisfied as of now... way quieter than the RSA's...

Yes, softer tires typically wear out sooner. It is ultimately a tradeoff in the end.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by morteljc

I am actually thinking of getting those same Continentals. The reviews are very good on them and I like the fact that they are quiet too. Can't wait to get rid of the RSA's.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Redstone
I am actually thinking of getting those same Continentals. The reviews are very good on them and I like the fact that they are quiet too. Can't wait to get rid of the RSA's.

They are kind of cool lookin'. Not sure they would be any good in cold/winter. You really need that special softer rubber compound that retains its flexibility in colder weather for a tire to be effective in winter conditions. But as a summer driver, they would look pretty cool on the whip, and the price of them is decent as well.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
They are kind of cool lookin'. Not sure they would be any good in cold/winter. You really need that special softer rubber compound that retains its flexibility in colder weather for a tire to be effective in winter conditions. But as a summer driver, they would look pretty cool on the whip, and the price of them is decent as well.

its alright for me... its a taste of a little bit of dry, snow, and wet.... i live in SoCal where the weather is unpredictable at time especially during this winter... its been actually rainy and sunny almost at the same time.... plus, snow time has started... so maybe i'll try it out when i go to the mountains....
Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just put on new Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX on my 07. The originals were shot at 58k. There was quit a bit of road noise with the worn original goodyear GS-A's. After putting on the new Kumho's, all road noise was gone. I've only put about 100 miles on the tires but I am liking them so far. They were fairly high rated with reviews on Tirerack and were one of the cheapest priced. I got mine for $575 after shipping and a $50 rebate card. Cost another $80 to have mounted. That included all new TPMS seals as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 PM

I just got GoodYear Eagle GT (all season) replaced my rsa.
What a diffrence It sticks to the road
Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
According to last years test that was performed according to tirerack,

Continental ExtremeContact DWS scored 8.25 tests rating, the highest of all and the best all season tires for DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow.) They comes with 50,000 miles threadlife warranty.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season ranked as 2nd best all season tires with 7.22 tests rating. No threadlife warranty on this tire.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ranked at 3rd with 6.47 tests ratings. They are however priecy though. They provide 45,000 miles threadlife warranty.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ranked at 4th place with 5.95 tests rating. They provide 40,000 miles threadlife warranty.

Yokohama Avid W4s ranked at 5th place with 4.88 tests rating. No threadlife warranty on this tire.

Last edited by KevMaster; 12-22-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 PM

very quiet - - - primacy mxv4

Very efficient (low rolling resistance), very quiet, good handling and traction (M + S rated), long lasting
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM

According to last years test that was performed according to tirerack,

Continental ExtremeContact DWS scored 8.25 tests rating, the highest of all and the best all season tires for DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow.) They comes with 50,000 miles threadlife warranty.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season ranked as 2nd best all season tires with 7.22 tests rating. No threadlife warranty on this tire.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ranked at 3rd with 6.47 tests ratings. They are however priecy though. They provide 45,000 miles threadlife warranty.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ranked at 4th place with 5.95 tests rating. They provide 40,000 miles threadlife warranty.

Yokohama Avid W4s ranked at 5th place with 4.88 tests rating. No threadlife warranty on this tire.
thats how i did my research and decided on the continentals...
Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by lzrj
I just put on new Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX on my 07. The originals were shot at 58k. There was quit a bit of road noise with the worn original goodyear GS-A's. After putting on the new Kumho's, all road noise was gone. I've only put about 100 miles on the tires but I am liking them so far. They were fairly high rated with reviews on Tirerack and were one of the cheapest priced. I got mine for $575 after shipping and a $50 rebate card. Cost another $80 to have mounted. That included all new TPMS seals as well.
Izrj, How are those Kumho tires working out for you. I was looking at them on tire rack as a second choice and they seem to be highly rated. I am also looking into the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, but I am concerned about some of the reviews of drifting or wandering at highway speeds with these tires. It seems like the they perform differently on some cars. Overall everyone seem to agree they are very quiet tires. However, my main concern is how they handle on a Maxima and I haven't seen too many Maxima reviews to make an informed decision. I might just go for the Kumho's, but I would love to hear what you think about them beyond the 100 miles that you had on your last post. Anyone else running the same Kumho's feel free to chime in. Thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 PM

i have the continentals and it has been raining for 6 straight days here in SoCal and it handled good on my 08 max.... i was able to run it at approx. 90mph without hydroplaning... im gonna try it this weekend against snow when i go to big bear...

hope it helps....
Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Living in north region, I would consider continental DSW as my first choice then mechalin mxv4 as my second choice. I have not looked at other tires yet to say anything. By the way I believe threaddepot.com has some nice price on tires (but charge shipping so does tirerack.com) with that discounttires.com price match with threaddepot.com and also provide free shipping.

