5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 starting problem.. help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 starting problem.. help!!!!

i have a 2001 anniversary edition that will not start. the problem started when my fuel pump went out on the car, the starter was replaced several weeks before the fuel pump went out so i know it is fine. since the fuel pump replacement i have tried cam sensor, crank sensor, idle air control valve, checked all fuses, and i can hear the fuel pump running and im getting spark so im at a loss at the moment. any and all help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jharper114
i have a 2001 anniversary edition that will not start. the problem started when my fuel pump went out on the car, the starter was replaced several weeks before the fuel pump went out so i know it is fine. since the fuel pump replacement i have tried cam sensor, crank sensor, idle air control valve, checked all fuses, and i can hear the fuel pump running and im getting spark so im at a loss at the moment. any and all help is greatly appreciated
What about alternator? Hows the battery charge?

Also a good idea to check the MAF. You can simply unplug it and see if the car starts.

Does the car start at all and then die? Or does it just not turn at all? More info please...
Old 09-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alt and battery charge are both good. car just turns over, never actually starts. ill try the MAF and see, i havent looked at that yet
Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 PM

alt and battery charge are both good. car just turns over, never actually starts. ill try the MAF and see, i havent looked at that yet
ok. Yeah just unplug MAF and see if it starts up. Just to get that out the way since its so easy...

but now rereading your post Im thinking your problem is likely fuel/air related. I would check fuel pressure and see if its normal for starting. Idk who did your fuel pump replacement but maybe theres a problem with the new pump?

I also see u replaced IACV, which is a huge deal on these cars. Did you use OEM IACV for replacement or aftermarket?

And lastly, any codes?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unplugging the maf didn't change anything. I did the fuel pump myself but I also thought it could be the problem so I switched it out for another new one, still nothing. I used an aftermarket iacv and there are no codes at all
Old 09-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Ok. I think were getting somewhere now. If its easy for you to do, you can always check fuel pressure to rule that out. No need to be swapping out fuel pumps.

But I think Im starting to see it...let me ask, did you by chance get the IACV from eBay?

Either way, aftermarket IACV is not always good. Sometimes Ive seen them work fine and others not so much, plus depending on which one you got they all have their own differences vs OEM.

So Im thinking your IACV is the problem. Makes perfect sense too why the car will turn but not start -- IAC wont step and car doesnt idle.

While youre at it, check the mosfet chip on the ECU, make sure its not shorted and fried.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll look at the ecu. The car won't don't anything at all though and if the iacv is bad shouldn't it still run with the throttle cracked open? That's what happened the first time I changed it, it would start and die immediately where as now it won't even start at all, it just turns over
Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 PM

I'll look at the ecu. The car won't don't anything at all though and if the iacv is bad shouldn't it still run with the throttle cracked open? That's what happened the first time I changed it, it would start and die immediately where as now it won't even start at all, it just turns over
You're right on the iacv it should still run with throttle open on our cars. Its the 5.5gens I was thinking of with that DBW they wont even run at all.

Definitely sounds like iacv was involved in your problems somewhere along the way. Thats why I said check if ecu was shorted. Also you probably flooded the engine with fuel trying to start it so that maybe why the thing wont turn over at all.w

I would let the car sit overnight, then next day do IACV test...if you havent already, unplug iac and start car, see if it turns over and runs at all.

Btw, if this was fuel related then giving it throttle while starting will actially stall the engine.