4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cv boot replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:49 PM

cv boot replacement options

what are my options for replacing the cv boot that is ripped up. Should i just replace the whole shaft.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Nissan sells boot repair kits for around $30 to $33 each. So it will take an inner and outer for each axle. Figure $63 to $65 per side + shipping.

What type of axle are you looking to repair, OEM or aftermarket? If you have aftermarkets, you can replace them for about the same price as buying Nissan repair boots. I don't know how long other boot replacement kits will last.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Rit

For xx years, I have always repaired torn boots with "half-boot" kits, and I couldn't find the correct size for my Maxima, so I replaced the half-axle on both side, and it was easier than putting on the half-boots. From now on, I will always replace the axle. I bought lifetime axles from Advance Auto for about $60 and I am happy with them - but I have only had them on for about 6 months. However, I see no reason for them to fail, and when they do, I will get a replacement for free from Advance.

Go for it !
Old 12-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rit
For xx years, I have always repaired torn boots with "half-boot" kits, and I couldn't find the correct size for my Maxima, so I replaced the half-axle on both side, and it was easier than putting on the half-boots. From now on, I will always replace the axle. I bought lifetime axles from Advance Auto for about $60 and I am happy with them - but I have only had them on for about 6 months. However, I see no reason for them to fail, and when they do, I will get a replacement for free from Advance.

Go for it !
I'm at a crossroads with some AA axles that I've been using over the past 5 years. I've replaced six axles on three 4th gens with AA axles. Recently I tried a new axle from O'Reilly that is made by Trackmotive. So far so good but it will take years to know how long the boots will hold up.

All of the AA axles I've purchased have been GSP brand. I may have had one that was noisy some years ago, but AA's no hassle return policy and the fact they keep them in stock, made for a quick change out.

The boots on GSP axles seem to split somewhere between 3 to 5 years. So I can keep taking them back to get new axles. Right now I've got a set with split boots that are 5 years old that I will be returning for new ones.

It looks like I have a lifetime supply of AA axles as long as I don't mind swapping them out every 3 to 5 years.

The thing I consider with any aftermarket axle is availability and speed for replacement when one fails. AA keeps what I need in stock so I don't have to ship out anything or wait for a replacement. Just stop by the store and get a replacement.

Any part that I order from AA comes from their online site. It lets me keep an online purchase history so I don't have to worry about trying to find a receipt 5 years later. I order online and specify "in store" pickup. They have the part pulled and ready when I get to the store. Using the TRT41 online coupon code I can get a set of axles for about $102.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-11-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:36 PM

I just got Autozone's Duralast reman axles installed last month. They seem to be holding up well. You can buy them online with a promo code and then return the core to your local store. They are reboxed A1 Cardone reman, and come with a lifetime warranty.

Napa's reman axles are also Cardone, but they cost more and only have a 3-year warranty.

Cardone only uses OE cores in their reman axles and scraps any non-OE cores they receive. My experience with Cardone's axles has been good.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I'm at a crossroads with some AA axles that I've been using over the past 5 years. I've replaced six axles on three 4th gens with AA axles. Recently I tried a new axle from O'Reilly that is made by Trackmotive. So far so good but it will take years to know how long the boots will hold up.

All of the AA axles I've purchased have been GSP brand. I may have had one that was noisy some years ago, but AA's no hassle return policy and the fact they keep them in stock, made for a quick change out.

The boots on GSP axles seem to split somewhere between 3 to 5 years. So I can keep taking them back to get new axles. Right now I've got a set with split boots that are 5 years old that I will be returning for new ones.

It looks like I have a lifetime supply of AA axles as long as I don't mind swapping them out every 3 to 5 years.

The thing I consider with any aftermarket axle is availability and speed for replacement when one fails. AA keeps what I need in stock so I don't have to ship out anything or wait for a replacement. Just stop by the store and get a replacement.

Any part that I order from AA comes from their online site. It lets me keep an online purchase history so I don't have to worry about trying to find a receipt 5 years later. I order online and specify "in store" pickup. They have the part pulled and ready when I get to the store. Using the TRT41 online coupon code I can get a set of axles for about $102.
Nice think i'm gonna check out Advance Auto's site and see what they have. thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rit

Go for it !
I am not seeing life time axles on advance's web site. I see limited but it only mentions a 90 day warranty. Do you mind posting a link.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:39 PM

Be sure to think about including a new transmission seal in the purchase. The first time I replaced a CV axle, I thought the old seal would be fine. It started leaking a few days later. Then I had to pull the new axle and replace the seal.

I've been using National brand oil and transmission seals for years without incident. Actually, the seals last longer than the CV axles. Ha!

National seals can cost more than OEM unless you are including them in an order where you get a 30 to 40 percent discount. I've used both OEM and National over the years. I have no preference for that item. It's just a convenience thing and being able to get one on a weekend versus a weekday.

A couple of weeks ago, I replaced both axle on the SE 5-MT and used new National seal again. I took it for a 30 mile test drive and made this picture of the passenger side. No leaks. The old National seal had been running for over 3 years. As you can see that area is dry as a bone.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-11-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
I just got Autozone's Duralast reman axles installed last month. They seem to be holding up well. You can buy them online with a promo code and then return the core to your local store. They are reboxed A1 Cardone reman, and come with a lifetime warranty.

Napa's reman axles are also Cardone, but they cost more and only have a 3-year warranty.

Cardone only uses OE cores in their reman axles and scraps any non-OE cores they receive. My experience with Cardone's axles has been good.
autozone says limited warranty/ do i need locking or non locking
Old 12-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Rit

Originally Posted by maximaham
I am not seeing life time axles on advance's web site. I see limited but it only mentions a 90 day warranty. Do you mind posting a link.
Online it says Limited Lifetime - I assume that means Lifetime, right ?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Here's a thread on how to determine LSD (locking) vs. non-locking.

When you add the item to the shopping cart it shows the warranty.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...sd-no-lsd.html
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 PM

autozone says limited warranty/ do i need locking or non locking
Do you have a limited-slip differential, or not?

Locking = limited slip diff
Non-locking = open diff
Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 PM

Ok so i jack the front of the car up. Stun one wheel one way and the opposite wheel turned in the other direction. So that means i do not have limited slip. I have open differential

Last edited by maximaham; 12-11-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:20 AM

I would check the plate in this post from asand1.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9127101

::

Also, if you are replacing the passenger side, check out this post.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9131498

The axles for a LSD transmission have a double set of transmission splines. Non-LSD has a single set. It's an easy thing to check at a store before you leave with the wrong axle.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-12-2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I would check the plate in this post from asand1.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9127101

Also, if you are replacing the passenger side, check out this post.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9131498

The axles for a LSD transmission have a double set of transmission splines. Non-LSD has a single set. It's an easy thing to check at a store before you leave with the wrong axle.
Ok so i have open/non locking dif. Does it matter if the new axle i purchase is abs or non abs. just wondering my maxima is non abs.
Attached Thumbnails cv boot replacement options-non-locking-differintial.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 04:20 AM

Ok so i have open/non locking dif. Does it matter if the new axle i purchase is abs or non abs. just wondering my maxima is non abs.
It doesn't. Every replacement axle that I've purchased has come with the ABS sensor ring. However, only one out of four 4th gens came with ABS. They all worked on the non-ABS cars. I think on my first axle replacement job, I took a chisel and snapped off the ABS ring. Then I realized it didn't matter and left the ring in place.