4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thinking of trading/selling my Maxima with 293,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Thinking of trading/selling my Maxima with 293,000 miles

Just trying to get other people's opinion on what I should do. I basically decided after a few quotes of like $1,200 for power steering/front end suspension work (even at the cheapest 2 mechanic shops) I think I want to upgrade to a different car this year.

My thing though, I don't know what to do. People are so quick to say sell it, but I don't want to do it for something crazy like $500. The paint is flawless Snow White (couple dents, but nothing distinguishing). The interior has been restored to Infiniti leather all around to the door covers. The window plastic was switched to infinit i30 wood. Metal interior locks from the i30. DVD player in the dash, upgraded speakers...but no sound system or anything. Engine can make it from Miami to Seattle and on a synthetic oil change...maybe burn 1/4 quart of oil...and that's driving hard. Mobil 1, Pure One or Nissan Filters. is Transmission is holding up, even though a mechanic cited something in 3rd gear might be an issue (which I don't quite -agree). No crazy modifications to the engine or wheels. Crystal clear headlights.

Anyway, not trying to make a sale here...but you can see why it's hard to give it away. But at the same time, I'm kinda getting bored of it TBH and 300,000 is a lot of miles....especially when I expect to put on atleast another 20,000 in the next year or so.

I would like to upgrade to a q45 or i35. But I'm concerned about price and the fact they don't make those anymore. And the q45 engine looks like a BEAST. V8, gas guzzler...but I SOOO want a 98-2002 model. They are bad *** I think. At this point, an Infiniti from 98-2004 is what I'm aiming for. Even a qx4 sounds okay...but I'm not crazy about SUVs because tires are so expensive. (I go thru new tires every 2 years)

I'm not really looking to finance or lease a newer car either. So I'm kinda stuck with cars under $3,000-4,000...or maybe something I can pay off in a couple months or something.

Opinions?

Last edited by 97_GXE; 02-11-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 PM

I think you should keep the car. Sounds like you've spent a lot of time & money with this car. Don't forget about the memories. Or better yet, keep both. Keep the Max as a dd & get another car for the weekends or for whenever. That's what I would do. But with the $1,200+ work that needs to be done, now I see. But I say, keep it! But it is all up to you though...
Old 02-12-2016, 12:53 AM

Tough choice....what work ? If its A powersteering hose and some shocks ur about to get raped lol.....get some tools and go on youtube. Off topic but is that the original tranny on there with almost 300k? Our cars our the same practically so just wondering as mines is about to hit 200K soon.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:50 AM
JvG

Many buyers would look at the 300k miles, and offer little.

If 1200 bucks would keep it on the road another year, that's only 100 a month for transportation expense. Unless something else expensive goes out.

At this point, much depends on your own mechanical ability and desire. The car will continue to need work by now. The power steering and suspension work can be done for a fraction of 1200 bucks.

Even the transmission is just a few hundred at the junk yard, or you might be able to find a low milage jdm transmission.

A 3000 to 4000 dollar car will need quite a bit of work before it runs as well as the car you have now. So it might be a 5 to 6 k car. Especially if you don't do your own work.

I can understand wanting a different car after a while . I've had mine for ten years and 100k miles of driving. The car has 205k on it now. My transmission has an output shaft leak, and I might as well do the clutch while I'm in there. I will do most of this myself.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM

If your budget is only $3-4000, then you may be better off fixing. If you have extra money each paycheck, save it for a future car. Like making a payment to yourself. Then you can sell your car, and have some extra cash to buy something a little better.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:31 PM

I say fix it, you don't want to be buying someone else's problem with their car, people abuse them too much.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:07 PM

It still has 300k on it no matter what you try to say about it. Very few people would even consider buying something with that much mileage and unfortunately for you, that makes it almost worthless.

I would keep the car and run it into the ground. You don't really have anything to lose except a few hundred dollars if you sold it.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you don't like it, get rid of it. No point in spending money on a car you don't enjoy. Get yourself an infiniti I30t and you should be good to go for a little while.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 AM

Thanks guys. Basically it's my rack and pinion. But also some of the control arms also I think need replaced. The main thing is the vibration it's causing.

I do MOST of my own maintenance work. And the cooling system I have figured out previous overheating issues and everything except the water pump and hoses have been replaced, which are fine. I can pretty much do any engine work that doesn't require 2 people...like removing motor mounts and suspension parts.

