5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starter pack lol performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 PM

Starter pack lol performance parts

What are some good starter performance parts for someone who is just starting out.... Mind you its an Auto but idc its my car just want your suggestions.....
Old 11-23-2014, 10:57 PM

Suggestions

Search ghetto airbox mod or dyi short ram intake. Both are pretty much free also. Fog light rewire is also popular it isn't a performance upgrade though.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 AM

NWP Spacers, GAB, Suspension mods. Thats basically it.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 AM

Not again...

OP, what amount of $$ are you looking to spend? That's the first question that needs answered...Then tell us what you want out of the car? What are you looking to do with it? Then we can help you better and point you in right direction.....

Otherwise this is another vague thread, with vague question and random mod ideas thrown out..
Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Blake2000
What are some good starter performance parts for someone who is just starting out.... Mind you its an Auto but idc its my car just want your suggestions.....
Auto trans needs synthetic fluid like amsoil to prevent getting burned up during sporty driving. Not just a drain and fill, you should replace all the fluid.There are like 10-14 quarts to do a compelete fluid exchange yourself through the hose under the hood; not mechanic "flush" using machine. Then you need a auto trans cooler to keep the fluid from getting ruined so get a b&m auto trans cooler. Then you need a auto trans valve body upgrade a.k.a. shift kit. I'll let the pro's give you some ideas for the motor since there is many "packages" you could do. Things work together to provide gains.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Another newbie

Hi
Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Auto trans needs synthetic fluid like amsoil to prevent getting burned up during sporty driving. Not just a drain and fill, you should replace all the fluid.There are like 10-14 quarts to do a compelete fluid exchange yourself through the hose under the hood; not mechanic "flush" using machine. Then you need a auto trans cooler to keep the fluid from getting ruined so get a b&m auto trans cooler. Then you need a auto trans valve body upgrade a.k.a. shift kit. I'll let the pro's give you some ideas for the motor since there is many "packages" you could do. Things work together to provide gains.
+1 to tranny ups. It is unbelievable the untapped power left with the stock auto-tranny. And FFS gut your pre-cats and move the O2 sensors to below the main Cat.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2003MaximaMan
+1 to tranny ups. It is unbelievable the untapped power left with the stock auto-tranny.
agreed
Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 PM

TransGo HD2 kit
High stall TC(~2200 rpm)
B&M transmission cooler
4x Polyurethane mounts
Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 AM

What's the point of gutting the pre-cat?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mateen995
What's the point of gutting the pre-cat?
too poor to afford headers
Old 11-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by george__

No, not everyone wants headers on their car. Im def not poor, either.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Hmm, interesting...
Might do it as long as I don't get a CEL. Gotta do emissions testing in a couple months
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mateen995
Hmm, interesting...
Might do it as long as I don't get a CEL
Gotta do emissions testing in a couple months
Gutting can cause a cEL :|?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:41 AM

Gutting can cause a cEL :|?
Not too sure, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere of people getting a CEL
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes catalyst inefficiency, both banks (p0420 and p0430)... I got them now lol. U can do non foulers, o2 Sim or do like I do and keep a code reader in the car and check and erase when the light comes on lol. Gutted mine cuz bank one was completely fried. Nice sound, a decent enough power boost (compared to the bad cat). Non foulers are cheap enough but a pita, gonna get a custom y pipe made and put them in soon tho
Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Just do the o2 sim.

Rears are uselesssssssssss
Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone make short throw shifters for a 5th gen 5 speed
Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM

TransGo HD2 kit
High stall TC(~2200 rpm)
B&M transmission cooler
4x Polyurethane mounts
I'm planning to put the HD2 kit in my transmission, as I favor auto over manual.

From what I've read, I'm not sure both a Shift kit and Trans Cooler are good together. I had originally planned for that pair, but some suggest that because the shift kit helps the transmission to stay cooler by allowing it to work differently than the stock smooth shifts, the transmission cooler might hinder it from reaching a good operating temperature.

I can't give any real opinions on this since I personally have not installed either of these upgrades, but it's worth some more research if this is something you want to install.

I have installed a CAI, and tomorrow a new 3" exhaust system on my auto. Really hoping to put the HD2 kit in within the next couple of months. Probably most excited for that, so I'd recommend it as an upgrade for sure.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:13 AM

^^ Trans oil cooler is a good idea with the transgo kit. Your trans will not be running any cooler after the transgo mod, I promise. Trans cooler is very beneficial.

In fact, if you plan to whip it hard for extended periods like track or auto-x usage you def would NEED a trans cooler.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Read some more because a automatic transmission cooler, such as the ones made by b and m have an internal thermostat so it doesn't start cooling until it warms up.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:36 AM

B&m 70268

I have mine mounted near the underneath splash guard with zip ties ><
Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
^^ Trans oil cooler is a good idea with the transgo kit. Your trans will not be running any cooler after the transgo mod, I promise. Trans cooler is very beneficial.

