5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help bad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help bad!

I recently bought a 6 Speed 02' Nissan Maxima with roughly 61,000 miles for about $5,000. The car is pretty clean body wise, interior etc. No rips, tears and has a few stains under the seats that can't be seen. Has a few rock chips on the hood and bumper which will happen over time and aren't a problem for me. It has a few mods but nothing I see as serious. It has a Spectre Cold Air Intake, a NWP Block Off Plate, a BRM catless manifold back 2" to 3" exhaust, an AFR AEM Wideband, an Apexi AFC Neo, Energy Suspension Engine/Torque Mounts, Subframe Mounts, and Shifter Bushings. Plus it was professionally dyno tuned for AFR in Bismarck, ND. (I live in Minot, ND and the car was bought locally.) The first week I had it it ran fine and just a couple of days ago I turned it on to go for a drive and it won't get pass around 2,000 rpms without wanting to spit and sputter its way to death and also whenever the gas is pushed down to far to fast it just goes to the floor with no acceleration or anything. I had it code scanned and it ran PO102, which is MAF ****. I first cleaned it and nothing changed. I just bought a new MAF that will be here tomorrow and that hoepfully fixes that issue. A few other problems is that when driving and I go to change gears it sometimes doesn't want to go into gear. This seems to happen with all the gears to not just certain ones. Overall it is a great little car I think. I honestly could give a **** less about performance as it isn't pratical at all and usually degrades the car faster. I really want to convert the car to stock, but have no idea where to start. I want to get rid of the whole AFC Neo and dyno tune **** as that seems like to much work to keep up with. So I guess I'm asking where I should start as far as reverting to stock because I don't think I can just take out the AFC and all the other parts and it will work normally. Would I have to get rid of all the parts, get rid of the tuner then go back down to Bismarck and have them tune it again? P.S. I'm only 17, but I am not the stereotypical teenager that thinks cars are all about speed and being fast. All I want is a nice clean looking beautiful car and don't want some twin turbo'd race car. I also don't really know a lot about engines so you might have to put stuff in stupid people terms unless they are easily looked up. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Last edited by Anthony_Pfau; 07-07-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Wall of text.jpg
Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 PM

With the mods you listed you can remove the piggyback and wideband...

- AFC should be easy to remove, unsplice the wires from the ECU (passenger side left side) https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ng-thread.html

- The wideband you need to get under car and remove o2 sensor

- 2,000 rpm spit and stuffer could be the maf related maybe (GET OEM ONLY)

- Transmission fluid okay? Clutch okay? Master cylinder Leaking?

Should check your engine oil once a week too, you might have bought a severe oil burner

Last edited by george__; 07-07-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by george__
With the mods you listed you can remove the piggyback and wideband...

- AFC should be easy to remove, unsplice the wires from the ECU (passenger side left side) https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ng-thread.html

- The wideband you need to get under car and remove o2 sensor

- 2,000 rpm spit and stuffer could be the maf related maybe (GET OEM ONLY)

- Transmission fluid okay? Clutch okay? Master cylinder Leaking?

Should check your engine oil once a week too, you might have bought a severe oil burner
- I will look into the Piggyback and Wideband, thanks!

- As stated above hopefully the new MAF fixes that! I'm assuming it will sense the code it was giving out.

- As of yet I have not notice or seen any leaking of any sorts from underneath. Although it is very low and haven't had the time to jack it up and actually look underneath.

- The clutch feels and seems normal. The guy before me says that the 3rd Gear Synchro went out but haven't notice any grinding at all. When he did this he flush the transmission twice and replaced the fluid with Redline.

- Thanks for actually helping and not being a ****!