Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Head-unit 7th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Head-unit 7th gen

I'm adding a single sub with a 1400w amp, and I wanted to add a head unit as well. I have the navi touchscreen and wanted to connect it to use it along with the aftermarket head unit. Is this possible?

I'm unfamiliar with audio hook up so feel free to speak to me like a 12 year old. Need an after market head unit, single cd, aux hook up. That I can run my amp n sub from. But the main goal here is I want it to interact with my touchscreen. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM

You can't.

Why do you want an aftermarket HU?
__________________________________________________ ______________
If you want it for processing, you need a JL Cleansweep, or similar OEM integration device.

If you want it just to hook your sub in, then just use a LOC to the rear speakers, before the amp.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 PM

To make my stock speakers sound better. And to make the connection from the new sub/amp easier then just splitting it to the deck amp.

I had 2 10's split into my deck amp on the altima years ago and all I had was problems. Battery problems, subs cutting out, horrible sounding hits on certain songs.

Alright, if I can't use the navi screen, would the screen still display song tracks and such if I connect an aftermarket HU in?

I just feel like the split brings in too much music to the sub, when all I want it to do is produce that BOOM!

And do you split to amp, or to deck speakers? I'd be adding another amp as well...

Last edited by VVhite-0ut; 07-21-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM

It all depends on how much you want to spend.
I would ditch the idea of another HU. It is not possible to make it work 'legally'.

I have a 13" sub tapped into my rear speakers for signal and have no problems.

Where do you plan on putting this aftermarket unit?

You need to change your amp settings if you have too much music and not enough bass being produced.

Are you only adding an amp for the subs? You take signal from the rear speakers, before the factory amp if using low level inputs and a LOC to RCAs.. Or, use high level inputs and take the signal directly from the speaker.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Yeah I'd add the amp just for the sub. I've got the Bose system. So this split isn't causing problems with draining? Or cutting out? And where did you ground at?

And what's the difference between low level and high level? Or even, the difference between taking it from the rear speakers, or before the amp? Like I said, all I want from it is the boom, not the treble.

I appreciate the help though, thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Wait another question...

If I split AFTER the factory amp using the LOC and take the RCA's to the new amp, wouldn't the factory amp being doing more work? Twice the work actually. It's gotta amp the 2 deck subs, and the new amp. Is that going to draw power away from the deck subs? And would that draw even MORE power from the battery?

Would it be a safer bet to split before the factory amp? That way you're just taking the sound and pushing it into two sep amps. One powering the deck subs and the other for just the single?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM

The speakers take power, the amp takes signal. If you take signal from a speaker line, it is acting like a mirror and copying, not like another speaker and needing more power.

There are three ways to wire the subs in. They vary in difficulty. In reality,if you have no idea what you are doing, it is best to take it somewhere.

1. A LOC, or line out converter takes high voltage signal from the speakers, and makes it low voltage signal, or under 5 volts. This is what you would use if you tap at the speaker and plug into the low level input on the amp.

2. You take signal from before the Bose amp, and use the low level input on the amp.

3. You take signal from the speakers and then use the high level input on the amp.

High level input is up to 80 volts, where low level is up to 5 volts. Your car provides 12 volts,and the amp amplifies the signal into higher voltage to get the speakers really moving.

I ground mine at one of the seat belt bolts.

I have had a system in my cars for nearly 15 years and never had a problem.
I have had this one in the maxima for 2 years with no problems.

I tapped at the speaker, then set the amp to high level input. It reduced the wiring needed.
Some amps use separate high and low locations to plug in, some have one input location and a switch for high or low signal.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 AM

Heyy thanks for your time and all the info! I'll be purchasing what I need this week and putting it together this weekend. I'll let ya know how good or bad it goes

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looking forward to hearing about your setup.

I initially went with an aftermarket sub & sub amp. I picked up the signal from the stock subs and fed it into the amp's high level inputs. I recommend getting an amp with a wired remote to let you fine tune the bass a little better. A little later I added 3 1/2" coaxial speakers to replace the ones in the dash. This kept me satisfied for a little while.

I know have replaced all the front speakers (running a 3-way setup), added a processor, crossover, more amps, deadened the doors & added mlv, also deadened the trunk. Going this route, I picked up the signal from the front channels going into the OEM amp. I then routed the signal into the Audiocontrol processor. I was thinking of adding another Boston amp, configuring the existing amp & the new amp to give more power to the front speakers. Thing is that I'm actually pretty happy with how it sounds now. Maybe later if I get bored...
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM

^^ Jeez I should hope you're satisfied! I can hear it from here, your ride sounds great! lol

Quick question, looking at amp instillation kits. The amp is 1200w, best buy is selling a 4 gauge I think it was for 100 bucks. I'd still have to get a LOC. Wal-mart has a 8 gauge for 30 bucks? I don't plan on adding more to this set up. So my question is would Scoshe 8 gauge be sufficient enough for the amp and a single 10"?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM

I can order a 4 gauge kit from wal mart for Sosche still for much cheaper than best buys kits. Anybody know if the brand name really matters much for these?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't skimp on wiring...I would recommend knukonceptz. They sell quality wire at reasonable prices. Here's a 4ga kit. You can piece one together as well without the RCA cables.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-au...tallation-kit/
Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 PM

I second knukonceptz wiring. Very good stuff.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Technically, you can easily do this, but it is a waste of time and money, not to mention- pointless.

Then again, this thread was active a month ago so I guess you figured that out already.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

7th gen head unit question

I have a 2010 Maxima with Bose, but w/o Navi. I absolutely hate the head unit, especially the fact that it is not Bluetooth capable for music. Is it at all possible to remove the head unit only, and install a new unit while utilizing the Bose speakers and amp?

If so, what do I need? I have zero knowledge of car audio systems and would take it to a professional to install.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
The speakers take power, the amp takes signal. If you take signal from a speaker line, it is acting like a mirror and copying, not like another speaker and needing more power.

There are three ways to wire the subs in. They vary in difficulty. In reality,if you have no idea what you are doing, it is best to take it somewhere.

1. A LOC, or line out converter takes high voltage signal from the speakers, and makes it low voltage signal, or under 5 volts. This is what you would use if you tap at the speaker and plug into the low level input on the amp.

2. You take signal from before the Bose amp, and use the low level input on the amp.

3. You take signal from the speakers and then use the high level input on the amp.

High level input is up to 80 volts, where low level is up to 5 volts. Your car provides 12 volts,and the amp amplifies the signal into higher voltage to get the speakers really moving.

I ground mine at one of the seat belt bolts.

I have had a system in my cars for nearly 15 years and never had a problem.
I have had this one in the maxima for 2 years with no problems.

I tapped at the speaker, then set the amp to high level input. It reduced the wiring needed.
Some amps use separate high and low locations to plug in, some have one input location and a switch for high or low signal.

MaximaDrvr, I learned again from you and will do the install this weekend... I will do no. 3 - I have a kenwood KAC-7404 amp with high and low level. inputs.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Installed my Kenwood amp and Sony 10" subwoofer yesterday. Very Happy with the set up.