5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why do u guys mod ur Max??! For what?!Race who?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 12:58 AM

Truth be told, when i first got my 00'SE, i couldnt stand the earlier 16 inchers that came with it. So i got a set of 18" OZs and even before that i had limo tint put on. Along with a few other interior accessories, my car is done with mods. But after knowing this site recently, im almost surprised to see that so many people put all kinds of mods in this "family sedan". From intake to exhausts to SCs. I pondered a SC in the beginning, but Stillen didnt have it ready at the time and i have other cars for going fast or slow purposes. After 1+years and 22,000 miles im pretty satisfied with the Max's speed and its grocery getting capabilities. However, i see people spending money on mods that doesnt look like it does much(except for a SC). I got a Audi A4 1.8t after the Max and i have to say, after a chip and exhaust it feels faster than the Max, a friend did a 14.7 thru the 1/4 with a samiliar A4 set-up. Dont think a Max can achieve that without a SC. The reason why i didnt f!ck with the Max is because the SC is too expensive and its basically a "family sedan". I think my car looks mean and fast, but its not often that i get challenged on the streets, because of its concervative status. So i dont know why some of us, mod our cars more than i and go out looking for prey. Face it, who's gonna take this "4 dr sports car" seriously, at a stop light??!! Not even me, to be honest. I get much more action in my audi, maybe because of its riced out exhaust, but i really want to meet those of u who live in SoCal and have a run with u guys. I organize drives in this area and i never see any Max's being driven hard!

John.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by johnsmax
Truth be told, when i first got my 00'SE, i couldnt stand the earlier 16 inchers that came with it. So i got a set of 18" OZs and even before that i had limo tint put on. Along with a few other interior accessories, my car is done with mods. But after knowing this site recently, im almost surprised to see that so many people put all kinds of mods in this "family sedan". From intake to exhausts to SCs. I pondered a SC in the beginning, but Stillen didnt have it ready at the time and i have other cars for going fast or slow purposes. After 1+years and 22,000 miles im pretty satisfied with the Max's speed and its grocery getting capabilities. However, i see people spending money on mods that doesnt look like it does much(except for a SC). I got a Audi A4 1.8t after the Max and i have to say, after a chip and exhaust it feels faster than the Max, a friend did a 14.7 thru the 1/4 with a samiliar A4 set-up. Dont think a Max can achieve that without a SC. The reason why i didnt f!ck with the Max is because the SC is too expensive and its basically a "family sedan". I think my car looks mean and fast, but its not often that i get challenged on the streets, because of its concervative status. So i dont know why some of us, mod our cars more than i and go out looking for prey. Face it, who's gonna take this "4 dr sports car" seriously, at a stop light??!! Not even me, to be honest. I get much more action in my audi, maybe because of its riced out exhaust, but i really want to meet those of u who live in SoCal and have a run with u guys. I organize drives in this area and i never see any Max's being driven hard!

John.
there are a bunch of people that have run 14.8's bone stock and one guy that ran a 14.6 bone stock...a guy i used to work w/ had an a4 1.8T 5spd w/ a 2 stage chip and i could beat him all the time...i honestly didn't get messed with too much when i was stock unless i instigated the race...now people come running to me to race...i am not a big fan of the a4...it is very bland in my opinion...i have driven them and they didn't seem like anything special...lots of people in so-cal that will race you (i'm in arizona if you ever come over here)

all of the maxima commercials make it seem like more of a sports car (skidding through the desert, chasing the sun, etc...) try to race your friend in his a4 1.8t...
Old 06-08-2001, 02:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wanna find somebody to race?
bring ur A4 to the maxima day....this saturday.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:43 AM

Actually i have a Maxima and a A4 and something twice as fast. Im out of the state right now, but will not miss the next Maxima day.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:47 AM

If they really ran on a drag strip and turn in 14.something thats very impressive. I have both the max and the A4, the max might actually e faster but the A4 "feels" faster. I cant race with myself but thats my seat of the pants feel. Of course, if i have a body kit like u, people would get the point and flock around to race me!

