5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Trans Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:13 AM

2002 Trans Swap

Alright so I'm thinking of swapping out my auto trans for a 6 sp manual, any pros and cons? Cost? Parts? I'm stationed out on an island and there is almost no manual cars here, the ones that are here are beat to ****, or just ridiculously priced. I'm still getting familiar with my Max doing little repairs here n there , feel like I got it for a decent price and it's moderately taken care of. Anyways off topic... Any advice? Procedure to doing this? Nothing is wrong with the auto trans just miss driving stick, also see no point in modding an auto car, imho. But any help would be appreciated by the community
Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 AM

It can be done but it's a lot of work and a lot of parts. Pedals, shifter, ECU, clutch/flywheel, axles, starter etc... Most people only do it if they already have a lot of time and money tied up in mods.

You'd probably be better off selling yours and finding a clean 6-speed in the states. You'd have shipping but it would be far less than the parts alone. Never mind the work and down time.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 PM

Yeah that's kinda what I didn't want to hear.. Might as well accept the fact. And I don't think I would ship the car without first looking at it. Is there a walk-through or something anybody could link to see what it's like? I of course have never done anything like this, but am committed and have all the tools to do something like this, (my base auto shop).
Old 09-22-2016, 06:32 PM

What I learned about letting my mechanic do this twice..

Find a way to block the AT gear selector hole because the MT assembly inside the car doesn't cover it up... For example without a boot and it's raining you can hear everything going on underneath the car from the gear shifter...

Get ready for crap to break after being drained.. Power steering hose, AC equipment, etc etc etc etc...

Find a HLSD transmission

Cruise control still works

Get ready for some major troubleshooting

etc etc.....

It's a ton of work and not worth it imo unless you are doing the labour yourself

Last edited by george__; 09-22-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ToxicGarbage
Alright so I'm thinking of swapping out my auto trans for a 6 sp manual, any pros and cons? Cost? Parts? I'm stationed out on an island and there is almost no manual cars here, the ones that are here are beat to ****, or just ridiculously priced. I'm still getting familiar with my Max doing little repairs here n there , feel like I got it for a decent price and it's moderately taken care of. Anyways off topic... Any advice? Procedure to doing this? Nothing is wrong with the auto trans just miss driving stick, also see no point in modding an auto car, imho. But any help would be appreciated by the community
It is argued that once equipped with a shift kit and possibly a good torque converter, the 4AT is faster than the 6MT. Thats a never ending argument though. I miss driving manual as well and never had plans to mod this grocery cart. It happened once I swapped semi-clogged pre cats for headers to prolong life. Just kinda kept going. I think it sucks having a modded auto just because of the stigma other people place on it. However, IMO having a modded Maxima regardless of transmission type is kinda silly to begin with. At the end of the day we are all driving FWD Nissan sedans. :-D

Last edited by T00Lbox; 09-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by T00Lbox
It is argued that once equipped with a shift kit and possibly a good torque converter, the 4AT is faster than the 6MT. Thats a never ending argument though. I miss driving manual as well and never had plans to mod this grocery cart. It happened once I swapped semi-clogged pre cats for headers to prolong life. Just kinda kept going. I think it sucks having a modded auto just because of the stigma other people place on it. However, IMO having a modded Maxima regardless of transmission type is kinda silly to begin with. At the end of the day we are all driving FWD Nissan sedans. :-D
Auto is worse than wrong wheel drive alllll day
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by T00Lbox
A shift kit like the transgo? I'm not too sure where to find a better torque converter for the max either but I guess I'll creep on the web for a couple nights

Also putting on a new TC would probably increase the wear and tear on my drive train correct?

Originally Posted by george__

Get ready for crap to break after being drained.. Power steering hose, AC equipment, etc etc etc etc...
Just replaced my power steering hose with an AC Delco hose from rock auto too anything else that could break from being drained? Also how much did it cost you for your mechanic to do it for you?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Auto is worse than wrong wheel drive alllll day
You see? Auto gets no respect. ...and I cant defend it either because I wish I was manual. Haha. I just keep telling myself it could be worse.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Yea, you could have a 3.0. Lol
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Can anyone tell me by this picture if this 04 trans is hlsd? I know a few members can tell by looking at the bell housing but I myself am not to familiar.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Trans Swap-screenshot_20160929-022958.png  
Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 PM

There's a way to tell but you have to look through the axle hole. On one you can see clearly through and on the other the view through is partially obstructed. I just can't remember which is which.