8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

SR verse Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SR verse Platinum

I am looking at getting a Gen 8, to replace my Saab 93. I want to get more information before I run to the dealer and slap down my money.

The SR has some options I want :
Paddle Shifters
Sport Tuned Suspension
IDC Module

But the Plat has other options I want :
Dual Panel Moonroof
BSW
PFCW
Updated Audio
Rear Sun Shade

Are my assumptions correct that each of those banks of options are specific per trim level? (ie. I can't get the IDC on the Plat?)

Has anyone else been torn between these two models and made a decision? What helped you make your decision, and were you happy with your ultimate decisions? I a have not taken either of them for a test drive yet, or been to the dealer. I wanted to do my homework before I go an poke at a dealer. My other thought was that I can add some of the aftermarket parts on the platinum model when they come out.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM

im considering the SL to save some money. The SR is awesome- just wish it had the moonroof but for performance reasons it doesn't. Those 19" wheels are great though.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mls277
im considering the SL to save some money. The SR is awesome- just wish it had the moonroof but for performance reasons it doesn't. Those 19" wheels are great though.

I was going to get the SL originally, then I did the 8 year cost (Normally how long at min, I keep a car) of the upgrade from the SL -> SR / SL -> Plat cost and it ended up being so nominal, that I might as well bite the bullet and get what I want.

The diamond cut machined 19s are pretty damned sweet, but i have a set of Rays A34 Nismo rims in my garage that will more than likely put on.

and with the power of Photoshop, I am now quite sure I will be putting them on.
Attached Thumbnails SR verse Platinum-mymax.png  
Old 09-22-2015, 01:22 PM

I want to ask the dealer about upgrading the SL to the 19" wheels. I heard it isn't a big deal and the cost shouldn't be too bad. Figure I can bargain it as part of the deal.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM

Oh Man! That Deep Blue Pearl With Nismo's wheels look great. Post a real pic when you get them mounted. Shame you can't really find them anywhere anymore or they are crazy expensive.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Wonder if the dealer will swap to 19" SR wheels to the SL or platinum just to sell the car?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was torn and went with the plat simply because I figured I'd use the luxury features more than I would the sport suspension and 19" wheels. I can always change the wheels I can't add a moonroof. I asked the dealer if they could swap the wheels and they said it's illegal because the car was designed with the certain wheels and it could be a safety concern if they swapped them. My friend who sells cars confirmed this is true.

Last edited by TheInvsbleMan; 10-01-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:16 AM

Good information thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Someone has to say it: It's "versus", not "verse".

Verse is part of a song or poem or a passage in the Bible. Versus (abbreviated as v. or vs.) is a comparison term.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM

We were going with the platinum because of the memory seats but didn't care for the moon roof. Have the moon roof on 2 other cars and never use it. We liked the 19" wheels, sport spoiler, and paddle shifters on the SR. Happy with choice.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What exactly is the difference between paddle shifters and simply moving the gear stick to the left for 'manual mode'?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by akin_t
What exactly is the difference between paddle shifters and simply moving the gear stick to the left for 'manual mode'?
The only difference is that one is on the steering wheel and one isn't. No mechanical difference at all.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 PM

EZ choice for me..Platinum

I looked at the two and all i could find in the Platinum I didn't care for was the wood trim..the sunroof was the deal breaker since you can't get it in the SR and I don't care to paddle shift. I can always add suspension later and get the best of both worlds..very happy with my Platinum..and don't notice the wood trim as much as I thought so it's grown on me.
Attached Thumbnails SR verse Platinum-20151028_172754.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 09:50 AM

You will be happy with either, but for me personally, I would get more use out of the SR suspension and upgrades, which I why I will get the SR. The sunroof was not important as I never use mine and prefer to not have one. The only thing that I would have like from the Platinum is the around view monitor, but I prefer to give that up to gain the SR suspension.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
You will be happy with either, but for me personally, I would get more use out of the SR suspension and upgrades, which I why I will get the SR. The sunroof was not important as I never use mine and prefer to not have one. The only thing that I would have like from the Platinum is the around view monitor, but I prefer to give that up to gain the SR suspension.
I agree I purchased the 2016 Maxima SR and had a regular sunroof added. Lifetime warranty and was done by Nissan. The handling overall on the SR is better and I actually really like the paddle shifters. A couple of times I have come into an on ramp a little too hot and felt the car loosing traction. Without having to take my hands off the steering wheel I was able to quickly downshift with the left paddle and regain control without having to hit the brakes. I absolutely love those shifters that and the 19" rims with sports tunes suspension makes the car.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 AM