John.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

let me drive ur A4. I race ya...

I cant race with myself but thats my seat of the pants feel.

John.
Old 06-08-2001, 05:43 AM
PhatGuy

John.
Your not driving a 5spd Max are you? A stock 5pd Max would rock a 1.8T A4 stock for stock. The 5spd Max would be on par with an A4 with basic mods as well. This thread is a joke right? Maxima has had a rep for years to be a fast car and a good price. Have you never been to New York City during the late 80's- 90's man the Maxima was "da bad mon waggon" for a long time. I believe with the little spiteful comments you are just trying to flame. If you really drive a 2K 5pd Maxima you wouldn't be making those comments.

Old 06-08-2001, 06:26 AM
Got Bent?

modding is not simply to race. Do you not find it fun working on your car to make it faster and better? It is not a matter of trying to beat every other car out there. Rather, it is making the car you have better than what it was and enjoying it at the same time.
Old 06-08-2001, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
modding is not simply to race. Do you not find it fun working on your car to make it faster and better? It is not a matter of trying to beat every other car out there. Rather, it is making the car you have better than what it was and enjoying it at the same time.

But i want to beat every car out there
nah i just do it for a hobby
Old 06-08-2001, 06:46 AM

I have an ongoing friendly "feud" with a friend who has a Passat 1.8T 5 speed with a bunch of mods. He just recently outdynoed me (207 wheel hp versus 205 for the Max) to do that required a new turbo, downpipe, exhaust and chip. The 1.8T is a good engine with alot of potential. But, for me, the Max is a better choice.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:08 AM

HP?

You got 205 to the wheels with just Y, and CAI?? Agree with the other guys that we mod to improve the car and not just to race everyone in sight. You can also enjoy mods on the twisties in the mountains by yourself.

Originally posted by madmax2k
I have an ongoing friendly "feud" with a friend who has a Passat 1.8T 5 speed with a bunch of mods. He just recently outdynoed me (207 wheel hp versus 205 for the Max) to do that required a new turbo, downpipe, exhaust and chip. The 1.8T is a good engine with alot of potential. But, for me, the Max is a better choice.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:17 AM

I was going to bring up your name. I'm glad you posted. Your web link http://4sfed.bigsitecity.com seems to be a baseball site now. How's the GLHS coming along?

Originally posted by madmax2k
Old 06-08-2001, 08:55 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I just have the measely 4th gen Maxima and I've busted out quite a few 14.7s and 14.8s with pretty slow 60 foots. It's your opinion about the Maxima, but I don't know where you're coming from because the A4 is just a family sedan too. Honestly, I don't consider a chipped A4 much of a threat. I know the AWD launch will get me (if it had AWD), but I know I will catch it by 60 and walk it. It takes some pretty substainal mods to get a A4 in the consistent mid 14s.

Why did I mod my Maxima? Because I want better handling, braking, and acceleration and to set it apart from the rest. My car is nearly quiet as stock, but is over .6 seconds quicker and 3mph faster than stock. Not bad for $700 in engine mods with no difference in driveability other than the fact the car is much quicker after 65mph.

Dave
Old 06-08-2001, 09:53 AM

Some of the folks here are enthusiasts, so they like to build the Maxima up to make it the best and best-looking that they can afford and to keep it in great shape for as long as possible. Others do it for the speed factor, but whether they actually race with others, go to an autocross, or just zip around as fast as they can to the next stop sign or red street light is up to them. Then there's the hobbyist who likes to tinker around with the car to see what he/she can do with it.

I have a stock SE at the moment, and I don't plan on modifying my Maxima too much. I bought splash guards for her a few months back, I'll get a bra when it comes back from the shop, then up next will most likely be a Courtesy FSTB. These things are managable for what I allow for my car in my budget. If I want to spend more then maybe a FSB, upgrade to the stock 17" rims, and possibly some neon lights under the dash. The Maxima is a great car as-is, so I know I don't have to do much to it to make it better for me. I'm happy with its performance, and don't need to prove it to others by adding to it with much more.