When I bought this car, is was around $2,300 At 130,000 miles. And I really didn't have to fix anything except some new tires and it rode smooth. So I think 3-4K could get something atleast in the 2000s. Not that cars in the 2000s are necessarily more reliable lol.

Right now I'm not actually planning to sell it. I have to drive it 1,000 miles later this week..and hope my rack and pinion doesn't fly off from vibration. I might try to see what I could done in the meantime.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 02-15-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
Thanks guys. Basically it's my rack and pinion. But also some of the control arms also I think need replaced. The main thing is the vibration it's causing.

What kind of rims do you have on your car? Do you have spacers?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
I would like to upgrade to a q45 or i35. But I'm concerned about price and the fact they don't make those anymore. And the q45 engine looks like a BEAST. V8, gas guzzler...but I SOOO want a 98-2002 model. They are bad *** I think. At this point, an Infiniti from 98-2004 is what I'm aiming for. Even a qx4 sounds okay...but I'm not crazy about SUVs because tires are so expensive. (I go thru new tires every 2 years)

Opinions?
Going from your 97 to a 98 or even an 04 model isn't buying you that much more car. It could in fact, buy you the same maintenance costs you're at now with your 97.

My .02 - Save a little more $$ and get something in the 5 year old range, off lease, traded in or certified used. You'll get many years of maintenance free service from a vehicle in that age range.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 PM

You should fix it. Keep it as a daily beater & save some $ along with that income tax $$ & go for something used certified from a dealership. The new car (new to you) that you get could be kept nicer & won't be driven everyday.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM

Let the car go and get another car. While the Maxima is pretty reliable, all parts eventually need to be replaced. Time is not on your side when it comes to old cars.

As njmaxseltd said, dig a little deeper into the pocket and go for something newer.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Let the car go and get another car. While the Maxima is pretty reliable, all parts eventually need to be replaced. Time is not on your side when it comes to old cars.

As njmaxseltd said, dig a little deeper into the pocket and go for something newer.
My max has 443,000 and counting...I picked up an 06 altima with less than 100,000 miles...I love the max so I can't part with it...but parts are failing slowly but surely...the motor is solid...mostly like yours, suspension parts...so when the weather warms up, I'm going to replace the front suspension....keep your max, pick up another ride and work on the max slowly...with you having another car you can take your time with it and make sure it's done right...
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 AM

Not worth selling it, either fix it up or have another car to drive around until the max is fixed slowly.. these cars are too bulletproof to get rid of.. remember they don't make them like that anymore..they're adding too much electronics, which in the long run will be way more expensive having electronics

Or you can buy a low mileage max with same paint color and swap good parts
Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 PM

A low mileage Max is not a bad idea either^
Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
What kind of rims do you have on your car? Do you have spacers?
I don't have "rims", I just have the 09 Altima steel wheels and Nissan rouge hubcaps.

But you know what, I think I figured out something I've been suspecting for awhile. The vibration on my car only becomes apparent on rain grooved highways. If you haven't heard of it, check out this link: http://www.thevog.net/threads/rain-g...nemesis.12917/

So when I'm driving on this highway, it must be doing something to my worn out rack and pinion to cause excess vibration. I've relocated 1,000 miles away, and this week I need to return to get my max and drive it back. I've decided I'm going to drive a route more south to try to avoid grooved pavement.

Knock on wood, the other thing I like about it is I've never had any a/c related issues. I've never had a car go 300,000 and not have to replace Evaps and compressors. Then again, my former cars were Florida driven. This one only sees about 5 months of summer. But my new location gets about 7-8 months I think.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
Not worth selling it, either fix it up or have another car to drive around until the max is fixed slowly.. these cars are too bulletproof to get rid of.. remember they don't make them like that anymore..they're adding too much electronics, which in the long run will be way more expensive having electronics

Or you can buy a low mileage max with same paint color and swap good parts
If I did that, I'd go with an i30. But then I'd be taking parts from the max to use on the i30 lol.

But what do you guys think of the 97-02 q45? I've been researching those and have seen em anywhere from $2,000 to 5,000. But I just don't know how accessible parts would be for a car like that, which was only in production for a few years. Do you think it shares most engine parts with i30 and max?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:10 PM
JvG

Generally less common cars will have less common parts.
Which means that you will have a more difficult time finding the parts, and they will cost more.

It's likely that the forums for the q 45 will have fewer members. So less help.

The q 45 is cheap for the same reason older Mercedes or BMW.

Pain in the A$$.

My understanding is that their parts are not shared with the Maximas.

Dang tempting thought though.