5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil Consumption repair/fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Oil Consumption repair/fix

I know the 3.5 has oil consumption issues, and there has been tons of talk about it, but I was wondering if anyone has had a either fix or something that has done to slow the burning, I know rebuilding and honing cylinders with new rings is the best fix, but something that will take the 2.5 quarts or more every 3k down to maybe a quart or a quart in a half, like seafoam, GM top engine cleaner, new PCV valve etc.

anyone had any luck?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Oil consumption is a known issue for VQ35DE engine.
Causes:
1. Sparkplug tube seal #5: remedy, is to replace valve cover & gasket (use 6th gen)
2. Tapered piston in high mileage engine the secondary piston ring releases oil. This blowby oil> PCV valve> PCV tubing > intake manifold contaminate the fuel that lower the octane level, cause pinging.
Remedy: install PCV oil catch can.
3. Precat on my opinion , in high mileage VQ35DE engine, must be replaced or gutted. It desintegrate releases sharp loose sandy materials that will be blown back to exhaust system that destroy the piston and valves
4. Use 5/30W catrol GTX oil and always check the level of oil.
5. Avoid using fuel additive, most of the forum only recommend Techron and BG44K.

Last edited by colt149; 08-30-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM

40 weight oil will usually help some.
And you can use a gas additive if you want..
TC-W3 is great stuff, but nothing added to gas will help with oil consumption..it's more to help your injectors last and destroy some carbon build up.
Catch can isn't necessary unless you're boosted or wanting to keep your UIM really clean.

Preventative maintenance on all early 3.5's should include headers or precat delete of some kind.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Try seafoaming .. I had police come over after I did it in my driveway with a friend two weeks back ><

Don't think you can fix oil consumption if it's already begun!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

Replacing the rings would do nothing if the valve stem seals are losing it. Rings on mine never were bad.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Try seafoaming .. I had police come over after I did it in my driveway with a friend two weeks back ><

Don't think you can fix oil consumption if it's already begun!
Its always done it, just never really thought about some minor helping items til now

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Replacing the rings would do nothing if the valve stem seals are losing it. Rings on mine never were bad.
you do have a point, but I would think if the valve stem seals are bad you would see the more gray/bluish smoke out of the exhaust, which I do not see ever.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:13 PM

My slight oil burning isn't the rings at all. I noticed when I installed my NWP spacers a few years back that my intake tract well clean as a whistle except for inside the intake port of the head....There I saw the intake guides with oil on them, but upstrean from them it was clean as hell....I believe that Nissan used a certain vendor for valve umbrella seals and they turned out to be unreliable/problematic when compared to 4th Gen engine components...My engine was broke-in properly and I've inspected it to ensure my valve guide seal are either hard, brittle, or completely worn out! But I know it's my valve seals!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 AM

oil seal

Originally Posted by CMax03
My slight oil burning isn't the rings at all. I noticed when I installed my NWP spacers a few years back that my intake tract well clean as a whistle except for inside the intake port of the head....There I saw the intake guides with oil on them, but upstrean from them it was clean as hell....I believe that Nissan used a certain vendor for valve umbrella seals and they turned out to be unreliable/problematic when compared to 4th Gen engine components...My engine was broke-in properly and I've inspected it to ensure my valve guide seal are either hard, brittle, or completely worn out! But I know it's my valve seals!
The picture speak for itself, this is the precat of my maxima with 114,000 miles. The precat start to desintegrate releasing loose sharp sandy materials that will be blown inside the exhaust that destroy that valve seal and piston.
http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/co...tml?sort=3&o=5
Old 09-01-2014, 01:59 PM

I would have to agree on this. I recent changed my plugs 10K intervals and notice oil stains flowing downwards from up top where the seals rest inside the bottom manifold. I feel your pain bruh.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM

well, now it seemingly has been determined that its more the valve guide seals rather than pcv valve, rings, etc. has anyone used any additives to help regain some of the sealing properties of the seals? I have family that owns an aftermarket shop and they use Justice Brothers Chemicals, and they have this oil additive that helps revitalize the seals in the engine if there are any leaks, I used it on an old Suzuki Sidekick that had a leaky rear main, and it actually stopped it from leaking until the clutch needed to be replaced, anyone tried anything with any good effects?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by NSMO240
well, now it seemingly has been determined that its more the valve guide seals rather than pcv valve, rings, etc. has anyone used any additives to help regain some of the sealing properties of the seals? I have family that owns an aftermarket shop and they use Justice Brothers Chemicals, and they have this oil additive that helps revitalize the seals in the engine if there are any leaks, I used it on an old Suzuki Sidekick that had a leaky rear main, and it actually stopped it from leaking until the clutch needed to be replaced, anyone tried anything with any good effects?
No I haven't tred any additives cause they normally accumlate in the form of sludge in the pan and other places.....I'll be looking for a 09-14 Maxima 290 Hp engine soon... I'll throw the VQ35 on an engine stand and pull the heads revitalize it the only real way, by mechanically replacing them.....Then throw that in my "98" 4th Gen.....
As far as the precats causing my exhaust valve guide seals to leak! That's all mere speculation! First of all it's my intake valve seals that are leaking, 2nd I've been on Cattman headers for 5yrs or more and Precats are the in Attic, 3rd, How the F@#K does the Pre-cat particles destroy the seals on top of the head without wearing out your valve guides? As I stated b4 mere speculation with a hell of alot of reversion involved!!!