All I can say is 'different strokes for different folks.'
Old 06-08-2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by KennyLau

Definitely! Personally, even though I don't choose to mod to the max (no pun intended ), I respect highly the folks on the .org that know our cars inside out and appreciate the bits of knowledge that they pass on for all the Max owners. I find myself living vicariously through these guys quite often.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:51 AM

Re: : Why do u guys mod ur Max??! For what?!Race who?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Mod the Maxima to enjoy what we drive, most of the true car freaks on the .org make their car an extension of their own body and as the nissan motto goes.....Enjoy the Ride....
Not to mention that, who here likes STILLEN, besides Avalon who likes to kiss their a$$ ??
This is the reason I created a new company, a spin off of the Street Tribe I am part of..... Maxximum Tuning.
Since I have Subaru owners next to me, and my closest friend owns one, made me open a new shop in Philadelphia, known as Accurit Performance...already developed an intake system for 2.5RS, and 3.0" SS Rear section as well as a full cat back exhaust.
Y Mod ? Cause its people like STILLEN who start the craze and they think they own the market...but watch your a$$ STILLEN, I'm coming to get you....Especially the sales administrator @ Sports Cars, aka Jeff. Your time draws near as my friend graduates boot camp on the west coast, I will show you who you are f***ing with...

-Peace
Hogan, definitely a man on a mission.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:55 AM

Not to mention that, who here likes STILLEN, besides Avalon who likes to kiss their a$$ ??...Cause its people like STILLEN who start the craze and they think they own the market...but watch your a$$ STILLEN, I'm coming to get you....Especially the sales administrator @ Sports Cars, aka Jeff. Your time draws near as my friend graduates boot camp on the west coast, I will show you who you are f***ing with...
Whoa, a lot of anger there, dude.

Well, if you ever come up with an FSB that's just as good, but much less expensive than Stillen, put me on the list of buyers. Good luck with your plans.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mod the Maxima to enjoy what we drive, most of the true car freaks on the .org make their car an extension of their own body and as the nissan motto goes.....Enjoy the Ride....
Not to mention that, who here likes STILLEN, besides Avalon who likes to kiss their a$$ ??
This is the reason I created a new company, a spin off of the Street Tribe I am part of..... Maxximum Tuning.
Since I have Subaru owners next to me, and my closest friend owns one, made me open a new shop in Philadelphia, known as Accurit Performance...already developed an intake system for 2.5RS, and 3.0" SS Rear section as well as a full cat back exhaust.
Y Mod ? Cause its people like STILLEN who start the craze and they think they own the market...but watch your a$$ STILLEN, I'm coming to get you....Especially the sales administrator @ Sports Cars, aka Jeff. Your time draws near as my friend graduates boot camp on the west coast, I will show you who you are f***ing with...

-Peace

I think the Max IS a great ride - Enjoy the Ride - it's a sweet looking car and has good acceleration - enough to keep up or dust most other sedans. But it's not a sports car. I mod mine because I enjoy having as fast a ride as possible - not because I'm trying to turn it into a sports car. It's not even going to be close to that unless do major internal engine mods, get a SC ect.

As far as Stillen - I'm not a Stillen fan nor detractor. If you don't like Stillen's prices don't buy from from them - no one is "forcing" you to pay their prices. That's the way the economy has always worked, a vendor will charge whatever the market will bear - it's business, free-enterprise. They are not in the charity business. So I don't have a problem with their prices or anyone's prices - if I feel a price is too high I look elsewhere.

Now, customer service or support - that's another matter. If you pay the price a vendor asks and you don't get proper support on the back-end, after the sale - then you've got a legitimate beef. This is part of the price you pay and a part of the product (unless it's made clear you do not get any service/support, period). From what I hear Stillen has got a long way to go in this regard.

Anyway, enjoy your Max, and mod as far as your wallet lets you!
Old 06-09-2001, 01:17 PM

John.
Man, this is a wrong post on the wrong forum... are you with the type-S guys or something?
You say you don't understand why we mod our "family sedan"... well, why are you modding your A4? What do you think that is?

