5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Desparate Need For Car; All Around Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Desparate Need For Car; All Around Issues

Hey guys, I'm obviously still a newbie, so I am going to catch A LOT of flack for the things I am about to ask, but I'm ready for it.

Basically, I'm 17 and I got a 00 Maxima SE , manual , last January. $2,000. It was a piece of garbage from the start. Got it on consignment from a dealership. Didn't even pass emissions, idled stupid high, so we brought it back and they tweaked something, fixed nothing (although the buyer claimed he put a new clutch in), but I always wanted a 5th gen Max.

So from the beginning:
I had to change the cat converter because the car just wouldn't stop smoking like crazy from the exhaust. I think that was 350. Changed the MAF sensor. Changed the engine next (I30 engine, 135k), no big difference obviously. Now, the dude who changed it did a terrible job, didn't wire the grounds properly, so I had to take it to an expensive, but professional shop and get that rewired. He also messed up my starter when doing the engine, so I had that changed at the same time the wiring was done. That was 300+. When they were done, they told me the PCM went bad. Still is FYI (Only runs on like 4 or 5 cylinders; gas is terrible). Then I need a swirl sensor and one more (knew that from the jump). On top of that, my entire suspension is shot (whoever had it before me thought it smart to cut the springs), so they said I need two front struts, whole assembly and the rear coils are broken. To add to that, my gauges stopped working one day and it turned out the fuse that controls the dash cluster (same one that connects to the alternator) was blown. It blew every day for 3 weeks and I changed it every day for 3 weeks. It would die if I put gas in it during this time, so I would have to get it jumped every time. Took it to the dealership for this one and between fixing this (something about the engine harness) and getting my driver's window to come back up after getting stuck down 2 weeks prior, that was 1,500.

So, I need a PCM, two sensors, an entire suspension, have an exhaust leak (said the dealership), A/C never worked, still idles when I'm stuck in traffic going in and out of first, passenger window goes all the way down once every 4 months, halfway every other time, both front windows are off track, my two front door hinges were never good and it needs cosmetics like a paint job (looks like one side of the car got new doors/ front and rear panels and whoever owned it tried to paint in themselves, looks like somebody burned the car on that side[what do you all think about compounding it? I can see the original paint underneath the chipping terrible "new" coat, same color as the car already is]), etc.

I just need to know if it's worth keeping or not? I don't have it like that & I'm going off to college next fall, but we've dumped so much money into this car.

If I do keep it, I just need knowledge on a few things as I CANNOT use the forum properly for this, since I'm a newbie and simply just don't know where to start:

1) Air intake (Don't yell at me, I know; links to all parts I need to build one myself?)
2) Suspension (Planned to buy a set from eBay and throw TEIN springs on it to get it back lowered, but properly this time; cut springs are uncomfortable)
3) I was going to get a Magnaflow muffler; my boy does welding and has done this before, so I'm good
4) Found an exact match PCM on eBay. Should I buy and have the dealer install or is there any technician on this site in the ATL area that can program it for me?
5) Can anybody in the ATL paint? Know anybody? It's the light blue colored Max. Stock 16's on it (came terribly painted black, will be getting light weight 18's from a G35 my cousin owns [bad idea?])
6) I can do headers, performance cat back, headlights, wheels, and all of that extra stuff for looks later on, even though I want to do that now

I just need to know you guys. Is it worth it to fix all of this, knowing the miles will go up and up (208k on the body)? Thanks

Last edited by Tedverseti; 11-25-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:18 PM

1st) how much are you willing to take for the car?

2nd) can you afford to sell this car right now/do you have a backup or savings to get a can now if needed?

3rd)can you sell this car in its condition with a clear consience?

4th) have you tried finding someone in the area to teach you and fix your car with you for the labor cost of beer and pizza?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

$$$

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
1st) how much are you willing to take for the car?

2nd) can you afford to sell this car right now/do you have a backup or savings to get a can now if needed?

3rd) can you sell this car in its condition with a clear consience?

4th) have you tried finding someone in the area to teach you and fix your car with you for the labor cost of beer and pizza?
I'll take 3,000 flat (doesn't seem realistic) but I'll also take care of the car as long as it'll last me. My cousin is the car guy in the family & he has one, as well as a SC300 and he did engine swaps and all of that. He could do it ALL when it comes to fixing cars. Stayed up the street, but he went to the military, which is why I'm in this situation with nobody else around to help me. I live in the middle of nowhere. I can sell the car now, but I won't get anything back on my investment in this condition & there is no extra money to throw on top of it. I'd have to spend more money to fix all of that, but there's no possible return on it. If I sold it now, I would be just fine, but I'd need to get enough money to get something a bit cheaper to maintain and something better on gas like an Integra, Prelude or something. I think I jumped the gun getting a Maxima as my first car & probably should've started the cheaper route, but that's my issue now. I don't know what to do.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM

Lesson learned... I hope you get out of debt somehow

That car isn't worth much. ~$500?

Last edited by george__; 11-25-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Lesson learned

That car isn't worth much. ~$500?
scrap metal from the sounds of it
Old 11-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
scrap metal from the sounds of it
Aw don't be that mean
Old 11-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Bad *** Newb

There's no hope for this thing. The previous owner (and some of the "mechanics") ruined every single part of the car. You would have to completely rebuild the car for it to be reliable. You need to cut your losses.

Unless you can do all of the work yourself, get the parts from a junkyard for almost free and deal with issues that keep coming up, I'd dump it. Part it out or w/e.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 11-25-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM

Take a loss and move on, I'm sure you'll find another 5th gen in the future!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
Take a loss and move on, I'm sure you'll find another 5th gen in the future!
Kid needs something reliable or burrow a family member's car
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Kid needs something reliable or burrow a family member's car
George, how can a kid in intellect call a kid in age, a kid??

Tedverseti, sad but true, cut your losses. You have or will put more $$ in the car that the car will ever be worth, even in good condition.

ALWAYS: Very important to have a mechanic or even the dealership inspect a car before you buy it. The $100 or so you spend will always be worthwhile. Either you avoid headaches or u gain peace of mind.

Good Luck.

Last edited by maxima183; 11-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you guys, I really do appreciate the input. Looks like I'll just get rid of it & save myself the trouble. I'll get another one in the future.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 PM

Perhaps cut your losses now... and put some money to the side. Perhaps in the future, you may find yourself another max with a bit more life to it.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM

Damn bro, sorry to hear. I just turned 18 and have a maxima SE 20th anniversary with intake and straight pipes. Runs well because I bought it off my neighbor who provided all the paper work for it. Where do you live? I'm thinking about selling mine soon cause I want to get a Bmw next or a vette
Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 PM

Manual 5th gens that aren't completely beat on are becoming increasingly harder to find. Another one will come your way. One that is worth what you spend.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Just get a 4th gen. you have the same engine from the 4th so...might as well have the reliability that comes with it.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 11-26-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 AM

Paid too much for it from the start, the car was worth ~$500 in the shape you bought it...It's probably worth less now, unfortunately.

This is why you never cheap out on used cars, spend the extra grand or two and get a good used car, not one that will end up costing 10x more in the long run anyway and be a constant headache.

You could've bought a decent 5th/6th gen for $3000 instead of dumping 2k on a piece of junk. Anyway it's definitely not worth fixing now.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Just get a 4th gen. you have the same engine from the 4th so...might as well have the reliability that comes with it.
They are still easy to find, and easy to get parts for as well