4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine wiring harness questions (the curse continues)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Engine wiring harness questions (the curse continues)

So on Monday I decided to pull my engine and replace everything that can leak, put in a new rack(that is also leaking, Or just switch to manual steering as im the only person that drives this). I drained all the fluids took off the air filter stuff, then I started Unplugging wires. All was going well until i got to the fuel injector connectors. The wires were so brittle the the insulation crumbled off, now I have exposed wires on two of the three front injectors. I realize now a better plan would have been to take the engine out with the wires on it but it was not the best day for me. So my question, is there a way to reliably fix this or am on the hunt for a used harness?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Electrical tape and/or heat shrink tubing
Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 PM

Another wire harness would be the most perfect solution. But you can fix the wires in several ways.

Go to a junk yard and cut the connectors off of the wire harness and splice them onto your car. This requires you to solder wires and insulate the solder connections with something like shrink tubing.

Another would be to cut off the exposed wire and replace it with another piece of wire. This would require you to solder the connections and then insulate them with something like shrink tubing.

Another would be to insulate the exposed wires. The method of insulating the wire can vary. One way is to cut the wire so that you can slide shrink tubing over it. Pretty much the same as the above method, except you are using more shrink tubing.

Another way would be to use the shrink tubing type material that looks like a roll of electrical tape that you would wrap around the wire before heating it to make it shrink. No cutting or soldering this way.

But the condition of your existing wire harness needs to be examined. If more of the wires appear to be developing brittle insulation, then replace the harness now, otherwise you will have to keep making repairs every so often.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 PM

When I got into my engine project, I had to refurbish my wiring harness by cleaning and re-wrapping the wires with silicone fusion tape. Silicone fusion tape does NOT use glue. Once you wrap it it seals into itself to form a water/air tight heat shrink like seal. I found the main engine wiring harness had become brittle and was allowing wires to be exposed and wearing away the insulation.

Here's a PhotoBucket slide show about the re-wrapping process below.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/Rid...Harness?sort=9

:

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-20-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
When I got into my engine project, I had to refurbish my wiring harness by cleaning and re-wrapping the wires with silicone fusion tape. Silicone fusion tape does use glue. Once you wrap it it seals into itself to form a water/air tight heat shrink like seal. I found the main engine wiring harness had become brittle and was allowing wires to be exposed and wearing away the insulation.

Here's a PhotoBucket slide show about the re-wrapping process below.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/Rid...Harness?sort=9

:
If I can replace it after looking more closely at it I feel that would be the best way but I cannot fine a good used one for the life of me. I have a feeling that silicon fusion tape and that slide show are going to be very useful. Appreciate all the help guys, maybe the curse on my car will lift after this haha
Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 AM

If you can't find a decent donor car to harvest some pigtails, DeatschWerks in OKC sells them for $8 each.

Many of us here here do business with David Deatsch.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products...eed-connectors