4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do i need an AMP. If i replace the rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Do i need an AMP. If i replace the rear speakers

im going to replace my rear speakers to 280 Watt pioneers and im just wondering if i need to hook up an amp to them, because i have a feeling they are just gona work like the old speekers at the same wattage./
Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 PM

uhm if you have bose they wont work at all.....
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator

It's my understanding that each speaker has it's own 'built in' amp. The deck has no power output. Therefore, if you replace the rear speakers with aftermarket ones, you'll have to add the amp.

Typically, people replace the head unit and speakers at the same time. By doing so, you can avoid the additional cost of adding an amplifier if you're looking for a basic setup. If you want more power and better sound, then an amp and new speakers are a must.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Oh, and don't forget to utilize this forum.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 PM

i dont have bose. SO i im buying 100 dollar rear speakers im gona have to hook up an amp to them so they work to their full potensial?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by enik23
i dont have bose. SO I'm buying 100 dollar rear speakers; I'm going to have to hook up an amp to them so they work to their full potential?
Oops. Sorry. Jumped the gun. Thought you had Bose.

Yes, if you're looking for an upgrade and better sound, an amp should almost always be utilized.

What deck do you have? What's the power output on it?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Oops. Sorry. Jumped the gun. Thought you had Bose.

Yes, if you're looking for an upgrade and better sound, an amp should almost always be utilized.

What deck do you have? What's the power output on it?

i got 6by 9 rear speakers i have no clue my power output.. again im talking about the speakers by the back window not the subwoofers that u put in the trunk. How would i hook up an amp to the speakers thou?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Administrator

i got 6by 9 rear speakers i have no clue my power output.. again im talking about the speakers by the back window not the subwoofers that u put in the trunk. How would i hook up an amp to the speakers thou?
I follow ya. Wasn't talking about subs in the trunk.

To hook up the amp, you connect the + and - line level wires to the 6x9's, red (power) to the battery or a switched power source, black (ground) to the battery ground or frame/chassis, and the blue wire (remote turn on) to your headunit.

Is that what you mean?

What headunit do you have?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 AM

You're going to need to do some customization to have the 6x9 in the rears. Stocks are 6 1/2" all the way around.

To add just an amp to the rears with no aftermarket headunit, you would need an inline converter. This will convert your regular speaker wires behind your stock headunit to RCA's. Then you can use those to feed into the amp. If you have an aftermarket headunit, then skip the inline converter. Then hook up the power as The Wizard has stated above.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 AM

i dont have a head unit just a stock radio. so basicly i have to wire the back speekrs to the battery and to the amp rite? and also, if i just put them on how they are now without doing all of that is that going to make any difference in my sound or should i not even bother
Old 08-19-2008, 02:09 AM

DO like i did threw those rear speakers in trash cut a bigger holes installed 6/9 kappa infinti no amp need they hit hard plus from da outside i kept orignal rear covers looks stock looking outside smart huh got pics ill help ya out oh n i bypass da bose wireing
Old 08-19-2008, 02:34 AM

You CAN just install the speakers and run no amp but you won't be running them at their full potential. Underpowering them is still harmful on the speakers.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 AM

yea u def need a amp to really use those speakers,
most head units(ure stock radio) put out like 15-20 rms, so u wont be gettin close to the 280 watts u paid for and actually i think im lookin into the same set of pioneers as u r lol, i had the older models in my old grand prix and they pushed bout 240 rms and had great sound
the thing is u need a decent amp to push them
hopefully it works out for u, ive never tried to install new speakers on a stock unit, but yea me no how it goes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
mod or sell?

I've got basic Jensen speakers and no amp running of a sony H/U and it sounds 10x better than the original (no surround) speakers.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 PM

You do not sound ready for this. No offense to the OP, but you really need to do a lot more research about speakers, amps, car installations before you tackle this.
You can and will damage things, from the sounds of your current knowledge I would dig into your pockets and have a good stereo shop install them. If you insist on learning which I encourage, do a lot of research and learn the basics, the fact that you're using 6x9's where there is only supposed to be 6x5's should be the first sign that you don't know what you're getting into.
Not trying to be a ***** I'm only trying to help you understand that you need to study a LOT more on the topic.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 PM

well seeing as how they are 280 watts on one speaker??? if they are yes i would because the headunit wouldn't be able to power them to where they sound good so yea i would
Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM

i dont have a head unit just a stock radio. so basicly i have to wire the back speekrs to the battery and to the amp rite? and also, if i just put them on how they are now without doing all of that is that going to make any difference in my sound or should i not even bother
Stick to something simple or your going to fry your car or yourself. Go find some 6.5" JBL GTO speakers.. they have a 2ohm impendance which effectively doubles the power form your stock head unit. They will play louder and sound better and all you have to do is put them in.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

your factory HU puts out about 10-5 rms i think. those 6x9 have big magnets that need more power to drive. I have a pioneer HU that says it puts out 50x4 (about 22rmsx4).. i had cheap 35rms watt pioneer speakers in the backand 60rms watt infinity reference speakers up front. the rears sounded better than the front because the 22rms was a better match for the speaker.. i didn't realize until after i switched some new infinitys into the back too and heard worse midbass. power matching is pretty important. u def need an amp for those.