I picked SR over Platinum. I do miss the panoramic moon roof and the all around view of the Platinum, but I like the interior bits of the SR much more, including the aluminum dash accents rather than the older/darker looking wood accents in the Platinum; and the Alcantara upholstery in the SR rather than the full leather in the Platinum. The SR paddle shifter is also a very important piece of equipment for me because I do use it a lot.

I don't know how different is the suspension between the two trims because I didn't even test drive the Platinum, so I won't comment on whether the re-tuning on the SR is anything special over the Platinum. However, the SR wheels are better looking in my opinion, unless you plan on going aftermarket anyway then it wouldn't matter.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wanted the moon roof, wife hates sun/moon roofs. See sig...
Old 09-21-2016, 05:36 PM

We had the same questions when we started considering the Maxima. We ultimately purchased the Platinum with the SR 19" wheels. The best of both models!

-The 360 view camera system is a really great feature. Takes all the guesswork out of parking near curbs and tight spots. Amazing how well this feature works, especially with this car's lower ground clearance. The more you use this feature, the more you'll never want a car without it again! Can only get it in Platinum.

-We really weren't that interested in the panoramic moon roof, but now we are very glad we have it as it is one of the nicer ones we've ever seen. Really opens up the interior, especially at night. We use it all the time.

-We didn't think the rear sun shade was that big of a deal when we saw it on other cars. Now that we've used it, we love it. The biggest benefit I find to the rear sun shade is when lifted trucks with their retarded blue lights are behind you, this sun shade completely eliminates all that glare. especially when you're sitting in traffic or at a red light at night. My wife said it's like a rear force-field, HaHa!

-The Platinum's slightly softer suspension combined with the tighter cornering and sticky characteristics of the SR's lower profile wheels/tires makes this the perfect blend of comfort and performance. We love it!!

-We did not like the harsh ride of the SR. Also, the cornering stiffness on the SR was not that noticeably better than the Platinum with SR wheels on it. We're thinking that SOME of the SR's cornering capability comes from the 19" Low Profile SR wheels.

-We did like the look of the SR alcantra leather a little better than the Platinum, however it's a nightmare to try and keep that alcantra clean over the years. Especially if you ever have children that may spill milk or if you spill coffee with dairy products in it.

Nissan should have offered the Platinum with the SR wheels as one of the package choices. It's the perfect blend of luxury and performance

Here's a couple pics...

Lou

Kind Regards,
Lou
Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan
I was torn and went with the plat simply because I figured I'd use the luxury features more than I would the sport suspension and 19" wheels. I can always change the wheels I can't add a moonroof. I asked the dealer if they could swap the wheels and they said it's illegal because the car was designed with the certain wheels and it could be a safety concern if they swapped them. My friend who sells cars confirmed this is true.
All three of the dealerships (Two in Texas and one in Louisiana) I went back and forth with when we were haggling price said it would be no problem to swap the SR wheels with the Platinum wheels. The revs/mile (diameter) of both tires is exactly the same, and the dealer said that all of the electronics and the speedometer would be completely unaffected. They said it would not affect the warranty either...wheels after swap would be fully covered. Our Platinum was delivered to us with the SR wheels on it. We paid an extra $950 for the swap and they kept the Platinum wheels. They even reprogrammed all the TPMS sensors to the car. Was well worth it to me!!

Kind Regards,
Lou

Last edited by 17BBMax; 09-22-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
Wonder if the dealer will swap to 19" SR wheels to the SL or platinum just to sell the car?
They will...but for a price. Initially, the dealer wanted $1800 plus they keep the Platinum wheels. I got it down to $950 and they keep the wheels after going back and forth competing between three dealerships.

Kind Regards,
Lou
Old 12-23-2016, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I looked at the PL and SL and decided to go with the SR.

Originally Posted by Robert Schneeweis
I am looking at getting a Gen 8, to replace my Saab 93. I want to get more information before I run to the dealer and slap down my money.

