8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

How To Access the Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM

How To Access the Fog Lights

I had previously asked if anyone knew the best way to access the fog lights. I believe I have answered my own question. For anyone wanting to replace the yellowish halogen bulbs with LEDs like I do, you simply need to remove six screws from underneath each side in the area of the fog lights. This will allow you to push the plastic cover piece up to access the bulbs. On the passenger side, you will need to disconnect the wire harnesses from the bulbs before twisting the two bulbs out because there are things in the way. I figure the whole job should take 15 minutes or so to change out all four bulbs. Here's a pic showing the screw locations on one side:

Last edited by doctorpullit; 09-29-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
I had previously asked if anyone knew the best way to access the fog lights. I believe I have answered my own question. For anyone wanting to replace the yellowish halogen bulbs with LEDs like I do, you simply need to remove six screws from underneath each side in the area of the fog lights. This will allow you to push the plastic cover piece up to access the bulbs. On the passenger side, you will need to disconnect the wire harnesses from the bulbs before twisting the two bulbs out because there are things in the way. I figure the whole job should take 15 minutes or so to change out all four bulbs. Here's a pic showing the screw locations on one side:

Can you access headlight bulbs from here? I havent tried it yet and i know yiu can access it from wheelwell or drop the bumper, but i would rather not drop the bumper.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 PM

I don't think you can access the headlights from this location. The distance is too great from that tight space.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the helpful post. Installed fog lights today!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by KatsMax
Thanks for the helpful post. Installed fog lights today!
No problem! I'm hope you like them.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone found bulbs that have created a tight seal? I see that a bunch of you are having moisture issues. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by nickster
Has anyone found bulbs that have created a tight seal? I see that a bunch of you are having moisture issues. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I was playing with the halogen original bulbs that I took out and noticed that I can take the rubber seal off of it. Not sure if it's possible, but perhaps I can take the seal and apply it to the LED bulb for a better fit.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by spidgeon
I was playing with the halogen original bulbs that I took out and noticed that I can take the rubber seal off of it. Not sure if it's possible, but perhaps I can take the seal and apply it to the LED bulb for a better fit.
Are you having moisture issues with the JDM Astar that you installed? I am about to upgrade my fogs as soon as I get confirmation that I won't have moisture issues. I went ahead and did the license plate and reverse light upgrade that you recommended. Thanks!!!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by nickster
Are you having moisture issues with the JDM Astar that you installed? I am about to upgrade my fogs as soon as I get confirmation that I won't have moisture issues. I went ahead and did the license plate and reverse light upgrade that you recommended. Thanks!!!
Glad you like. It makes a nice improvement. Wish we could get bigger bulbs in the reverse tho. I'm having moisture issues with the fogs yes. On the drivers side only tho, not the passenger side. It's been so cold the past few days I haven't had the opportunity to take them out and air dry the lenses. Suppose to be warmer the next few days, going to attempt soon.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad you like. It makes a nice improvement. Wish we could get bigger bulbs in the reverse tho. I'm having moisture issues with the fogs yes. On the drivers side only tho, not the passenger side. It's been so cold the past few days I haven't had the opportunity to take them out and air dry the lenses. Suppose to be warmer the next few days, going to attempt soon.
Thanks for the update. Please keep us updated on the progress you make with the factory bulb seals.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 PM

We are finally supposed to have a couple of days of rain this Friday and Saturday. I will let you know if any moisture appears in my fog lights.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We are finally supposed to have a couple of days of rain this Friday and Saturday. I will let you know if any moisture appears in my fog lights.
I appreciate it!!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 PM

I don't think you can access the headlights from this location. The distance is too great from that tight space.
So I installed the fog lights through this way. It worked fine except now my driver rear backup sensor is all screwed up. Its not registering anything when backing up. When I am in the red zone in rear view camera, passenger rear is at sensing at red area but at that point my driver rear is sensing at green area.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 PM

FOUND THE Amswer in other thread....Question, what type of LEDs did you use. Thanks

Last edited by Scott1243; 10-20-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kalrakam
So I installed the fog lights through this way. It worked fine except now my driver rear backup sensor is all screwed up. Its not registering anything when backing up. When I am in the red zone in rear view camera, passenger rear is at sensing at red area but at that point my driver rear is sensing at green area.

Any suggestions?
So after troubleshooting a little I found out that my parking sonar is no longer detecting "Medium" and "Far" Length anymore. It only recognizes at "Near". Not sure if its some wiring or a computer glitch. Even when I change the option from Near to Far under settings sensors still senses from the same distance.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Even when I change the option from Near to Far under settings sensors still senses from the same distance.
Where is the setting for changing the sonar option from Near to Far. I looked in the car and the owner's manual and found nothing.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Max8
Where is the setting for changing the sonar option from Near to Far. I looked in the car and the owner's manual and found nothing.
It's on the speedometer dashboard --> Settings --> First or 2nd option from top. I believe it's Driver's Assistance --> Parking Aid --> Last option in that menu you can change from near to far.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM

It's on the speedometer dashboard --> Settings --> First or 2nd option from top. I believe it's Driver's Assistance --> Parking Aid --> Last option in that menu you can change from near to far.
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm installing my fogs this weekend. Anyone able to seal their fogs the band from original bulbs?
Old 01-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Did you put the H16's in with very little trouble,i know you already had the H11 and said they were problematic,but do the H16's angled down for a better fit? And do they plug in a certain way in order to get them to angle outward?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM

So you had to order a total of 4 led bulbs?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Yes, 4 bulbs total.
No moisture issues with the PIAA bulbs I got.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:22 PM

I'm having same issue only on driver's side as well. OPT7 kit. Wondering if it's not the lights but the housing.... Are you still having problems?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 AM

Man this issue is making think twice of swapping out my halogen for another kit. Seems like it doesn't matter which kit it is the moisture issues still rise.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 AM

It's not the housing, it's the bulbs. If it was a housing issue, the condensation would be there before the bulbs were replaced. When I changed my bulbs out, I noticed that the bulbs were physically moving inside the housing. It doesn't secure it well. I bent the tabs so that it would make it fit tighter. I do need to do it more as I am getting condensation in mine.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 AM

I will add that I replaced my fog lights with the JDMs about seven months ago and have no issue with any condensation. However, I may be one of the few that can say this.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Yeah seems like a hit or miss issue with people. But yeah let me know if bend the tabs worked over time with a few storms.