4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

axle feels like it's slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 PM

My maxima was driving fine for a week after I replaced both axles (new). Now, I'm just driving then I can hear and feel a scary grinding sound on the passenger side or possibly in the tranny gear selector. I tried tightening the axle nut but it didn't budge. Also the carrier bolts are tight. What gives? Did I dislodge a gear in my tranny? Its auto btw.

Edit: also if I spin the wheel by hand I don't feel or hear anything. And if I have the car jacked up in drive and leave the steering wheel turned it will do it.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 11-28-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM

make sure the axle is still seated properly into the trans. 4th and 5th gens seem to be finicky to get the proper axle for sometimes, ive worked on them where people put the wrong axle in and it chewed the hell out of the spines in the transmission and they ended up needing a new trans
Old 11-28-2014, 09:35 PM

I recently saw a case where a car with the Limited Slip Differential (LSD) transmission had an axle installed from regular transmission without LSD that caused an issue to surface on the passenger side.

There seems to be a difference in axle shaft length between LSD and non-LSD equipped cars.

Does your Maxima use LSD?

Here's something to check below.

There is a transmission model number on the VIN tag on the drivers side door jamb.
If that Number has a "V" in it that means your transmission has a Limited Slip Differential. LSD cars have slightly different axles from non-LSD cars. For example, transmission RE4F04V is limited slip and RE4F04A open differential.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:41 PM

The passenger axle is the same lsd and non lsd. Its non lsd anyway.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:49 AM

Sorry I stand corrected.

What brand and part number is the new axle?

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-29-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Sorry I stand corrected.

What brand and part number is the new axle?
Sorry I didnt mean to be rude. You're very helpful on this forum. I was frustrated.

The passenger axle is SURTRACK NI8147 from rockauto.

My only choice now is to pull it out and see what's going on. Hope I didnt mess up my tranny. I can't replace that anymore. Talk about bad luck. I just bought a new cat too because I failed emissions.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 AM

It looks like one of the most popular parts at Rock. I would have ordered it also.

I would just jack up the car and get someone to help turn the steering wheel while the wheel rotates to try to isolate the position/condition where the noise happens.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM

There seems to be a difference in axle shaft length between LSD and non-LSD equipped car. [/QUOTE]

This is correct, at least comparing a passenger auto non lsd axle and a manual lsd axle the manual is slightly shorter.
Not sure if this is needed info but if it's boxed wrong or parts store has bad info it may be wrong axle.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Pulled both axles. Splines on the axles and in the tranny were still ok. Still doing this grinding in the gear selector area. And it smells like burning rubber now. Time for a tranny replacement?

Axles on the passenger side are the same lsd, non lsd, auto or manual.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:51 PM

I sure hope for something other than a transmission replacement. At least there are plenty of wrecked Maxima's around in salvage yards to provide a donor.

A few years ago on my Q45 I heard a grinding sound coming from the transmission that I could feel in the gear selector. Since the grinding noise would come and go, and I was about 100 miles from home, I decided to take it easy and limp the car on home.

I managed to get roughly 8 miles from home when the transmission started making a noise like somebody had thrown a bunch of coins in a garbage disposal. I pulled off of the interstate and started through an exit intersection when the transmission completely locked up. When the transmission locked up the car started skidding.
So I was in the middle of the road with a car that would not roll. The only way to get the car out of the road was with a flat bed wrecker that pulled the car out of the street and up on the ramp. People offered to help push but it was like it was stuck in park.

Later I dissected the transmission and found shards of metal stuck in the planetary gears.

If you transmission is starting to make crunching noises, it could cause a wreck or leave you in a bad spot.

Can you pull the transmission pan and/or drain it to check for metal fragments? If you're not seeing any metal shavings on the pan magnet or in the screen, the noise may be something else.

Usually the transmissions in 4th gens hold up well. The transmission fluid in my I30 looked like burned motor oil when I got it from the previous owner. I thought it was toast. I managed to change it a few times when it cleared up and works ok now.

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-29-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM

I swapped back my old axle and I still have the same issue. I'm afraid the transmission is messed up. I will check the pan and look for shavings, but I think its too late.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 PM

It's been a few months since this noise started. I don't really have the time to fix it. I'm not convinced it's the trans anymore though. It shifts perfectly fine. I even drained and filled the fluid. It was just a little darker than usual. Nothing too bad. No shavings.

My next thought was wheel bearings, so I swapped in steering knuckles with good hubs and bearings. Still the same.

Now I have new motor mounts ready to install this weekend. My engine lifts alot when power braking. And that's also when that grinding appears as well.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 PM

I thought about this issue when I read the following thread a few days ago . Check it out to see if it will help.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...l-bearing.html
Old 02-19-2015, 10:29 PM

I thought about this issue when I read the following thread a few days ago . Check it out to see if it will help.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...l-bearing.html
I doubt this has anything to do with the wheel bearings or axles anymore. I swapped axles a few times already with my old ones.

It begins when i take off from a stop. It starts as a hard clunk and then grinding. The sound doesn't go away until I'm at least at the end of 2nd gear close to it shifting into 3rd. Or if I go really really slow it won't happen. If I really mash the throttle it will vibrate like crazy, but it shifts fine. Like I also mentioned, power braking replicates the noise with the addition of the motor lifting quite a bit.

I've lived on the org for the past few months reading thread after thread

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 02-19-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 AM

Axle shaft most likely popping out of outer CV joint at the splined junction here.

Last edited by asand1; 02-20-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Axle shaft most likely popping out of outer CV joint at the splined junction here.
That's possible, but with even my old axles that didn't make that sound before replacement?

If I can describe this "grinding" better it sounds like a long scratching of a skillet with a spatula.

I made a video of the noise, but there's too many other background noises and my breathing so there's probably no point.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:26 AM

Any chance a front brake shield could be rubbing the rotor under certain conditions?

Sent from my Z998 using Maxima
Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 AM

Any chance a front brake shield could be rubbing the rotor under certain conditions?

I thought that also. But the rotor isn't spinning when power braking. I pushed the shields in every possible way. Changed knuckles anyway and these shields are in better condition than my old ones.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 AM

I've noticed a noise on my I30 once in a while when I power brake. I'll check it tonight and report back if any similarities.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 PM

Fixed it. It really was the motor mount up front. Replaced front and rear. Not fun.

Also maybe the thread title is misleading.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 02-21-2015 at 08:22 PM.