Actually i have a Maxima and a A4 and something twice as fast. Im out of the state right now, but will not miss the next Maxima day.
Alot of the other Max owners on this forum have other cars that are faster also... look at my sig. You are compairing apples and oranges

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a d**k, but it sounds like you are issuing a challenge... a challenge that most of the people on this forum will take you up on.
And if you are going to bust out with non-Max vehicles, I will be happy to oblige!

yo_its_ok

You go on with your bad self!!! Get those Stillen m*th*rf**k*rs!!! Dealing with them once was enough for me, and it wasn't even a big item. I order a catalog from them, they charged my card but I never received it. When I called them, they said " We sent it out, may have gotten lost in the mail, sorry. You will have to pay for another one."
ok, I vented... feel better now.
Old 06-09-2001, 05:39 PM

My two-cents

Why do I mod? Well, if it wasn't for guys like punkdork, yo_its_ok, Y2KevSE, yongjun, Srmtn, Medsonic, Rba, AznWontonboy, FastCat etc. I probably wouldn't have even started.

But after slowly getting into it with the FSTB, then the POP-Charger, then the RSB, I find myself really enjoying tuning the performance for my personal enjoyment.

Sure it's cool to blow past people in the twisties with confidence, but knowing I've actually done the work (with a TON of help and encouragement from the guys listed above (and the other's I didn't... sorry guys)) which is something I've never done before.

Two more mods for me before I probably cool down a bit:
1. Y-pipe
2. Coilovers or something to that effect to drop her JUST a hair and improve the handling even more.

As the saying goes: Nissan... Driven. I am.

Old 06-10-2001, 12:37 PM

Re: Re: My two-cents

Get it right....DRIVEN to Enjoy The Ride in the Human Race.

-
I suspect that after "The Fast and Furious" movie appears next month, more peeps will enjoy modding Max's. The Maxima will be playing one of the staring rolls.(4th gen) I love seeing each of you with your works in progress and Maxima enhancements. I guess it boils down to " don't hate the players, hate the game!!" Modding is fashion.....in all areas and all cars currently.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:23 PM
WrXbOy2

I think the Maxima is a beautiful car. I never realized they were so fast. If I had to buy a car all over again, it would definitely be a Maxima.

Old 06-10-2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by KennyLau
Some of the folks here are enthusiasts, so they like to build the Maxima up to make it the best and best-looking that they can afford and to keep it in great shape for as long as possible. Others do it for the speed factor, but whether they actually race with others, go to an autocross, or just zip around as fast as they can to the next stop sign or red street light is up to them. Then there's the hobbyist who likes to tinker around with the car to see what he/she can do with it.

I have a stock SE at the moment, and I don't plan on modifying my Maxima too much. I bought splash guards for her a few months back, I'll get a bra when it comes back from the shop, then up next will most likely be a Courtesy FSTB. These things are managable for what I allow for my car in my budget. If I want to spend more then maybe a FSB, upgrade to the stock 17" rims, and possibly some neon lights under the dash. The Maxima is a great car as-is, so I know I don't have to do much to it to make it better for me. I'm happy with its performance, and don't need to prove it to others by adding to it with much more.

I have been poncering getting splash guards from Courtesy Nissan. Do you have any pics?
Old 06-10-2001, 11:10 PM

Face it, who's gonna take this "4 dr sports car" seriously, at a stop light??!!
John.
That's funny, my first day with my max, I was being surrounded my tegs and civics. I felt like a whale with a bunch of dolphins around it swimming in the same direction and it's always a mustang, honda's, or ford probes that race past me when i'm cruisin. So I would say i get prenty of action. But I pass on it since I don't want to waste my time racing cars that are not in my class. I'm not trashing those car cause I am a car enthusiast just like the people on this board. I mod for the hobby and the love of it. I like cars and I am facinated by how they work. But anyways, just my opinion. Take care people.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Menacer