kingofquartz- im not sure the factory HU is 2ohm stable.. he may blow his HU.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:19 PM

Installing an amp + speakers is a lot more work, and requires a lot more money (if you want it to sound decent)

IMO, unless this is really important to you, stick with lower-powered speakers like some Alpine Type-S or something similar. It's a direct replacement, and not very expensive.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 AM

To be honest the speakers will work fine without an amp. But if you want full power you do need one but I'd get a sub too that way the amp is cheaper for more power. But that's just IMO.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
kingofquartz- im not sure the factory HU is 2ohm stable.. he may blow his HU.
JBL gurantees that any modern stock or aftermarket head unit will support the 2ohm GTO's. Hook them up to an 80's model delco and I would be worried
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kingofquartz
JBL gurantees that any modern stock or aftermarket head unit will support the 2ohm GTO's. Hook them up to an 80's model delco and I would be worried

thanks for the info..i didnt know that. mayb next time ill find some 2 ohm speakers to get about 35 watts rms per channel from the HU instead of 17-20.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
thanks for the info..i didnt know that. mayb next time ill find some 2 ohm speakers to get about 35 watts rms per channel from the HU instead of 17-20.
Imagine my surprise when I went hunting for some 2ohm 6X9's and found the JBL GTO's. I'm glad I needed some 2ohm 6X9's for a system I was trying to match to a in hand amp. I dont use the factory speakers on the rear deck (had to use the holes to mount boxes) but my front door speakers are GTO's and they do play much louder off of my Panisonic HU.

I've got two 6.5 GTO's running off the factory HU in my 03 frontier without any issues.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

amp them! i have type s speakers in the back and type r components in the front amped to an alpine amplifier. The sound is phenomenal. My brother has a lexus with the mark levinsen system in it and i'd say with the speakers amped mines close to it if not better. Amping is deffinately the way to go. As far as if you have to or not. if you get (or have) an aftermarket deck, you can run aftermarket speakers on the same wires. they will just connect differently.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by akutl1
there a ***** to take out.
it took me a whole day....
stupid ausie maxs..
Yeah it doesnt make much sense that you have to remove so much just to get the rear speakers out. I was cussing the max the whole damn time I was laying parts all over the garage. Then to top it off.. several of the screws vibrated loose due to the subs in the trunk and I had to do it all over again. And then I decided the 6.5's are too weak and I took them back out and stuck four 6X9's on the rear deck. I finally wash my hands of the sound system
Old 08-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Black Lion

you should shave up a bit more money and invest in a better head unit and just go with better speakers. trust me eventually you will likely want to upgrade from what ever you decide to go with with the stock headunit. but to maximize the potential of any aftermarket speakers I would go with a better head unit and an Amp to run the speakers. Also some sound deadening will go a long way.... it Cuts out the outside noise as well as prevent vibration from the drivers.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM

1) in my opinion i would install the speakers and see how they sound...if they dont meet ur standers u can then think about putting an amp to them. I would also try switching out ur factory radio also. With an aftermarket head unit u will get better sounds quality, wore wattage to each speaker, and more sounds adjustability!

2) U are going to have to cut space for 6X9's because factory provisions are for 6 1/2's.

3) if u want to hook up an amp to ur factory radio you will need a line level converter which converts speakers sounds output to an RCA output so u can get sound to ur amp through a factory radio. If u arent quite sure what u are doing i would HIGHLY recommend going to a proffesional for installation, so that u dont damage everything!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:06 PM

You could use an amp:

Most (if not all) aftermarket head units have speaker outs and you could use them

Or buy an amp. The amp sounds better and you can add a sub very easily.

IMO chuck all the speakers and buy new ones with a head unit and an amp, yeah it could cost a little but youll save hundreds of dollars if you buy online and install it yourself (which is not hard at all, as i have done it myself)
Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Oh i forgot, if i was you

Use stock sized speakers so that there is no cutting

Also go to somewheres like a circuit city or pepboys to test out how loud you want it, you might be surprised at how loud they can get with just 200 wats
Old 08-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Addicted to the Org

I would do lots of searching. You purchased 6 x 9 which our cars do not take. And you want to hook them up to a stock radio
you would prob be better off just going to Bestbuy or somewhere and coughing up the dough. Tell them what you want to accomplish, and let them take care of it for you. So you don't blow the car up.