1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sunroofs

I know that you guys (well, some of you...) know the two types of sunroofs, the ones that slides in between you headliner and roof and the ones that can pop out like a vent. I am curious to know if there is a third type, the one sunroof that can do both slide in between the headliner and popout to vent. Any one of you guys (who know) know? I am just starring at this space on my sunroof console that could be the spot for that vent switch. If there is one, I'am going to find that sunroof for my 86 and throw it in. ( I am trying to make my car a little unique...)
Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 AM

Re: Sunroofs

Originally posted by GundamWZero
I know that you guys (well, some of you...) know the two types of sunroofs, the ones that slides in between you headliner and roof and the ones that can pop out like a vent. I am curious to know if there is a third type, the one sunroof that can do both slide in between the headliner and popout to vent. Any one of you guys (who know) know? I am just starring at this space on my sunroof console that could be the spot for that vent switch. If there is one, I'am going to find that sunroof for my 86 and throw it in. ( I am trying to make my car a little unique...)
wait, so you mean youw ant it to slide back, and tilt up? My 87 did both, stock.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Sunroofs

My '87 does both as well.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Sunroofs

Originally posted by GundamWZero

The 85-86's sunroof only slide back, doesn't tilt-up.

Al
Old 10-18-2002, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: Sunroofs

Originally posted by Brendan

wait, so you mean youw ant it to slide back, and tilt up? My 87 did both, stock.

Okay, then. Do you think I can fit it on my 86 Maxima?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:31 PM

Sunroof

Gundamwzero,
85-88 used the same sunroof insert,meaning if you can find an87 with the tilt, remove the headliner and take out the six retaiing/adjusting bolts. You willneed to disconnect one pair of wires at the slip clip on the drivers side by the drian pipe. The whole unit will come down and out any of the doors. I just cut the headliner at the junkyard, but you will have to take care of removing your headliner. Use an uphostery plug puller and remove the trim above the driver side doors, then remove the sunroof trim gasket. You will have to remove the front interior gasket to the windshield and remove the mirror mount, sunvisors etc. Once all of the trim is removed. carefully pull back from above the drivers door, the headliner cloth that is glued to the door frame. You only have to remove three sides, I did the front, the drivers side and the rear and left the passenger side attached to keep the headliner in line. Take note when you remove the sunroof from a junkyard on how the headliner clips to the back of the sunroof unit before attaching to rear window. Remove the dome light as well and disconnect the power, pulling the wire all the way back to above the doors. It is taped under the matting. Once your remove your old sunroof unit, just install the the junkyard one with the six screws. A word of caution though, if you put an 87 sunroof unit in an '86, make sure the sunroof is positioned correctly in the hole before putting the headliner back in place. The only adjustment for the 87-88 sunroof unit are those six screws. Also make sure you get the control switch/overhead light units for that sunroof as well from the junkyard. They are different from 85/86 to 87/88 and not just because of the tilt feature. Good luck. It took me about 1.5 to 2 hours the first time, only 45 minutes the second when I learned from mistakes.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:44 PM

Re: Sunroof

Originally posted by sen8or
Gundamwzero,
85-88 used the same sunroof insert,meaning if you can find an87 with the tilt, remove the headliner and take out the six retaiing/adjusting bolts. You willneed to disconnect one pair of wires at the slip clip on the drivers side by the drian pipe. The whole unit will come down and out any of the doors. I just cut the headliner at the junkyard, but you will have to take care of removing your headliner. Use an uphostery plug puller and remove the trim above the driver side doors, then remove the sunroof trim gasket. You will have to remove the front interior gasket to the windshield and remove the mirror mount, sunvisors etc. Once all of the trim is removed. carefully pull back from above the drivers door, the headliner cloth that is glued to the door frame. You only have to remove three sides, I did the front, the drivers side and the rear and left the passenger side attached to keep the headliner in line. Take note when you remove the sunroof from a junkyard on how the headliner clips to the back of the sunroof unit before attaching to rear window. Remove the dome light as well and disconnect the power, pulling the wire all the way back to above the doors. It is taped under the matting. Once your remove your old sunroof unit, just install the the junkyard one with the six screws. A word of caution though, if you put an 87 sunroof unit in an '86, make sure the sunroof is positioned correctly in the hole before putting the headliner back in place. The only adjustment for the 87-88 sunroof unit are those six screws. Also make sure you get the control switch/overhead light units for that sunroof as well from the junkyard. They are different from 85/86 to 87/88 and not just because of the tilt feature. Good luck. It took me about 1.5 to 2 hours the first time, only 45 minutes the second when I learned from mistakes.
Thanx for that good bit of info!!! there are just too many salvaged maximas around here to get at. Hmmmm, choices, choices. Gotta get that plug puller, though..........