1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Could the "SL" be faster??!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could the "SL" be faster??!!!!!

Hmmmmm. That is a question I am going to answer very soon. The motors
are equal. The wheels on the SE are heavier. The suspention is "tigher" for better handeling which is BAD for Drag Racing. I have been toying a lil bit the past few days. And I can get this to hook pretty good. I am hoping Raceway Park wont be it's normal "ICE LIKE" conditions. But I will be going to Cecil soon too and Island; both of those tracks hook very hard. Based on ratios of both
transmissions there is a slight difference. But I believe the lighter wheels and the slightly less overall first gear ratio (better hook) will be all that is needed to
equal the performance of the 5spd auto SE. But if the weather holds out I'll post on Sun or Mon.

Tony
Old 03-10-2004, 06:41 AM
andymax95

I took my SE, 5-speed auto to Atco last friday and I was Consistently running 14.6X. I was able to hook good off the line. Helpful hint, don't floor from the line cause you'll spin all through first (which I did on one run and still ran an impressive 14.8x). Give it gas for a second and then punch it.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:20 AM
SLOW

In a front wheel drive car you want stiffer suspension for drag launches to minimize weight transfer to the rear (off the front wheels). The SE has stiffer suspension than the SL doesn't it?

Lighter wheels, or lighter anything, will obviously help, that's just physics right there. I doubt the differences between the two are significant enough that you would ever be able to tell. Minor differences in launch technique will probably make more of a difference than a few pounds or a slightly stiffer suspension. I don't know enough about the gear ratios of the two cars and how they relate to the powerband to make a comparison there.