Last edited by KevMaster; 12-24-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

For cheap I like Nexen as my summer tire. For affordable, I like my Toyo Proxes 4.
If you can afford Michelin go for it.

Dunlops were poor for me... the entire Goodyear family is on my black list after the stock tires they gave us.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont imagine anyone has the tires i have, but here goes. I have Falken Azenis which have a treadwear of about 160. They are the best gripping tires that are street legal (barely), and they are very quiet, but they wear out in around 10,000 miles or less, depending on how much you track them. They handle better than any tire which also means they stop better than any tire. Talk about tradeoffs!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
For cheap I like Nexen as my summer tire. For affordable, I like my Toyo Proxes 4.
If you can afford Michelin go for it.

Dunlops were poor for me... the entire Goodyear family is on my black list after the stock tires they gave us.
I was just wondering what would you think about goodyear assurance comforted touring tires? They comes with 80,000 pretty high mileage warranty with 640 A B tire quality grade.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

I was just wondering what would you think about goodyear assurance comforted touring tires? They comes with 80,000 pretty high mileage warranty with 640 A B tire quality grade.
sounds good, but like I said I won't be the one to test them after seeing cracks on my RSAs

80k miles? that's about 8 years for me. wait i swap summer'winter wheels... they will out live my car. I would just wonder how much time the rubber has until it dries out from sun or just age.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Just in case anyone is looking for review of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires snow drive fun.

LINK
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I dont imagine anyone has the tires i have, but here goes. I have Falken Azenis which have a treadwear of about 160. They are the best gripping tires that are street legal (barely), and they are very quiet, but they wear out in around 10,000 miles or less, depending on how much you track them. They handle better than any tire which also means they stop better than any tire. Talk about tradeoffs!!!
The Azeni is a great tire if you have a set of wheels/tires that you would use for daily use. They can get VERY expensive if you drive quite a bit like me.

The ComforTred is a great tire if you want something that is going to be quiet and last for a long time. I never saw any problems with cracking as I saw with the Eagle RS-A.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Guy at Discount Tire recommended Continental ExtremeContact DWS..Getting steers replaced on Friday..
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Do you guys have Yokohama Envigor's in the states?? Cheap, unidirectionals and 500 A A UTQG. DWS's are a good choice though...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 PM

If you are looking at those three its just in the order you got them michelin, oyokohomas, then kumhos. But there is plenty of tires that are good for the dollar.

Last edited by Rods03Max619; 12-27-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Redstone, The Kumho's are working out very well. Like them a lot. I think the Continental Extreme Contact DWS are very good tires as well and are the highest rated on Tirerack. I decided on the Kumho's due to the saving about $150 at the time and being grand touring instead of ultra high performance tires. Im more for the luxury ride then the performance ride. I know what you all are thinking, if thats the case why did I go with the SE model instead of the SL model with 17" and thicker walls which give a better ride. Reason, I hate the look of the 17" wheels thicker walls over the 18" with low profile look and I got one heck of a deal on this SE that I could not pass up. Paid $12,999 with only 57,000 miles and with all the options of the SL model other then navigation. Clean title and had it all checked out before buying. Save about 5 grand compared to the other Maxima's I was looking at. I had a BMW 5 series before this. Although the BMW had more of a solid well built feel to it and was quieter, I like the maxima overall better with the looks, dash lay out, and much more power.

Last edited by lzrj; 12-27-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by lzrj
Redstone, The Kumho's are working out very well. Like them a lot. I think the Continental Extreme Contact DWS are very good tires as well and are the highest rated on Tirerack. I decided on the Kumho's due to the saving about $150 at the time and being grand touring instead of ultra high performance tires. Im more for the luxury ride then the performance ride. I know what you all are thinking, if thats the case why did I go with the SE model instead of the SL model with 17" and thicker walls which give a better ride. Reason, I hate the look of the 17" wheels thicker walls over the 18" with low profile look and I got one heck of a deal on this SE that I could not pass up. Paid $12,999 with only 57,000 miles and with all the options of the SL model other then navigation. Clean title and had it all checked out before buying. Save about 5 grand compared to the other Maxima's I was looking at. I had a BMW 5 series before this. Although the BMW had more of a solid well built feel to it and was quieter, I like the maxima overall better with the looks, dash lay out, and much more power.
Thats what something I did back in 2006. I grabbed SE with fully loaded , navi, leather, heated seats-mirror-steering etc you name it all option that was available at that time. I paid $18k when it had little over 36k miles on it while other asked for $24k or more at that time. No regreats whats so ever so far. The next tires I will be getting on this are conti extreme DSWs for sure.