That's funny, my first day with my max, I was being surrounded my tegs and civics. I felt like a whale with a bunch of dolphins around it swimming in the same direction and it's always a mustang, honda's, or ford probes that race past me when i'm cruisin. So I would say i get prenty of action. But I pass on it since I don't want to waste my time racing cars that are not in my class. I'm not trashing those car cause I am a car enthusiast just like the people on this board. I mod for the hobby and the love of it. I like cars and I am facinated by how they work. But anyways, just my opinion. Take care people.
Yep, I also get alot of Hondas, Acuras, BMWs, Fords, Mazdas, VWs... basically all kinds starting races with my Max. Don't partake in all of them, but most
Old 06-11-2001, 12:03 AM

we the fortunate but not very fortunate

many of us may have the extra cash to modify a maxima, but not all of us have the extra cash to purchase another car like you. there are many ways to modify the car, one for aesthetics, another for speed, and my favorite, would be for what i consider part of luxury, is modifying the stereo. It is true that the stereo weighs down the car and may make it slower, but at least i can feel good listening to music and hearing many notes that are not as noticeable when being played by a factory bose speaker. You can consider the valve body mod as a performance mod, but the reason i wanted it was because the way the auto tranny shifts in stock form is just pathetic. a supercharger? not neccarily to race, but to know that i have the potential. just like why people drive ferarris. do they alwasy use teh extra horse power they pay for? i doubt it. do they buy it to race others? no. it's to fufill their personally materialistic goals. many of us can fufill our dreams in terms of cars with a simple pop charger, because that's maybe all we can afford at the time, but for others, maybe a pop charger is not enough, so they get faster cars since they can afford it, people like you. i too often find myself thinking that modifying a car is a waste of money, but what's the difference in modifying a maxima from an audi? they're both cars and they are both hobbies. so you ask, "So i dont know why some of us, mod our cars more than i and go out looking for prey. Face it, who's gonna take this "4 dr sports car" seriously, at a stop light??!! " well maybe that's not the reason why we are fixing up our cars.. (with the exception of don) hehe j/p
Old 06-11-2001, 12:25 AM

Actually i have a 5pd, and i have a A4 with chip and exhaust. I never said the A4 was faster, it just feels faster. I dont think i want to bash my own car, because i spend hard earned money on them. Im just surprised, many maxima owners are treating their car's like a sports car, running twisties, autoX, type-Ring this 4 dr "sports car".

Your not driving a 5spd Max are you? A stock 5pd Max would rock a 1.8T A4 stock for stock. The 5spd Max would be on par with an A4 with basic mods as well. This thread is a joke right? Maxima has had a rep for years to be a fast car and a good price. Have you never been to New York City during the late 80's- 90's man the Maxima was "da bad mon waggon" for a long time. I believe with the little spiteful comments you are just trying to flame. If you really drive a 2K 5pd Maxima you wouldn't be making those comments. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 06-11-2001, 12:27 AM

I totally agree, but this is a family sedan?!!

modding is not simply to race. Do you not find it fun working on your car to make it faster and better? It is not a matter of trying to beat every other car out there. Rather, it is making the car you have better than what it was and enjoying it at the same time. [/QUOTE]
Old 06-11-2001, 12:31 AM

I never said the A4 was faster, it just feels faster. I dont think i want to bash my own car, because i spend hard earned money on them. Im just surprised, many maxima owners are treating their car's like a sports car, running twisties, autoX, type-Ring this 4 dr "sports car". There are other cars for this purpose.

I just have the measely 4th gen Maxima and I've busted out quite a few 14.7s and 14.8s with pretty slow 60 foots. It's your opinion about the Maxima, but I don't know where you're coming from because the A4 is just a family sedan too. Honestly, I don't consider a chipped A4 much of a threat. I know the AWD launch will get me (if it had AWD), but I know I will catch it by 60 and walk it. It takes some pretty substainal mods to get a A4 in the consistent mid 14s.

