4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Maxima Weird Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 AM

97 Maxima Weird Sound

Hey guys, just wanted to post real quick before I get to work to see if anyone had an idea of something going on off the top of their head. So, when the vehicle is cold, and I put it in gear (automatic), whether drive or reverse, there's a sound that is blatantly "different" than normal. Only happens cold, and goes away once warmed up. The only description of this sound is like a bearing going bad. I'll post something later when I get out of work, was hoping for a long shot preliminary idea. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 PM

I think I might be having the same issue with my car. It's hard to tell if it's a bearing or just new suspension. You should definitely have it checked out by a mechanic.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Samedi
Hey guys, just wanted to post real quick before I get to work to see if anyone had an idea of something going on off the top of their head. So, when the vehicle is cold, and I put it in gear (automatic), whether drive or reverse, there's a sound that is blatantly "different" than normal. Only happens cold, and goes away once warmed up. The only description of this sound is like a bearing going bad. I'll post something later when I get out of work, was hoping for a long shot preliminary idea. Thanks.
Is it a clunking sound? If so u may need to check your mounts..
Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jerrod99_se-l
Is it a clunking sound? If so u may need to check your mounts..
Not a clunking, just like a metal rattling or worn bearing. Only happens when cold and in gear. It's highly noticeable when inside the car, and disappears when under acceleration. I'll get it checked out this weekend and make sure to check all the fluids. I fear it may be a transmission deal, and have heard that replacing the fluids and filter does wonders for an older transmission.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by LJay
I think I might be having the same issue with my car. It's hard to tell if it's a bearing or just new suspension. You should definitely have it checked out by a mechanic.
Does your sound happen when stopped bit still in gear? Or only when driving?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:41 AM

My car has been making that sound for a long time and its not a wheel bearing. It happens when you start the car cold in the morning and it makes a loud growling or humming type of sound at idle with the car in park and when you put in drive and drive off it is less noticeable and completely disappears when the cars at normal operating temperatures. I opened my hood one day and touched the fuel filter hose the engine and I could feel that sound pulsating through the hose. There was a very long discussion thread on this topic and some one said it was the fuel pressure regulator making that sound. I had just recently replaced my fuel pump and my fuel pressure regulator with used oem original nissan fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator from an infiniti i30 and the sound has disappeared. Before it used to be a loud humming or growling type of noise but now it no longer seems to be heard. Plus the car has more power than ever before and fixed my starting issues. Maybe this might help. I also have a 97 maxima.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
My car has been making that sound for a long time and its not a wheel bearing. It happens when you start the car cold in the morning and it makes a loud growling or humming type of sound at idle with the car in park and when you put in drive and drive off it is less noticeable and completely disappears when the cars at normal operating temperatures. I opened my hood one day and touched the fuel filter hose the engine and I could feel that sound pulsating through the hose. There was a very long discussion thread on this topic and some one said it was the fuel pressure regulator making that sound. I had just recently replaced my fuel pump and my fuel pressure regulator with used oem original nissan fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator from an infiniti i30 and the sound has disappeared. Before it used to be a loud humming or growling type of noise but now it no longer seems to be heard. Plus the car has more power than ever before and fixed my starting issues. Maybe this might help. I also have a 97 maxima.
Was this the main reason why you replaced the fuel regulator and pump. Is this the type of problem though that could be ignored on an old car? (Assuming it isn't a major fuel system issue that leads to a big failure). I guess to me if it wasn't that loud I wouldn't want to mess around with the fuel regulator and esp. the pump, but not sure how loud it was for you and the OP.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

I'm having the same problem too. Well it sound like it. When I start the car it's like a humming sound or like a bearing sound. When I turn on my A/C and the clutch engage the sound get lower. I'm turning to figure that out too. Thank You.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by uttadms31
Was this the main reason why you replaced the fuel regulator and pump. Is this the type of problem though that could be ignored on an old car? (Assuming it isn't a major fuel system issue that leads to a big failure). I guess to me if it wasn't that loud I wouldn't want to mess around with the fuel regulator and esp. the pump, but not sure how loud it was for you and the OP.
No that was not the main reason why I replaced those parts. It was because the pump was bad and i just repalced both items at the same time to fix my extended crank issues which indeed were fixed. Plus the car started running like new again with power being restored.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:30 PM

This is exactly what I'm experiencing, also with LOW power everywhere. I'll look more into this.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:58 AM

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ine-noise.html

OP, check this link. Is this the sound you are talking about? I had the same sound on my 97 auto starting up in cold mornings.

