1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Replacement Front Door Speakers for '88

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacement Front Door Speakers for '88

I need to replace the front door speakers in my 1988 Maxima. Crutchfield shows no direct replacements, but lists 6 1/2" as a "P" fit, meaning I'd have to drill out the screw holes.

Anyone replace the front door speakers? Any advice? I don't wanna spend a lot of money, but the buzzing sound is killing me!

Thanks!

Tom
Old 10-04-2002, 07:45 AM

Well, depending upon if you plan on keeping your car for a while, I wouldn't buy a cheapo brand. Get something nice.

Our factory fronts are 6 3/4", but 6 1/2" will do fine. Though, for the latter, you may have to drill holes in your door, make sure you have someone hold the door for you, because you could drill right through and hit your window glass (had a friend do that on his car and it didn't look pretty). There is also some issue for clearing the depth, I think the maxima depth recommended should be 1 13/18". I am running RF 2614FNX components.

I suggest component speakers if you can afford them, not midrange.

Check out http://www.etronics.com

They are WAY cheaper than Crutchfield and actually sell some pretty decent sh*t.

-A
Old 10-04-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by avalon42
Well, depending upon if you plan on keeping your car for a while, I wouldn't buy a cheapo brand. Get something nice.

Our factory fronts are 6 3/4", but 6 1/2" will do fine. Though, for the latter, you may have to drill holes in your door, make sure you have someone hold the door for you, because you could drill right through and hit your window glass (had a friend do that on his car and it didn't look pretty). There is also some issue for clearing the depth, I think the maxima depth recommended should be 1 13/18". I am running RF 2614FNX components.

I suggest component speakers if you can afford them, not midrange.

Check out http://www.etronics.com

They are WAY cheaper than Crutchfield and actually sell some pretty decent sh*t.

-A
I had 6 1/2 140 watt pioneers in my front of my 87, I had to drill just one hole to hold them in, the other holes matched up pretty well, I had no rattle or anything. Goodluck man
Old 10-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Charles Bisel

If you get your speakers from a store like Best Buy, they'll install them for you. That way you don't have to worry about ripping the door panels off and drilling holes. They do sell some pretty decent speakers, though they're a bit more expensive than what you'd get off the internet. And if you're going for a really great sound system, I wouldn't recommend them. Don't get me wrong, they have some pretty good speakers like Rockford Fosgates, but if you want to go with a good component setup like Avalon said, you're going to either have to shop around on the net or go to a specialty place that deals with car audio. If you go to a speciality car audio shop, they'll charge you for the installation.

-C-

Old 10-05-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
If you get your speakers from a store like Best Buy, they'll install them for you. That way you don't have to worry about ripping the door panels off and drilling holes. They do sell some pretty decent speakers, though they're a bit more expensive than what you'd get off the internet. And if you're going for a really great sound system, I wouldn't recommend them. Don't get me wrong, they have some pretty good speakers like Rockford Fosgates, but if you want to go with a good component setup like Avalon said, you're going to either have to shop around on the net or go to a specialty place that deals with car audio. If you go to a speciality car audio shop, they'll charge you for the installation.

-C-
I dunno man, some of the most impressive systems i've seen are fosgates and such, im talking like multiple 12's etc. You can get good stuff at best buy.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, RF speakers are great. But what you're talking about are subwoofers. I was talking about the speakers in the door panels. They don't carry the small tweeters that you need for a component setup. Even though they're extremely small, they're usually the most expensive, upwards of $300 for two. Plus you need crossovers and I don't think Best Buy carries them. Also, they usually don't carry the best models of a particular brand. For example, they'll have a few Pioneer speakers but they don't carry the Pioneer Premier ones. If you really want a great setup, Best Buy isn't the best option.

-C-

Old 10-05-2002, 06:46 PM

Yeah, RF speakers are great. But what you're talking about are subwoofers. I was talking about the speakers in the door panels. They don't carry the small tweeters that you need for a component setup. Even though they're extremely small, they're usually the most expensive, upwards of $300 for two. Plus you need crossovers and I don't think Best Buy carries them. Also, they usually don't carry the best models of a particular brand. For example, they'll have a few Pioneer speakers but they don't carry the Pioneer Premier ones. If you really want a great setup, Best Buy isn't the best option.

-C-
Not to mention the maximum depth of the front speakers (can't stress this enough). That's why you have to shop around for the right set that will fit the door panel AND your wallet. You can run spacers but I like the flush look on the car, keep it stock as possible. Don't want a monster *** speaker plugging your door with extra weight when you can still get killer sound from a smaller magnet.

