4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Code: P0340 camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Code: P0340 camshaft position sensor

Hey guys quick question......I got the code P0340 which is the camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.......Can this sensor have any effect on a car for it to start or not?? Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 PM

also i got 2 of the same exact codes for P0340....is there a way to test these sensors??
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
PM me for LCA's!

You will get a P0340 code if you live in Cincy and eat too much Skyline Chili. But seriously....

Check you battery make sure you get more than 10V, it could be that winter is taking its toll on you battery, it will throw a code. Also, do you have trouble starting the car?? A faulty starter can throw a P0340.

You can pull off the sensor and check for continuity (you should get it if its working). You can also pull off the engine grounds near the intake manifold, clean the contacts and reattach.

Cause if it's not the sensor or your electrical system making it throw a code, then it's the cam sprocket... and I really dont think it's that--you'd know in other ways.

Try that stuff and see what happens.

-SNOMAX
Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Its had trouble starting this entire winter.....i bought a new battery yesterday, threw it in and it started right up....then the car sat overnight and i tried starting it this morning and no go but the battery isnt dead....i even had jumper cables hooked up to another car trying to start it but still nothing.....
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 PM

This could mean a very very bad thing. In some cases you have a cam fault because your timing skipped. it is really common on other cars but VERY VERY rare to see on a VQ. I would go down the list of SNOMAX really good and rule out each and every one of them.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 PM

but wouldn't the car not run good if timing skipped......i drove it yesterday and it was fine
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Maintenance Monster

The CmPS code will definitely indicate why the car won't start.

My CmPS failed, and at first it was just a once-in-a-while thing not starting. If I pulled the key and tried it all again it would fire right up. Then it got more frequent, and the ECU finally posted a code: CmPS. Just buy a new sensor and replace it. It's very easy to do.

Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 AM

If the sensor fails trust me you'll know! My car would be on for about 20 minutes and the timing skips and the car will just shut off with a CEL light coming on. I ended up stopping at a major intersection because of that damn sensor. I got a replacement sensor from a fellow .org member and my car hasn't acted up since.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When mine died I could drive for a while and then the engine would suddenly just shut off (usually at 70mph on the freeway). I waited about 20 minutes, then it would start and run normally. As time went by (while I was trying to diagnose it), the shutoffs because more frequent. I finally grabbed a CmPS from the stealership (about $100) because it wasn't in stock anyplace else. Really really easy to replace. Just need a 10mm wrench.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by rome06
Hey guys quick question......I got the code P0340 which is the camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.......Can this sensor have any effect on a car for it to start or not?? Thanks

To answer your question, YES it will cause a no-start. MIne went back a month or so again and I was having problems starting here and ther. Since replacing it not a single problem starting.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 PM

well i just got it start but not by the key but by pushing it in gear and then poppin the clutch.....i really dont know if the cam position sensor is bad anymore because my car has never stalled while driving ever, the engine has never shut off on me ever at all......im starting to think that my starter is dying and its just not turning the motor fast enough for it to start?? What do u guys think?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is this the same code as 0101? I replaced the sensor because when I checked it the wiring harness has oil in it, leaking in through the sensor. Any way, I replaced it and I am still having a problem with warm starts. Car starts fine when it's cold, but after it has warmed up it doesn't want to fire. I have to pump the gas pedal to finally get it to start most times.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 PM

yea thats the same code as 0101
Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 PM

well i just got it start but not by the key but by pushing it in gear and then poppin the clutch.....i really dont know if the cam position sensor is bad anymore because my car has never stalled while driving ever, the engine has never shut off on me ever at all......im starting to think that my starter is dying and its just not turning the motor fast enough for it to start?? What do u guys think?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 AM

to test these sensors, the procedure is laid out in the FSM, you'll need a multimeter to do it. since someone asked about it earlier in the thread.

camshaft: starts on page EC-249
crankshaft: starts on page EC-243 ( POS first, then REF )
Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 AM
Maintenance Monster

My cam sensor passed the FSM test, but still the ECU didn't think it was working sometimes and it wouldn't start.