The SR has some options I want :
Paddle Shifters
Sport Tuned Suspension
IDC Module

But the Plat has other options I want :
Dual Panel Moonroof
BSW
PFCW
Updated Audio
Rear Sun Shade

Are my assumptions correct that each of those banks of options are specific per trim level? (ie. I can't get the IDC on the Plat?)

Has anyone else been torn between these two models and made a decision? What helped you make your decision, and were you happy with your ultimate decisions? I a have not taken either of them for a test drive yet, or been to the dealer. I wanted to do my homework before I go an poke at a dealer. My other thought was that I can add some of the aftermarket parts on the platinum model when they come out.

Thanks for your input.
Just bought this SR last night. Happy so far.
Just bought this SR last night. Midnight Edition. Love the blacked out look.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:34 AM

Living in super-sunny middle Georgia, I had to have the rear window sunshade to keep the worst of the sun off the back necks of my three granddaughters. I had this sunshade on my premium 7th gen and left it up from April to October each year.

My granddaughters also love the double-panel roof, which brightens up the rear seat area.

Unlike some, I love the wood accent interior of the Platinum, especially the subtle diamond pattern of the wood, which ties in with the upholstery.

I also use the 360 degree view cameras when entering and leaving the garage and when parking. I have to have it because I cannot swivel my head nearly as far as I could when I was back in my seventies. Growing old changes things.

I have no interest in manual shifting. I got more than enough of that back in the 1940s before automatics were available, then again in my Datsuns in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Manual was OK then, but not in the gridlock I am driving in these days.

I have found that, with my slightly aggressive driving, my tires wear more evenly with 36 psi in front and 35 psi in the rear. The effect of that raised psi is that the ride is firmer, a tad more like the SR, and I can make sharper turns at higher speeds.

So, for me, there was no decision to make. If I were about sixty years younger, I might be looking at the SR.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 17BBMax
We had the same questions when we started considering the Maxima. We ultimately purchased the Platinum with the SR 19" wheels. The best of both models!

-The 360 view camera system is a really great feature. Takes all the guesswork out of parking near curbs and tight spots. Amazing how well this feature works, especially with this car's lower ground clearance. The more you use this feature, the more you'll never want a car without it again! Can only get it in Platinum.

-We really weren't that interested in the panoramic moon roof, but now we are very glad we have it as it is one of the nicer ones we've ever seen. Really opens up the interior, especially at night. We use it all the time.

-We didn't think the rear sun shade was that big of a deal when we saw it on other cars. Now that we've used it, we love it. The biggest benefit I find to the rear sun shade is when lifted trucks with their retarded blue lights are behind you, this sun shade completely eliminates all that glare. especially when you're sitting in traffic or at a red light at night. My wife said it's like a rear force-field, HaHa!

-The Platinum's slightly softer suspension combined with the tighter cornering and sticky characteristics of the SR's lower profile wheels/tires makes this the perfect blend of comfort and performance. We love it!!

-We did not like the harsh ride of the SR. Also, the cornering stiffness on the SR was not that noticeably better than the Platinum with SR wheels on it. We're thinking that SOME of the SR's cornering capability comes from the 19" Low Profile SR wheels.

-We did like the look of the SR alcantra leather a little better than the Platinum, however it's a nightmare to try and keep that alcantra clean over the years. Especially if you ever have children that may spill milk or if you spill coffee with dairy products in it.

Nissan should have offered the Platinum with the SR wheels as one of the package choices. It's the perfect blend of luxury and performance

Here's a couple pics...

Lou

Kind Regards,
Lou
How do you got those rims, were they installed by the dealer or do you put them later?
Old 12-25-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan
You were lied to. There is nothing "illegal" about changing wheels. And in a sense of fairness, ask the dealer and your friend to show you the law or tell you what law that is.....They won't be able to do so.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 0107robin
How do you got those rims, were they installed by the dealer or do you put them later?
They were installed by the dealer. They put them on and had the TPMS sensors programmed to the car before we took delivery.

Kind Regards,
Lou
Old 12-27-2016, 09:33 PM

Ok great...
Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Nice! Merry Christmas to you!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SR vs Platinum

New owner.

