5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

turbo charging 2001 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 PM

turbo makes more power but, require more plumping and modification and custom headers. Super is almost full 100% bolt on.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 PM

custom turbo installs

Tube of 1000 degree Celsius exhaust sealant, plate of 2 or 3 ml sheet steel, dremel kit, drill and you can easily make up a gasket from any exhaust manifold to any turbo , personally id weld the plate to which ever is smaller.

Yes one can twin turb or twincharge the VQ30DE, just hard to find the space.
both kits are sold though , think super charger kit is around the 5k mark so it would be pushing 15k to achieve and thats without doing suspension, breaks, exhaust, chassis strengthening and then there is the cert cost.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by samuraipsy
also, yes i know how turbos work. a twin turbo has a small and big turbo one for low end and one for high end, and thats why twin charges are so great.
sure he may need to get some welding or fabrication done, but thats not too expensive. there is a VQ30DET turbo kit , 4k NZD ,that obviously fits the VQ30DE. so its just fitting it (thats just making space and undoing/redoing bolts) then taking a water and oil feed from somewhere. most nissan owners are lucky as they have a bolt in head that is designed for an oil feed. water feed is not too hard either.
Twin turbo can be done about 3 different ways, and most typically in a V6 application it's actually NOT a small and a large turbo setup, it's parallel turbos of the same size.
Also Welding and fabrication/custom work is typically the single most expensive form of labor when it comes to working on cars.

I'm not trying to be an antagonist here at all, I'm just having trouble ignoring the signifigant mis-truths and fault in your posts. My purpose for pointing those mis-truths out is not to call you out or anything, it's to inform, if not just yourself, but for others who might read this and believe what you are posting and cause mis-information.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 PM

that kind of the beauty of the super, it's mostly bolt on and thusly cheaper besides if you want GOOD power with a trubo you have to tear down the engine and get the internals blue printed and balanced as well as more solid con rods and dished to reversed dome pistons etc etc. i'm not the most experienced here but, while i have heard the ol VQ30 takes the boost well i'd think there is a limit and if you aiming for good big power you'd want/need the above, as well as more labor at least if you want to run on 91/93 octane.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Twin turbo can be done about 3 different ways, and most typically in a V6 application it's actually NOT a small and a large turbo setup, it's parallel turbos of the same size.
Also Welding and fabrication/custom work is typically the single most expensive form of labor when it comes to working on cars.

I'm not trying to be an antagonist here at all, I'm just having trouble ignoring the signifigant mis-truths and fault in your posts. My purpose for pointing those mis-truths out is not to call you out or anything, it's to inform, if not just yourself, but for others who might read this and believe what you are posting and cause mis-information.
ok fair enough man, i did not know twin turbos used the same size turbos , I always thought they used a smaller one to help spool up the bigger one.
and thanks, im always keen to learn , sorry if my posts had mislead anyone.
i will keep my posts to what i know from now on.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 PM

ok fair enough man, i did not know twin turbos used the same size turbos , I always thought they used a smaller one to help spool up the bigger one.
and thanks, im always keen to learn , sorry if my posts had mislead anyone.
i will keep my posts to what i know from now on.
No problem dude! Honestly, most of what I learned was by stating what I thought and getting schooled by guys who knew more, some steering me in the right direction and some being deuchbags lol, so I hope I wasn't the latter. In truth, I quite admire the fact that you can concede to such a thing rather than being like 98% of the internet population. You got some major points in my book for that dude! (Don't be flattered, my book doesn't mean shyt )

One thing I'll point out for the sake of this thread is the primary difference between reliability found with a SC, and a Turbo. In our cars the SC of choice is the Centrifugal type (Vortech usually). Centrifugal superchargers build boost in a LINEAR fashion. They are driven by RPM and thus they spin a direct ratio to the engines RPM, and thus, create boost and power in an almost perfect linear way. Observe a dyno sheet that shows this (this is my dyno)

Name:  mattmccorristondyno_zps38d17b7c.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  90.0 KB

You'll take note that this is about as smooth as power delivery gets. This means it's predictable, and easy on the engine. There is no sudden shock of power, and there is no massive sudden torque applied to the engine. This is the reason why the Cetrifugal SC is probably the safest thing you can apply to a non built engine.

Here's a turbo dyno (turbo dyno's vary a LOT depending on setup, so this is just for a general idea of the difference)

Name:  turbo_zps57c06f12.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  31.8 KB

More sudden power, bigger torque in a lot of cases (again varies a lot), and more boost typically, mean the turbo is almost always less reliable/safe.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM

snake eyes

yeah good point man, a turbo does place huge stress on the engine, and more so with a heavier car. I had a 1990 nissan pulsar x1r , with a t25 at 6 psi , they have water feed via a,T pipe stock and oil feed is easy. the reason i like nissan is the chain drive situation , and that their engines 'especially the VQ30DE-K which is only the 2000-2001 engine are very robust. did you know the VQ30DETT was the GTR engine for a while', though not a production motor.