If you have a code, then you know which sensor to replace. It doesn't matter if the sensor is working according to the tests - it's whether the ECU thinks it's working. My cam sensor problem never caused any driving or running problems, just no-start. Change it.

Dave
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 AM

well the car starts i just have to have someone push it while i pop the clutch......so does this mean the camshaft sensor is out or is the starter is taking a **** on me?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Maintenance Monster

When it's not starting - is the starter clicking or turning?

If it's all dead silent, then that's the ECU doing nothing because it thinks the cam sensor is not working. I don't think it injects fuel or provides ignition, which would make it impossbile to push-start, but I don't know that for sure. The fact that you have a cam sensor code cannot be ignored either.

If you get cranking, and it's nice and consistent, it's not the starter. If you get a click, it's probably the starter.

You might have 2 problems at once here, but in any case the cam sensor code is reason to act. The ECU is like a bride buying things for a wedding - don't ask why, just do what the ECU says.

Dave
Old 05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem

My 2003 Max is throwing the Camshaft position sensor circuit - bank 1, and I called Nissan and my VIN# doesn't qualify for the recall. I have the Chilton, but on the page is states that I need to get a mechanic. Since it wont tell me, could you tell me how and where to change these, the Chilton mentioned that there are 2 of them, one in the front and one in the rear? Any details would be helpful.

Thanks,

Elliott
Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by jungalist4323
My 2003 Max is throwing the Camshaft position sensor circuit - bank 1, and I called Nissan and my VIN# doesn't qualify for the recall. I have the Chilton, but on the page is states that I need to get a mechanic. Since it wont tell me, could you tell me how and where to change these, the Chilton mentioned that there are 2 of them, one in the front and one in the rear? Any details would be helpful.

Thanks,

Elliott
First, why did you bring up a 2 year old thread? In the wrong section, even?

Being here for 3 years, think you would've known better.

There are two CPS' on the VQ35, on the rear of each head.

Next time, post in the correct place, and don't bring up an old thread if it isn't related; use the newbie thread, that's what it's there for.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The original post on this thread is titled, "Code: P0340 camshaft position sensor." How is this not relevant, when I have the same exact problem. I am grateful for your assistance. I Googled the camshaft position sensor and the link to this thread came up, so that's how I ended up in here to begin with. This is the first time I've ever posted on any forum of any kind, I usually have better things to do.

Last edited by jungalist4323; 05-13-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by jungalist4323
The original post on this thread is titled, "Code: P0340 camshaft position sensor." How is this not relevant, when I have the same exact problem. I am grateful for your assistance, though I had to ruffle through the sarcasm to find it. I Googled the camshaft position sensor and the link to this thread came up, so that's how I ended up in here to begin with. Not too sure why I feel the need to explain myself, but I figured next time you want to offer assistance to someone you could just give the information, and leave your opinions to yourself.
Well, you mean besides the thread being 2 years old, being for a different engine/car, and you having no need to revive it?

This isn't related to your problem, as the VQ35 has a completely different CPS setup than the VQ30.

I see no sarcasm in that post at all. A little flaming, but no sarcasm

Simply put, absolutely no need to revive old (unrelated) threads when there exists such a thing as the newbie thread.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does the high flow catalylic convertor do much?

Ya, I tried to edit my comment so I could leave out some of the crap I said like, sarcasm. Thanks for the help, I'm just now realizing that I'm in the thread for the 4th generation, and of course I don't have that puny engine in my car, no sir, I have the 3.5! The 2003 is my fav model because the 2004 was the first year they made the Maxima look like a bubble instead of a car, but I sure like the new ones! Plus the dreaded CVT, not sure how people like this, but I drove one once, not impressed.
The FSM's for the Xterra and the Maxima are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, and in the future I will go to the newbie thread with my new request. There's no telling how much money you saved me.

Gratefully yours,

Elliott
Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also kind of uncertain if I should buy both sensors, or just the bank 1? Is this a common problem with the Maxima's or all Nissan's in general, if so I need to look at my Xterra.