We ended up with a pearl white SR with Tan interior which looks amazing, specially now with the tinted windows. But it was my wifes choice to got for the SR, I liked the softer ride and panoramic roof of the platinum better all though the interior combo of the SR is far more striking.

What I don't like and If it has already been discussed my apologies, is the steering weight in normal mode. I used to own an Infiniti M35 which in IMO is the best weight and feel. The SR in normal mode has the weight progression backwards. Heavy in parking maneuvers and lighter at higher speeds. I don't get it, I find that I have to always set it to sport and is a pain to have to set sport every time I use the car. Am I the only one who has this issue? In normal mode is too soft and sensitive at higher speed, I don't even feel safe driving fast in normal mode. Is there a way to set it in sport mode where it would stay there?

Last edited by Maldo76; 01-11-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maldo76
New owner.

We ended up with a pearl white SR with Tan interior which looks amazing, specially now with the tinted windows. But it was my wifes choice to got for the SR, I liked the softer ride and panoramic roof of the platinum better all though the interior combo of the SR is far more striking.

What I don't like and If it has already been discussed my apologies, is the steering weight in normal mode. I used to own an Infiniti M35 which in IMO is the best weight and feel. The SR in normal mode has the weight progression backwards. Heavy in parking maneuvers and lighter at higher speeds. I don't get it, I find that I have to always set it to sport but is a paint to always set sport every time I use the car. I'm I the only one who has this issue? In normal mode is too soft and sensitive ah higher speed, I dont even feel safe driving fast in normal mode. Is there a way to set it in sport mode where it would stay there?
This question has been asked, but unfortunately, there is no way to set it default to sport mode.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM

All three of the dealerships (Two in Texas and one in Louisiana) I went back and forth with when we were haggling price said it would be no problem to swap the SR wheels with the Platinum wheels. The revs/mile (diameter) of both tires is exactly the same, and the dealer said that all of the electronics and the speedometer would be completely unaffected. They said it would not affect the warranty either...wheels after swap would be fully covered. Our Platinum was delivered to us with the SR wheels on it. We paid an extra $950 for the swap and they kept the Platinum wheels. They even reprogrammed all the TPMS sensors to the car. Was well worth it to me!!

Kind Regards,
Lou
What Dealership did you go with? The one I went with wouldn't swap the rims, but rather wanted to sell me the SR rims outright for $2500... Just got the Platinum with its OEM rims and am looking to swap to SR Rims at some point. BUT, my lease is up next year, so It'd be great if I know which dealership will work with me the next time around...
Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MY ALT Z
What Dealership did you go with? The one I went with wouldn't swap the rims, but rather wanted to sell me the SR rims outright for $2500... Just got the Platinum with its OEM rims and am looking to swap to SR Rims at some point. BUT, my lease is up next year, so It'd be great if I know which dealership will work with me the next time around...
Most of the dealerships I visited in TX and LA were willing to swap the wheels. The dealership I ultimately bought the car from was Premier Nissan in Metairie, just off I-10. The Salesman who assisted me was Todd Boudreaux. Great guy to work with!

Keep in mind that the Platinum we bought had the "Medallion Package", which comes with a little nicer 18" wheel than the regular Platinum. Ordering the car with the medallion package gets you other things like interior and exterior accent lighting along with the nicer wheels. The pluses of the Medallion package is that is you get the accent lighting at a cheaper cost than if you add the accent packages later and it also makes it easier for the dealership to sell your wheels when they replace them with the SR wheels because the Medallion wheels are much nicer looking than the base Platinum wheels.

Regards,
Lou
Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Most of the dealerships I visited in TX and LA were willing to swap the wheels. The dealership I ultimately bought the car from was Premier Nissan in Metairie, just off I-10. The Salesman who assisted me was Todd Boudreaux. Great guy to work with!

Keep in mind that the Platinum we bought had the "Medallion Package", which comes with a little nicer 18" wheel than the regular Platinum. Ordering the car with the medallion package gets you other things like interior and exterior accent lighting along with the nicer wheels. The pluses of the Medallion package is that is you get the accent lighting at a cheaper cost than if you add the accent packages later and it also makes it easier for the dealership to sell your wheels when they replace them with the SR wheels because the Medallion wheels are much nicer looking than the base Platinum wheels.

Regards,
Lou
Good to know! Thanks for the info...