Just my opinion, but I like RF or Eclipse.

-A
Old 10-06-2002, 08:45 AM

-C-
oh ok, i got what your saying now. I saw one good deal there once, 140 watt pioneers on sale, $60 for the pair, pioneers are decent, but yeah i agree you need to go to specialty places to get your real options
Old 10-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm glad i looked at this thread...i just got me an 88 max and need ta put in new speakers all over..the person who owned it has already cut sum wholes and got drilled where speakers went...so i have to see if the speakers in there are even hooked up...i know the rear drivers side speaker plays though but it needs to be replaced also....
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 AM

Best Buy

Most Best Buy products are angled toward the crowd of teenangers with there first car audio system. They cary some decent stuff, but there is no way you can build a super great sounding system from what they sell at best buy. They just dont sell the right speakers, or even the woofers for that matter. But it will do for most people since they arent looking to spend around $300-$700 for a pair of speakers or $150-$450 for a subwoofer.

So its decent stuff, but defiantely isnt high end car audio stuff. And what I do know is car audio, not much about Maxima's though. I even compete in car audio compeitions.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Charles Bisel

Oh man, isn't it such a god damn surprise that you happen to show up at the same time 'Silver Panties' starts ranting about his BS Maxima.

It's so f*cking obvious that you know absolutely jack about cars. You can barely get some 6" speakers in the door because of the depth of the speaker, how the f*ck do you think a 6x9 is going to fit?!? Maybe it can hang half way out the door, at least that's what it would look like on a car done up by your dumb a$$.

Don't ever listen to anything this dumb f*ck says, he says his friend has a Hennessey Viper and his aunt drives a Ferrari. He also managed to put turbos on his car, a Mustang hood, and eventually he ended up setting fire to the POS because he doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Isuzu Amigo...

-C-

Old 10-15-2002, 04:37 PM

Like i said before, you stay the hell out of here silverpants, we don't want any backstreet boys with blonde streaks in their hair. Hey maybe he is an icy hot stunta. Anyone seen that website?? http://www.icyhotstunta.com/ I think 88maxsucks and silverpantsisaloser is the guy on the right.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by 88max2nv
hi all yall biatches. forget replacing the front speakers with factory sized ones. bust off that ugly slotted **** over the factory speakers. drop in 6x9,s and use the grills that came with them, use 4-way speakers and you dont have to buy component ****, i like the bi-ampable lanzar 6x9's, and they were under $175.
You're the stupidest piece of $hit. HOW EXACTLY DO YOU FIT 6 X 9s in the front doors? SHOW ME PICS, or shut your silly @ss bull$hit.

Talking lots of $hit, I don't even think you've even driven in a 2nd Gen Maxima, let alone a Nissan for that matter. I don't think any government agency would let a sorry punk @ss motherf**ker like yourself even get a license.

-A
Old 10-16-2002, 07:56 AM

Front Speakers

Plomaris,
Go to Radio shack and for 12.99 you'll get a 20 WATT RMS, 40 watt peak 6 1/2 speaker for your front door. You won't have to drill any holes and there are no rattles. Just don't tighten one screww before putting in the others. Get one screw to just grab and then put in the other two and then tighten them a litle at a time. I have replaced both front speakers this way and they are a perfect match for the stock radio. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Front Speakers

Originally posted by sen8or
Plomaris,
Go to Radio shack and for 12.99 you'll get a 20 WATT RMS, 40 watt peak 6 1/2 speaker for your front door. You won't have to drill any holes and there are no rattles. Just don't tighten one screww before putting in the others. Get one screw to just grab and then put in the other two and then tighten them a litle at a time. I have replaced both front speakers this way and they are a perfect match for the stock radio. Good luck.

Your joking right? god please tell me your joking
Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 AM

Re: Re: Front Speakers

Originally posted by Brendan

Your joking right? god please tell me your joking
I hope he is. Radioshack is known to buy all defective equipment and market them as their own. Scary...

...although I shop there for electronic components at a last resort.

-A
Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Charles Bisel

Radioshack

Well, I do like the fact that they carry a ton of electrical parts like resistors and capacitors and they have a sh*tload of batteries, but all of the home/car audio stuff they sell is cheap sh*t Optimus and RCA junk.

Well, if you still have the stock radio/eq setup, then the Radioshack speakers should work alright for you (the stock head unit doesn't put out much power and you really wouldn't get that much benefit from expensive speakers). But if you've got an aftermarket head unit (or are planning to buy one in the future), they usually put out 35-50 watts per channel, which will easily blow out those RS speakers.

-C-