Why did I mod my Maxima? Because I want better handling, braking, and acceleration and to set it apart from the rest. My car is nearly quiet as stock, but is over .6 seconds quicker and 3mph faster than stock. Not bad for $700 in engine mods with no difference in driveability other than the fact the car is much quicker after 65mph.

Dave
[/QUOTE]
Old 06-11-2001, 12:35 AM

Whats this with the Stillen bashing??! wrong post man?! u should create ur own hate site.

-Peace
Old 06-11-2001, 12:44 AM

Actually i never had a honda when i was a kid so i live my youth thru my maxima and audi. My 930 has twice the power as my max, but thats not the point. I dont think i want to bash my own car, because i spend hard earned money on them. Im just surprised, many maxima owners are treating their car's like a sports car, running twisties, autoX, type-Ring this 4 dr "sports car". I arrange drives in Socal that includes bimmers, audis, and porsches, I never bring my maxima because i just think its so out of place. But i guess thats why people mod the max more than i do. As for type-Ss, im sure they are faster than my 5spd, not by much, but definitely faster.

Man, this is a wrong post on the wrong forum... are you with the type-S guys or something?
You say you don't understand why we mod our "family sedan"... well, why are you modding your A4? What do you think that is?

Alot of the other Max owners on this forum have other cars that are faster also... look at my sig. You are compairing apples and oranges

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a d**k, but it sounds like you are issuing a challenge... a challenge that most of the people on this forum will take you up on.
And if you are going to bust out with non-Max vehicles, I will be happy to oblige!

yo_its_ok

You go on with your bad self!!! Get those Stillen m*th*rf**k*rs!!! Dealing with them once was enough for me, and it wasn't even a big item. I order a catalog from them, they charged my card but I never received it. When I called them, they said " We sent it out, may have gotten lost in the mail, sorry. You will have to pay for another one."
ok, I vented... feel better now. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 06-11-2001, 12:52 AM

Re: My two-cents

I agree with everything u said, and love my max maybe more than u do, except for this statment: "Sure it's cool to blow past people in the twisties with confidence"... what the hell?? maybe u are driving a different model maxima than me....it just doesnt look the part. It a good car, but please dont mistake it for a vette or something.
I dont think i want to bash my own car, because i spend hard earned money on them. Im just surprised, many maxima owners are treating their car's like a sports car, running twisties, autoX, type-Ring this 4 dr "sports car".

Why do I mod? Well, if it wasn't for guys like punkdork, yo_its_ok, Y2KevSE, yongjun, Srmtn, Medsonic, Rba, AznWontonboy, FastCat etc. I probably wouldn't have even started.

But after slowly getting into it with the FSTB, then the POP-Charger, then the RSB, I find myself really enjoying tuning the performance for my personal enjoyment.

Sure it's cool to blow past people in the twisties with confidence, but knowing I've actually done the work (with a TON of help and encouragement from the guys listed above (and the other's I didn't... sorry guys)) which is something I've never done before.

Two more mods for me before I probably cool down a bit:
1. Y-pipe
2. Coilovers or something to that effect to drop her JUST a hair and improve the handling even more.

As the saying goes: Nissan... Driven. I am.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-11-2001, 01:05 AM

Re: we the fortunate but not very fortunate

I dont think i want to bash my own car, because i spend hard earned money on them. Im just surprised, many maxima owners are treating their car's like a sports car, running twisties, autoX, type-Ring this 4 dr "sports car". Nobody saying that it is wrong, but people think im bad mouthing my own car....far from that! I love my cars, but i just think every car has a purpose, most car guys already think my max is pretty riced out, i just dont understand why others do more than me. I dont have a ferrari, but i do have a 911 turbo. And trust me, if traffic permits, i dont let nobody pass me, nobody.

