1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Went Back To KCIR - And They Wouldn't Let Me Run...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:51 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Went Back To KCIR - And They Wouldn't Let Me Run...

After getting the Immoblizer cleared and my Max running again, I headed off to KCIR on Wednesday - a 2 1/2 hour trip through rush hour. I paid my $20 at the gate, went through and parked, unloaded the car and went to tech checkin.

The tech guy saw the nitrous bottle - as usual - and asked for my flameproof jacket. ? What - and why ? since I've never owned one. He said they are now enforcing the NHRA rule about anyone having a nitrous bottle in the car must have a SFI-approved fire jacket.

We discussed this a few moments, (two years with nitrous on three tracks and no jacket required) then I pulled out of line and put the car back on the trailer. I chased down the track owner to try and get my $20 back. We talked - about how I was at his track two weeks earlier, and a jacket wasn't required. He wound up giving me a free pass to all remaining test-and-tune events for the rest of the year at KCIR - through October, at least.

I looked around on the internet, and found this: http://www.firebirdraceway.com/06web...reetdrags.html

"As of February 1st all vehicles with an aftermarket power adder, (nitrous, turbocharger, or supercharger) will be required to wear an SFI approved fire jacket".

Just like a fine restaurant, a jacket is required. I think I'm doomed this year...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM
SLOW

I hate that crap. My closest track used to have this real rule ****, except this crazy old bag (yes it was a lady) was a bit off her rocker I think, and would make up rules that didn't make any sense. She once told me that I needed a scattershield because I had an aftermarket ECU because "those aftermarket computers add alot of torque. LOL luckily, they got rid of that broad.

By their logic, Johnny Ricer in his 16 second junkyard turbo'd civic that cost him a grand total of $800 to put together needs a $150 flame retardant jacket... riiiight.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:49 PM
3.5 in the works

Sheesh that's ****.. you've had some bad luck lately Harry!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, the jacket thing is now being enforced at KCIR. A couple other people I know had the same problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought the flame jacket was only required when you run 11.99 or under. In fact there used to be a real barrier at 12.00/11.99. You'd need the jacket, 6-point roll bar and driveshaft loop (RWD). That's more or less where the line between a track and street car was.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Sheesh that's ****.. you've had some bad luck lately Harry!
I did order a G-Force jacket from Jegs last night, so maybe I can go back next Wednesday and try again. I'm at least 90 miles from any open 1/4 mile strip - but there are several about 150 miles away - the main reason for geting a supercharged Nissan pickup and trailer this spring. If you wanna play, you gotta pay!

What bites is that I've only made one pass since July 5th - what with the heat wave and Immoblizer losing its mind, and the stealership lying to me about the ECU. Now its the dress code keeping me on the trailer. But I still like my Maxima.

Hi, Dave B, have you gone to KCIR this fall?? That strip is crazy busy, and always entertaining, what with the huge cross-section of cars on T-and-T nites. I made sure to "nice" the owner and tech guy there - I think something happened to make them enforce all the Mickey Mouse rules, so we're all stuck with them now. We'll see. I'll be back.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:52 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by JClaw
I thought the flame jacket was only required when you run 11.99 or under. In fact there used to be a real barrier at 12.00/11.99. You'd need the jacket, 6-point roll bar and driveshaft loop (RWD). That's more or less where the line between a track and street car was.
Nope, that's a NHRA rule change as of Feb. 1 2006. I was quoting it exactly. Came as a real surprise to me, and I bet many others that night, since it includes nitrous, turbos, and superchargers.....

I sure hope there are no more surprises next time.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:56 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
By their logic, Johnny Ricer in his 16 second junkyard turbo'd civic that cost him a grand total of $800 to put together needs a $150 flame retardant jacket... riiiight.
Yes he will - on any NHRA track that enforces the rules. That one was effective Feb. 1 2006. And I thought I read the d*mn rulebook, too. I even measured my lug nuts and thread depth. Oh, well.......
Old 09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by grey99max
What bites is that I've only made one pass since July 5th - what with the heat wave and Immoblizer losing its mind, and the stealership lying to me about the ECU. Now its the dress code keeping me on the trailer. But I still like my Maxima.
I feel your pain! I haven't been since July 1st, it got really hot for a while, and my shifter support rod broke and it took me 4 weeks to get it, then I had some other stuff come up and before you know it, it's been like 8 weeks. The weather was nice and cool lately too and now that I am ready to go again this weekend it's supposed to warm up again...
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I feel your pain! I haven't been since July 1st, it got really hot for a while, and my shifter support rod broke and it took me 4 weeks to get it, then I had some other stuff come up and before you know it, it's been like 8 weeks. The weather was nice and cool lately too and now that I am ready to go again this weekend it's supposed to warm up again...

We're all DOOMED !!!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by grey99max
Hi, Dave B, have you gone to KCIR this fall?? That strip is crazy busy, and always entertaining, what with the huge cross-section of cars on T-and-T nites.
"Crazy busy" is why you'll rarely find me at KCIR anymore. I got real sick of waiting 30-50 minutes between passes with a heat soaked motor and only getting in about 3-4 runs in a night. Even with temps in the lower 70s right now, the overall conditions aren't that great. The DA is still hovering in 1,500-2000' range.

I only go to the track in the Fall now when they're open for Sunday racing (12-4pm). The conditions are usually really good (sub 500' DA) and the track is fairly empty, especially when the Chiefs are playing. I usually can get as many runs as I want on those days. I always run my best when it's a sunny cool crisp day (50s, low humidity, good baro). Unfortunately KCIR won't open unless it's in the upper 40s and sunny. I'd kill to run in some 30 degree weather like some tracks do.

I'll PM you when I go back out. In the mean time, swing by the KC 4 doors site www.fast4doors.com
Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

One More Time

Originally Posted by Dave B
"Crazy busy" is why you'll rarely find me at KCIR anymore. I got real sick of waiting 30-50 minutes between passes with a heat soaked motor and only getting in about 3-4 runs in a night. Even with temps in the lower 70s right now, the overall conditions aren't that great. The DA is still hovering in 1,500-2000' range.

I got my G-Force Nomex jacket from Jegs yesterday, so I'm going back to KCIR on Wednesday - again.

I tracked down a site with references to the sections and pages of the 2006 Rulebook, and found something else to concern us:
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...7015.msg652514

"NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006
Protective Clothing Changes
The Protective Clothing of the E.T. section of the NHRA Rulebook states which jacket and/or pants are needed for 10.00 and slower and 9.99 and quicker.
Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitous-equiped cars, with or without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall. Please review the Protective Clothing sections, Section 1A – Superpro, Pro, Sportsman and Section 1B – Advanced E.T. of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

Section 1-A, located on page 24 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook read as follows:
10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory.

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) to 11.49 (*7.35 1/8 mile): Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.

The same Spec for Advanced E.T. is located in Section 1B, located on page #27 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

Further details about the 9.99 requirements may be found in Section 1A – Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman section of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook, beginning on page #18.

Computers
During NHRA competition, no portable computer (e.g., laptop, PDA, Palm Pilot, programmer, ect.) may be used or located in a vehicle at any point beyond the staging area ready line. All functions or values must be pre-set prior to this point. This includes Grudge Race and Time Trial runs.
Page #224 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook. "

Note the "Computers" part. No portable computer of any type allowed !

I just hope I make it onto the track on Wednesday. Is a MSD 8969 programmable RPM switch a portable computer?

I hope I get to use my