In fact, if you plan to whip it hard for extended periods like track or auto-x usage you def would NEED a trans cooler.
Read some more because a automatic transmission cooler, such as the ones made by b and m have an internal thermostat so it doesn't start cooling until it warms up.
Both of these things are great to know. I will plan on getting a cooler then.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

HD kits make the tranny run cooler, less friction with quicker shifts. My tranny fluid temps stayed cooler by a few degrees after the VB mod.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
HD kits make the tranny run cooler, less friction with quicker shifts. My tranny fluid temps stayed cooler by a few degrees after the VB mod.
So would you recommend a cooler even if it stays a few degrees cooler with a kit?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
So would you recommend a cooler even if it stays a few degrees cooler with a kit?
Can't hurt
Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Interesting, never noted the before/after difference in mine. But remember it being basically the same looking at it, might just be few degrees indeed, not much.

And are you talking regular driving or spirited and WOT? And for how long?
Old 12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Interesting, never noted the before/after difference in mine. But remember it being basically the same looking at it, might just be few degrees indeed, not much.

And are you talking regular driving or spirited and WOT? And for how long?
Spirited of course.

It's till a good idea. I have yet to do it mainly because I don't autocross.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM

Spirited of course.

It's till a good idea. I have yet to do it mainly because I don't autocross.
I hear that. Yeah, I mean really if you drive normally most of the time and dont go ***** to the wall all the time you really dont need one.

Def doesnt hurt tho for when you do wanna go a lil wild
Old 12-05-2014, 06:12 AM

I would just recommend a good tune up. Often times most bang for your buck is regaining power instead of trying to add. Spark plugs, fuel filter, sea foam, injector cleaners, trans fluid are all good places to start. The couple free or nearly free mods are always fun too. GAB as mentioned as well as a grounding kit. From there I went straight to the suspension. Struts, mounts, bushings and lowering springs. I just picked up my 01 SE a few months ago and this is the route I went. FWIW.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Cotozic
I'm planning to put the HD2 kit in my transmission, as I favor auto over manual.

From what I've read, I'm not sure both a Shift kit and Trans Cooler are good together. I had originally planned for that pair, but some suggest that because the shift kit helps the transmission to stay cooler by allowing it to work differently than the stock smooth shifts, the transmission cooler might hinder it from reaching a good operating temperature.

I can't give any real opinions on this since I personally have not installed either of these upgrades, but it's worth some more research if this is something you want to install.

I have installed a CAI, and tomorrow a new 3" exhaust system on my auto. Really hoping to put the HD2 kit in within the next couple of months. Probably most excited for that, so I'd recommend it as an upgrade for sure.

^^--- Sums up the tranny stuff. Trans cooler is a good idea but not necessary. If you install one, make sure it has a thermostat with it if you live in a climate that sees freezing temps in the winter or torturous heat in the summer. Perma-cool also sells systems as well as sells thermostats separately if you go with another kit...not expensive at all.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 12-05-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:55 PM

Nothing performance based yet..... As far as money i don't really have a budget.i want to do small cosmetic work to it first to kind of personalize it i.e. headlights, tailights, side marker lights, fog lights All OEM or aftermarket it doesn't matter, no body kit, paint job, keyless entry, tint, Gold Drag Dr 19 rims, audio- new door speakers an maybe 12inch subs that's all that i want to do to it so far from that aspect of it

Not again...

OP, what amount of $$ are you looking to spend? That's the first question that needs answered...Then tell us what you want out of the car? What are you looking to do with it? Then we can help you better and point you in right direction.....

Otherwise this is another vague thread, with vague question and random mod ideas thrown out..
Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 AM

I really don't have a budget per say I'll just try to go piece by piece as i get more and more money. The car will pretty much be a daily driver or something to show off at Meets or events nothing to special. I don't race or drag nothing like that i love cars but not that much. Only thing I'm looking to do right now is to pretty much personalize it to make it my own an give it a sense of unique style. Im not looking to do any performance stuff yet maybe an intake but that's about it. Im really just looking to do paint, headlights, tailights, fog lights, side marker lights either OEM or aftermarket doesn't matter, no body kit, tint, Gold Drag dr 19 rims, audio-new door speakers, keyless entry, 12 inch subs, an new aftermarket radio receiver..

Not again...

Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Gutte Precat

I installed Cattman Y pipe 2.5 inches with gutted precat , o2 nonfouler to the two secondary 02 sensor +main cat+ 3 inches Cattman exhaust catback.
I am about to the buy the cattman headers to the same guy I bought my cattman exhaust catback but I proceed to gutting the precat because I live in New Jersey, the motor vehicle visually inspect the presence of precat and main cat. I did not use the O2 sim because it will last only for 2-5 years.