Last edited by samuraipsy; 11-13-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Seems as if we've been down this road before.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Someone lock this crap.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
No problem dude! Honestly, most of what I learned was by stating what I thought and getting schooled by guys who knew more, some steering me in the right direction and some being deuchbags lol, so I hope I wasn't the latter. In truth, I quite admire the fact that you can concede to such a thing rather than being like 98% of the internet population. You got some major points in my book for that dude! (Don't be flattered, my book doesn't mean shyt )

One thing I'll point out for the sake of this thread is the primary difference between reliability found with a SC, and a Turbo. In our cars the SC of choice is the Centrifugal type (Vortech usually). Centrifugal superchargers build boost in a LINEAR fashion. They are driven by RPM and thus they spin a direct ratio to the engines RPM, and thus, create boost and power in an almost perfect linear way. Observe a dyno sheet that shows this (this is my dyno)

You'll take note that this is about as smooth as power delivery gets. This means it's predictable, and easy on the engine. There is no sudden shock of power, and there is no massive sudden torque applied to the engine. This is the reason why the Cetrifugal SC is probably the safest thing you can apply to a non built engine.

Here's a turbo dyno (turbo dyno's vary a LOT depending on setup, so this is just for a general idea of the difference)

More sudden power, bigger torque in a lot of cases (again varies a lot), and more boost typically, mean the turbo is almost always less reliable/safe.
sorry to drag this thread out guys, my apologies. but, i though SC topped out/bottomed out because it can only spin so fast because it's direct proportion to engine rpm?

well the thing about that question is as you said it's centrifugal and might not behave like a roots style blower does it not bottom/top as bad or at all?

is that solid boost of power thorughout the ENTIRE power band?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying. I can tell you that a Centrifugal supercharger is basically a turbo driven by a pulley instead of the exhaust. In this way, the 'trim' aka. impeller aka compressor wheel has a 'map', called a compressor map, just like a turbo does.
The turbo is driven by exhaust though, and the load of the engine, it's a compounding effect because the exhaust flow is proportionate to the airflow produced by the turbo, so it tends to be much more sudden and peaky because it's compounding on itself and reaching maximum flow faster. A centrifugal setup is defined by RPM and limited by RPM, so power is predictable and constant, the compressor wheel is not allowed to 'free-wheel', it's driven in exact proportion to the engine RPM, no more, no less, so power is built slower and the compressor wheel reaches it's peak flow slower, creating a smoother power delivery.
In this way, identical compressor wheels would produce vastly different power delivery depending on the driving force turning the compressor. they would both have essentially the same 'maximum flow', but the time and manner they get there are not the same.
A roots style blower setup is a different animal and behaves quite different. I'm not sure if that answers your question at all.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 11-14-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 PM

I think either way, this thread likely belongs in the turbo/SC section, if it's meant to survive at all, that is
Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM

a turbo is driven by the exhaust so it can spin more RPMs than the cranksaft so the upper RPM range it can in theory make more power than crank drive super charger.

the up shot on the super is because it's crank driven so it less lag, in past as far as possible outdated = infromation goes they excell at making power in the lower RPM range but, not so much at the mid and top RPM range. now because this is a belt driven turbo that might not be true. The reason being turbo have had alot of advancement in the past 10 or so years, advance impeller and blade design etc etc.

if my understanding is correct if it can make bit boot, it just bleeds off the extra boost at lower RPMs and the more RPMs the less it bleeds off and feeds in to the engine.
meaning that at higher RPMs it make more user of that extra boost to maintain that 6 or 8 PSI which would explain your graph where it maintains a power gain through the entire RPM range which in the past wasn't the case for super... at least for roots blower.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
a turbo is driven by the exhaust so it can spin more RPMs than the cranksaft so the upper RPM range it can in theory make more power than crank drive super charger.

the up shot on the super is because it's crank driven so it less lag, in past as far as possible outdated = infromation goes they excell at making power in the lower RPM range but, not so much at the mid and top RPM range. now because this is a belt driven turbo that might not be true. The reason being turbo have had alot of advancement in the past 10 or so years, advance impeller and blade design etc etc.

if my understanding is correct if it can make bit boot, it just bleeds off the extra boost at lower RPMs and the more RPMs the less it bleeds off and feeds in to the engine.
meaning that at higher RPMs it make more user of that extra boost to maintain that 6 or 8 PSI which would explain your graph where it maintains a power gain through the entire RPM range which in the past wasn't the case for super... at least for roots blower.
I think with the turbo' higher the boost the lower the compression needs to be, otherwise detonation. correct me if i am wrong please.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM

I think with the turbo' higher the boost the lower the compression needs to be, otherwise detonation. correct me if i am wrong please.
Correct. Also they put down a little more torq with dished/reversed dome pistons. how ever you can always bleed off the excess pressure if it' making to much boost.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 11-23-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Why do this to a FWD car? It would get raped at a track meet
Old 11-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Why do this to a FWD car? It would get raped at a track meet

Sleeper FTW!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

^^ I guess you've never seen videos of turbo maximas on youtube george??

They can be fast. Legit fast, go look up nwp maxima

And dont forget about that video of a 3.5 turbo 4th gen vs porsche
Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM

The stillen supercharger isn't a bad deal
even though stillen overprices the crap out of everything.
I read somewhere the 3.0 makes 185hp and 6psi made 285hp with the supercharger.
Not bad and allot easier to get back to stock for smog.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ercharger-kit/

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 11-24-2014 at 08:35 PM.