Last edited by CMax03; 09-01-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM

No I haven't tred any additives cause they normally accumlate in the form of sludge in the pan and other places.....I'll be looking for a 09-14 Maxima 290 Hp engine soon... I'll throw the VQ35 on an engine stand and pull the heads revitalize it the only real way, by mechanically replacing them.....Then throw that in my "98" 4th Gen.....
As far as the precats causing my exhaust valve guide seals to leak! That's all mere speculation! First of all it's my intake valve seals that are leaking, 2nd I've been on Cattman headers for 5yrs or more and Precats are the in Attic, 3rd, How the F@#K does the Pre-cat particles destroy the seals on top of the head without wearing out your valve guides? As I stated b4 mere speculation with a hell of alot of reversion involved!!!

^^bro.. I get what you are saying clearly and im in the same boat its just mind bogging. so yeah im in the market searching for a 08+altima motor or good price 09+maxima. I got my car with 90k no issues burning oil whatsoever all bone stock. After doing every bolt on with(102k) obxv2 3inch exhaust etc....that's when oil burning woke up and came alive. btw im running 15w40 and it helps. might just try 20w50 for $hit and giggles....... smdh fukn mysteries

Last edited by NiteCrawler; 09-01-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by NiteCrawler
^^bro.. I get what you are saying clearly and im in the same boat its just mind bogging. so yeah im in the market searching for a 08+altima motor or good price 09+maxima. I got my car with 90k no issues burning oil whatsoever all bone stock. After doing every bolt on with(102k) obxv2 3inch exhaust etc....that's when oil burning woke up and came alive. btw im running 15w40 and it helps. might just try 20w50 for $hit and giggles....... smdh fukn mysteries
Mine started using a little oil close to 130,000 miles about 1/2 qt....now at about 150K+ it's about 1-2qt per 3000 miles, my exhaust looks clean as hell too the ports are clean not oily...but anyway I've got to do something and a 09-14 (Maxima)VQ35 is gonna be the savior....I would love to get another Maxima but 6th and 7th Gen aren't made in Japan nor are they as sexy IMO....So my eyes are on G37, or Q50 for the next newer ride...
Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM

Yessir...I say go for the Q50 gosh them things are pure beauty. I love Nissan/Infiniti quality. 4,5,7 gens Ive own. My wife loves her 99sel. But the Q50 would maybe be my last car ever if was to purchase. I got buddies that work at dealerships and the computers and electronics are fukn up the newest of cars taken away the feel of driving and forcing you back to the stealerships. Honestly im think of jumping backwards in a 1999-2001 Q45 that car was sofar ahead of its time.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Oil consumption

I will try to use the castrol edge synthetic 5/40W to minimize oil consumption.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 PM

Does this apply to the 3.0L engine?

Originally Posted by colt149
Oil consumption is a known issue for VQ35DE engine.
Causes:
1. Sparkplug tube seal #5: remedy, is to replace valve cover & gasket (use 6th gen)
2. Tapered piston in high mileage engine the secondary piston ring releases oil. This blowby oil> PCV valve> PCV tubing > intake manifold contaminate the fuel that lower the octane level, cause pinging.
Remedy: install PCV oil catch can.
3. Precat on my opinion , in high mileage VQ35DE engine, must be replaced or gutted. It desintegrate releases sharp loose sandy materials that will be blown back to xhaust system that destroy the piston and valves
4. Use 5/30W catrol GTX oil and always check the level of oil.
5. Avoid using fuel additive, most of the forum only recommend Techron and BG44K.
Excellent summary.
Does any of this apply to the 3.0L (VQ30Dxxx) engine?

I know this engine does not have an oil-consumption problem. My 2000 Max, with 125k miles uses no oil whatsoever; I change my oil (Mobil 1) every 7,000 miles and I don't have to add even half a cup.

However, I am concerned about a potential pre-cat disintegration with all its consequences. Should I be? Since I live in California, I can't gut my pre-cats. Should I preventatively replace them? That's expensive ($1,400 - $1,700 if I am lucky) but I plan to keep the car another 4-5 years, so perhaps I should consider doing this??

Guys, I appreciate your opinions and suggestions!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 PM

Is the http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_page.htm the best oil catch can?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I got my car, it was using a lot of oil and leaking. I actually used Lucus oil stop twice. and I never had to add oil since. I have been keeping my eye on it, cause I really don't know if the problem is fixed.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Mine started using a little oil close to 130,000 miles about 1/2 qt....now at about 150K+ it's about 1-2qt per 3000 miles, my exhaust looks clean as hell too the ports are clean not oily...but anyway I've got to do something and a 09-14 (Maxima)VQ35 is gonna be the savior....I would love to get another Maxima but 6th and 7th Gen aren't made in Japan nor are they as sexy IMO....So my eyes are on G37, or Q50 for the next newer ride...
i def respect your opinion, and have my eye on the q50 also (q50s that is). are they still made in japan then?

i love the car but the rear end is beat!! only thing that is holding me back.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Colt149 is tdc, when talking about the blow back oil in the UIM contaminating the fuel supply, causing pinging. March 2013, i installed the '06 VC w/gaskets, spark plugs, and complete 7 piece UIM/LIM gaskets, I noticed a 1-2cm layer of oil much of the UIM and thicker near the LIM ports.

The most amount of oil was near cylinder #6 and #5, less in the UIM near #1 and #2. I disassembled it completely, cleaned it with rags w/brake cleaner sprayed on, reassembled with new gaskets, cleaned the entire lower intake ports with rags/brake cleaner, also applied dielectric grease to all electronic couplers. put it all together again and i thought the pinging situation was solved, for the next month it was pure elation not to hear the pinging. After a month, it slowly came back, and no currently it much worse.

Colt149, did the catch can help/solve pinging with your engine?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:59 PM

When I installed the PCV oil catch can on my maxima. The pinging is history, engine is more resposive.