Edit: wait I just realized max 97 se is the one that created the thread in the link lol...commented on it a while ago

Last edited by bumpypickle; 08-30-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ine-noise.html

OP, check this link. Is this the sound you are talking about? I had the same sound on my 97 auto starting up in cold mornings.

Edit: wait I just realized max 97 se is the one that created the thread in the link lol...commented on it a while ago
Thinking back to when I was cleaning the EGR tube and IACV, a fitting resembling the one in the link was not connected when I was putting everything back together. It was strange because when I was connecting it, it seemed like it hadn't been connected for a while, because the whole connection had gunk on it, just like everything else in the engine bay. Anyway, I'm thinking it may be this, and I'm going to reinspect this line.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:11 AM

yeah it appears alot of our cars are experiencing this problem with that line. I always wondered what that intermittent beeping/droning noise was and this guy hit it
Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 PM

Alright guys, here's the sound. Should be pretty clear. I'm thinking timing chain or tensioner. Only happens when in drive, and it's not as prominent and almost goes away when driven a ways. REALLY ANNOYING! What's the org's thoughts on this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Can't see nuttin'. Video is private.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Can't see nuttin'. Video is private.
Fixed
Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Never had a problem or sound like that. Your sound and problem sounds related to something else. Maybe bad motor mounts which put stress on the pulleys or something like that. Also when you crank it up it sounds really weird and takes kind of long to fire up. Have the engine checked up.

Last edited by Maxima 97 SE; 09-04-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Samedi
Alright guys, here's the sound. Should be pretty clear. I'm thinking timing chain or tensioner. Only happens when in drive, and it's not as prominent and almost goes away when driven a ways. REALLY ANNOYING! What's the org's thoughts on this? Any help would be much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/7jaVhjjMKbs
After a couple of more bouts of research, I am confident it has something to do with the timing chain. Being that this motor is broken in (220k) I'm going to take a look this weekend. I saw an extensive guidelines (on another forum) about this "marbles in a can" rattling and this is the sound, coming from the correct area. In doing this, I'll also be removing the guides, as I've read you don't actually need them and I'll try servicing the tensioner and see if that helps. I'm hoping a tensioner is just frozen with gunk and it can be cleaned and services. Less cost, less time (hopefully). Anyway, I'll be doing a write-up for this as I go and see if it fixes the issue. It'll give me something to do over the long weekend.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 AM

Never had a problem or sound like that. Your sound and problem sounds related to something else. Maybe bad motor mounts which put stress on the pulleys or something like that. Also when you crank it up it sounds really weird and takes kind of long to fire up. Have the engine checked up.
Replacing fuel filter today as it cuts in and out sporadically. Taking a long time may be the spark plugs. I'm guessing, going to inspect those, as well. She should be running right by Monday. This will be the second timing chain thing I gotta do, got a Scion waiting for a complete timing kit all torn apart in my garage now. FML
Old 09-04-2015, 11:35 AM

IMO (which might not be worth much) sounds like horrible timing chain rattle.

I used to have a TC rattle (never that bad though) and when I did my water pump the tensioner was removed and cleaned. It seemed to help immensely with my TC rattle, pretty much non-existent anymore. Doesn't matter if the motor is hot or cold.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 AM

The noise sounds like it's coming from the timing chains, with 220k miles I suppose it may be the case, rattle like that sounds like chains all over the place, if u fix it, may last u another 220k miles before you even fix it again !
Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 AM

Was there ever a final diagnosis on this issue? I am experiencing the same symptoms with my 99 max. I have replaced the timing chain tensioner before but that was around 2009. I've always had a little timing chain rattle when I first start it up, but it generally goes away after a few secs. Just as mentioned above, it is making the same noise only when I put the car in gear (drive and reverse). It goes away after the car warms up.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 AM
JvG

I don't see hows the timing chain tensioner would operate any differently if the car is in gear or not.

If the sound depends on whether the car is in gear or not, the transmission might cause the sound.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:12 AM

That definitely makes sense. However the sound is the exact same as what you hear in the video posted above and it appears to be coming from under the timing chain cover. That's why I was wondering if the original poster ever figured it out?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM
JvG

bringing up old threads from 18 months ago or longer for general discussion reasons is ok.

Generally don't expect a reply from the original poster. They might have sold their car.