1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Going to 1/4 mile strip this weekend...what do i need???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003 | 05:47 PM
I H8 COPS

Going to 1/4 mile strip this weekend...what do i need???

Hi all. I own a 99 maxima SE-L 5-spd. I going to a race strip near my house which times 1/4 mile. First off, anything specific that i should bring with? Never been to one before so please understand...I need help. ALso, how does it look...I mean the race...do they pair me up with just anybody? How many times do I get to drive? How much fuel should I have? What type of fuel? 93 OK? Lastly, any specific instructions as to how I should drive? For instance...changing gears at 4, 5, or 6 rpm? 99 Maxima SE owners please respond! THanks.

P.S. My max is stock except for a regular intake. If I peak perform, what times should I be looking at?
Old 06-19-2003 | 05:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

watch several people run first.
Watch how they stage, Notice that when the two sets of yellow lights come on at the top of the tree that you are staged properly. Have no less that 1/4 tank of premium in your car. take out everything you can I.E. spare jack, back seat if you so desire. Make several runs and shift at different RPM's and see which combo gives you the best times. When you see the last yellow light come on go ahead and take off.DO NOT WAIT FOR THE GREEN. and drive it like you stole it.
Old 06-19-2003 | 06:03 PM
I H8 COPS

why don't I wait for the green? I don't get it
Old 06-19-2003 | 06:21 PM

Reaction Time means abslutely nothing if your not actually racing the person next to you. If you want to get steller R/Ts, launching at the 2nd yellow light is what everyone does. By the time you step on the gas after seeing the 2nd yellow light, the green light is already on. If you consistently wait for the green light to flash FIRST, then hit the gas, your R/T numbers wont be better than .8-.9., maybe north of a 1.

Most peoples reaction time is about a .5 of a second, from eye contact to your foot, so when you see that 2nd yellow light, by the time you react, the green light has already went up.

Pretty damn confusing i know. Dont worry about your R/Ts, just maintain your focus on your technique, get a feel for the track. I learned i have to launch higher at the track since its grippier there. Its not easy with a 5speed.

Some things to bring with you include (obviously) your ID, drinks and food if you dont feel like paying for food. Maybe one of those portable tent cover things to keep you shaded.

Also, try different shift points, try shifting at around 6K RPM one run, and try 6300 the next and so on. I found slightly short shifting allows me to run better times.

You should be running anywhere from a 15.1-15.5ish. Dont worry about your first times though, i only managed a 15.8 my first run, brought that down to a 14.9...

Good luck, have fun and be safe!!!!

post your results when you get back

Eric
Old 06-19-2003 | 09:24 PM
Old Maxima Legend

I will be going to the track for my first time as well. How do you know who you race ? Do you just end up beside cars at random. Are many people showing up for dragracing ? Like is it gaining popularity or already really popular. I cant wait until i have the answers for all the ones i have, and I will post my numbers as well. hope to represent the maximas well.

that take off on the second light seems crazy. im just going to count them down and when it hits the light before green im going to fly out screaming down dragway with all i have. if i get red lighted then it will just be live and learn.

im considering to go ahead and go over this weekend. I have a frankencar midpipe coming soon and im ordering the warpspeed metal substrate catalytic converter. i wanted to wait until i got those installed but it might be cool to see my times and then see what i get with the new additions.

present mods on my 97 5 speed: jwt intake, warpspeed y pipe and b pipe, magnaflow muffler, kyb agx shocks, eibach prokit springs
mods on the way: warpspeed cat, frankencar midpipe, UD Pulley, and after those three JWT ECU

Which reminds me. Is there a certain tire pressure we should use in the front and what about front shock adjustments on the kyb agx's?
Old 06-19-2003 | 09:58 PM

I run 25 PSI in the front. With your mods you need to be seeing some high 14's
Old 06-20-2003 | 11:56 AM
OG

As already mentioned, you wanna make sure you have as little in the car as possible, that includes fuel. Slightly less than a 1/4 tank is optimal. Premium grade fuel should always be used in the Maxima, rather you're racing or not. If you still hve your stock wheels, I suggest throwing those on in the front rather than your aftermarket 17's or whatever. I generally lower my front tire pressure to about 20-25psi. Whether you're stock or have mods, I suggest you launch no higher than 2000rpms. I usually try to launch at around 1800rpm. Try different things, sometimes wheel spin can actually help and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes redlining it helps and other times it doesn't.

Being consitant takes a lot of practice, so don't even bother worrying about what times you're gonna get. Go out, try your best, have fun and try not be nervous. If you break 14's the first time, cool, you're doin something right so keep it up. If you don't, that's cool too, cause now you have a basis on what to improve on. Don't worry abot who you're racing cause really, you're racing yourself. Have fun..
Old 06-20-2003 | 12:09 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
Reaction Time means abslutely nothing if your not actually racing the person next to you. If you want to get steller R/Ts, launching at the 2nd yellow light is what everyone does. By the time you step on the gas after seeing the 2nd yellow light, the green light is already on. If you consistently wait for the green light to flash FIRST, then hit the gas, your R/T numbers wont be better than .8-.9., maybe north of a 1.
I dont know what hes talking about the 2nd yellow for. Nobody does that. People leave when they see the LAST yellow. If I left on second yellow I would red light everytime.

I hit 15.0 stock. I think 99 is slower a bit. so 15.1 would be a good mark to shoot for. first time racing you will be lucky to hit 15.3 probably. takes practice.
Old 06-20-2003 | 12:49 PM

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

I dont know what hes talking about the 2nd yellow for. Nobody does that. People leave when they see the LAST yellow. If I left on second yellow I would red light everytime.

I hit 15.0 stock. I think 99 is slower a bit. so 15.1 would be a good mark to shoot for. first time racing you will be lucky to hit 15.3 probably. takes practice.

haha, yeah, definately forgot about the THIRD yellow light, my bad.

And you can specify the person you want to race, just tell the stager when you get to the line. theres rarely ever a problem...

Eric
Old 06-20-2003 | 05:48 PM
I H8 COPS

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

haha, yeah, definately forgot about the THIRD yellow light, my bad.

And you can specify the person you want to race, just tell the stager when you get to the line. theres rarely ever a problem...

Eric
Well, ok...I guess I'm ready to due some killin! HAHA...that is...killin my Max subsequently!