General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Las Vegas Trip: V1 radar detector, Winnings, Roadkill and Roadrage (very long)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow, what a weekend I had this past Sunday and Monday going to Las Vegas and back. Sorry for a late and long post, but I wanted to vent happiness and anger.

Sunday: 3 of my coworkers and I went to Las Vegas using my 2000 Maxima. 2 of them are Honda drivers, a 2001 non-modded Civic EX and a 1998 modded Integra, and the last was a 1996 modded Eclipse driver. All those cars are 5 spds. Each of them thinks that all those cars are fast, but didn't think the Maxima could stack up, even modded. Boy were they wrong. Since I had the biggest car, we packed all the luggage in the truck and headed off. Once I got onto the I-15 north to Vegas, I mashed on the gas. All 3 of my friends were shocked at the amount of G-force pushing them back into the seats and the quickness of a loaded Maxima. All 3 agreed that this car was even faster accelerating than their cars even loaded with weight. Anyways, once we pasted the state border into Nevada and on the last uphill before entering Vegas, my V1 radar was picking up a weak K-band signal. This was unique, because everywhere else, I was picking up weak false signal from supermkts, and background noise from nearby towns I passed. But, there was no town around this area of the last hill. And also, this hill had turns. So the signal grew in strength as we crossed over the hill. Before, I was going a constant 95mph, but I didn't want to take a chance, so I slowed down to the limit of 70mph and moved over to the slow lane. At this point, I was going down hill, and the V1 was going off like crazy at full strength. Other cars were passing me and gave me the dirty look because I slowed down kinda abruptly while earlier I buzzed by them up the hill. Well, while going down the mountain, we finally saw what was causing this K-band. It was a Nevada highway patrol parked along the side of the road with its radar pointed back. This dude was in a modded Camero SS. Lowered, massive wheels and rims, dual exhuast, hoodscoop, and maybe packing a SC in the engine waiting to chase someone down. Its kinda funny seeing everyone trying to slow down from 90mph down to 70 when they saw that monster. Fortunately, everyone pasted without being ticketed. Now after seeing the V1 in action, my coworker wants to get one, because they honestly said they would have buzzed by that patrol. I was impressed that the tremondous range of this V1. At least 1.5 miles and up the hill also. Plenty of time and distance to slow down.

Sunday night/Monday morning: Once in Vegas, we all had a good time. Gambling, drinking, and nudie bars. We even came back winning about $500+ total amoungst us 4. No one lost. =)

Monday night: Ok, at this point we left Vegas at 9pm. So there were only a few cars on the road. With my V1 on, we speed off for home. I pasted the slower cars using turn signal at least 5-10 car distance away so that I wouldn't have to make abrupt last minute lane changes at high speed. Once we were at Barstow area, there was this one 1986/7 Ford Thunderbird in the fast lane in front of me. So I pasted him like I did with the other slow car at 10 car lengths away in the slow lane. Once I pasted him, I had a clear lane in front of me, so I found no need to switch back over to the fast lane. Then I looked at my rearview mirror and saw the T-bird picking up speed and said "What the f*ck." When I said this, my friends woke up from their nap and wondered what was I saying. I told them that that POS T-bird I pasted is speeding up from behind. In front of me I eventually caught up to a slower car, so I speed up and past it in the fast lane. So now, I was going 95mph and the Thunderbird was still closing the distance. Soon in front there was 2 slow cars, one in each lanes. At this point the T-bird moved over to the slow lane and pasted me. He moved up to the car in his lane and cut across to the fast lane really close to the car in front of me without signaling. After passing the car, the T-bird, slowed down and kept a constant distance in front. My friends and I were like, "The f*ck is wrong with him?" I eventually moved around the slower cars without a problem and went back up to speed, 80mph, and pasted that T-bird in the slow lane. Soon that T-bird sped up again, and this time, I thought, if he wanted a race, then he'll get one. Once he pasted me, my friends and I said, "Its on. This T-bird is dinner!!!" I dropped into 4th and floored it. 80...90...100...I caught up to him with ease, moved over to the fast lane behind him, flashing high beams at his sorry ***. Then I moved back over to the slow lane and punch it to 5th...100...110..120...and I see him "trying" to catch up. What a ****. I eventually flashed my emergency lights ending the race. But this dude would give up. At this point, we reached Apple Valley, where the highway opened up from 2 lane to 4 lanes and I slowed back down to 80mph. The T-bird passed me again, but I found no need to race again. But we noticed that he was an idiot, cutting cars off with quick lane changes without signaling, pissing off drivers whom flashed him for doing so. He somehow choose the wrong lanes and ended up behind me again. Eventually, I moved around the slower traffic and was in the fast lane and it was all clear ahead across all 4 lanes. Then looking at my rearview mirror, I see the T-bird again at the slow lane way over at the right hand. His lane is clear, but he bolted across all 4 lanes into my lane without signaling cutting me off by inches and speed off!!! Dude, this guy is asking for a bruising!!! One, at this point, the highway was wet from the rain and two, what was he trying to prove? So, I dropped back into 4th and took chase. I wanted to somehow stop him and pull his sorry *** out of the car. Also, one of my friends is a pro-am boxer and the other is a body builder and both wanted a piece of that guy. I did eventually pulled up to him, highbeamed him, honked and moved over and yelled at him from the right side. But I had no success in stopping him. At this point, the highway became very wet and foggy. My friend and I thought, ths guy is not worth the trouble anyways. Damn. What a weekend of roadkill-roadrage. What would you guys would have done?
Old 02-21-2001, 11:57 PM

People like that are not worth the trouble.

What if he goes crazy and bumps into you at 90+ miles? or if you stop him and he pulls a gun? We got lots of crazy dudes man. I wouldnt even have raced him in the first place. Thunderbird? come on, gimme a break. I'm a 24 year old programmer fresh out of college. I dont wanna race no 80's thunderbirds or camaros. I dont care if it's heavily modded or not. I hate those cars.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When can I drive your 93 SE 5sp?
________
Cheap vaporizers

Last edited by ThurzNite; 03-21-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2001, 05:45 AM

spelling

sorry to be **** retentive, but i just wanted to point out that i didn't notice that you meant to say "passed". I kept thinking that pasted which i read as "paste-ed", was some sort of slang for switching into a lane in front of a car until about halfway through your post when i finally realized what you meant.

ok, that's all
=)
Old 02-22-2001, 06:01 AM

No one lost and you hit the nudie bars! Wish I could say the same!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:16 AM

past = tense, time frame
pass = distance, position...

you passed him. But that's now in the past.

Vegas people and those who visit here are weird. I have guys try to race me in 1987 Toyota pick-ups here in Vegas. I don't get it.