Originally posted by mingo
many of us may have the extra cash to modify a maxima, but not all of us have the extra cash to purchase another car like you. there are many ways to modify the car, one for aesthetics, another for speed, and my favorite, would be for what i consider part of luxury, is modifying the stereo. It is true that the stereo weighs down the car and may make it slower, but at least i can feel good listening to music and hearing many notes that are not as noticeable when being played by a factory bose speaker. You can consider the valve body mod as a performance mod, but the reason i wanted it was because the way the auto tranny shifts in stock form is just pathetic. a supercharger? not neccarily to race, but to know that i have the potential. just like why people drive ferarris. do they alwasy use teh extra horse power they pay for? i doubt it. do they buy it to race others? no. it's to fufill their personally materialistic goals. many of us can fufill our dreams in terms of cars with a simple pop charger, because that's maybe all we can afford at the time, but for others, maybe a pop charger is not enough, so they get faster cars since they can afford it, people like you. i too often find myself thinking that modifying a car is a waste of money, but what's the difference in modifying a maxima from an audi? they're both cars and they are both hobbies. so you ask, "So i dont know why some of us, mod our cars more than i and go out looking for prey. Face it, who's gonna take this "4 dr sports car" seriously, at a stop light??!! " well maybe that's not the reason why we are fixing up our cars.. (with the exception of don) hehe j/p
Old 06-11-2001, 09:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yo_its_ok

johnsmax, know your adversary well...
LoL, If you knew who I was, You'd understand what I was talking about. Coming from a Ex-STILLEN Dealer who had 15 shops under a parent name...STILLEN thought they got rid of a "unauthorized" group dealing, what they ended up with is losing business that has accumulated to over $400K in the last 2 years. I have no problems with it, just gives me the push to beat them at their own game. Certain STILLEN reps sold products at dealer cost as a "sale" to public. With one person posting up how much they paid direct from STILLEN, I get the heartache of hearing "I can get it cheaper."
Obviously no STILLEN Dealer could match the price, so it ends up he pays the extra money, thinking everyone is in on a conspiracy. The reason I got pushed to flame on STILLEN is a group deal that was verbally mentioned, as "bulk buy"
I offered a price that could not be matched by anyone. The rug was pulled out from underneath me when speculation about my business practice came up. Finally it happened, there I stood with a few thousand in wire transfers ready to go, and the deal was cut short due in part #1 I had been allowed to have items drop shipped by my own rep to customers on west coast. #2, I was getting below STILLENs own 'dealer' pricing, #3, Big Brakes, well I was getting them just barely above STILLEN's own cost, #4, this had gone on for almost 2 yrs w/o a hitch. (Thanks STILLEN Price Police.)
Result of one account, ended up in a string of closures, and verbal challenges over the phone from a sales director @ STILLEN, to a Marine who has accepted his "verbal" challenge to 'come on over, and show me some ****...'
John, from what I've been reading, you must be losing sleep over this one.

-Peace

man, first of all, let me just say I really enjoy your posts.

I don't mean to come down on you, and maybe I'm missing the point, but I just want to get your take on this:

- you're fighting a losing battle as just a reseller without any value add, especially when a consumer can buy directly from Stillen. I mean why should I not buy directly from them if it's a lower price and the exact same stuff. Now, lets say you further tuned the y-pipe pipe for example, or modify it to eliminate fitment probs, the bee's, or something like this - then I might be willing to pay substantially more. Being in sales in an extremely competetive industry, I know first hand reselling is a tough biz without valed added.
- It sounds like most of these problems could be avoided if Stillen adopted a consistent pricing policy, say 10% of for a 10K order, 20% for 25K, or for x number of units, or something like this.
- I'm glad this has motivated you to develop your own stuff, since I think Stillen could be very easily beat at their own game since their regular pricing IS inflated because of the lack of viable competeive products especially for the Max. (I keep hearing "it's in development"....."it's being prototyped"......"it's coming"....it's this it's that yada yada.....when something gonna be ready man???????)

By the way, I just bought a RSW and Y-pipe from them on Maxima Day Saturday (and yes I got great pricing). This is my first experience with Stillen so if if I don't receive the stuff on a timely basis, or am missing some screws ect, maybe I won't have such a charitable view and be ranting and raving next week - we'll see.....