1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Help, Experienced Modifers Only!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003 | 09:04 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by iansw

Whoa! Learn to be patient and just hit "submit" once, man!

erm, you have a VG30E. The only performance motor your gonna get is the VG30ET. See the pretty underline? VE30DE was found in the 92 and newer maxima's. You don't have that. Nice color huh? Anyway, your not gonna be able to fit a VE in our cars, nor will you fit VG30DE, VG30DET, VG30DETT, VQ30DE, VQ30DE-K, VQ30DET.....so on, so forth, yada yada yada. You'd have to do some major surgery for those motors to fit. So if you do that, whip out the shoe-horn.

As for there being no VE30DET....your right, buy a 4th gen instead. The VE had to many goodies and would cost too much to make with a turbo for Nissan. Hence VQ, which gets some of those goodies, but not all.

The difference between VG30ET, and VG30E is a few things, intake manifold, compression ratio, slightly different bore and stroke, and a more aggressive fuel curve programmed in the ECU. I see the possiblity of loosing some mileage, but then again, the force induction may help out little, but not much. FreshAlloy's chart doesn't go back to our generation.

Dum Dum dum.

S
Old 01-04-2003 | 09:07 PM

frankencar CAI

well to all those who are intrested in CAI, i am currently in contact with one of the head developers at frankencar and he said if i can get a few pics of the engine bay mainly in areas where a CAI would go and a few pics of the MAF setup he said he will look into making CAI for our cars so we dont have make em, jus buy a bolt on. email me with any pics u guys and girls can muster up and i will foward them to him. thanx in advance

~mike
Old 01-06-2003 | 08:11 AM

Engloid,
Since you work primarily on the Z31's, I would like to ask some questions that you may be more familiar with.

The ECU for the Z31, does it actually have a more aggressive programming curve? And, is is 100% swappable with the ECU in our cars, pin for pin, with no mods? Does it work with the sensors on our cars, as we know they are different from the Max to the Z31?

How about the MAF? Would it truely make much difference?

How about the exhaust? Doesn't the NA Z31 use the same type of crossover pipe, over the bell housing, to work as a y-pipe? Do you think there would be much gained from installing Z31 exhaust manifolds, and crossover pipe, to the engine, bolts to a custom downpipe and exhaust system?

Just looking for your thoughts, as you do deal with the Z31...
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:29 PM

They will be found on the VG30DET Engine stock - IF the engine ever existed, which it didn't
Yes it does. Here's a pic of the Vg30DET head and a VG30DETT head Notice that the DET head has much larger ports. It is also a single turbo and dohc engine. It was released in Japan, but can be imported for about $600-800.
Also, the cams, valves, lifters, and many other internal parts may be made with more stringent standards on the "T".
Nopie, in the z31 version of the vg30e and vg30et, the valves, cams, lifters, rods and crank are the same. Cranks, rods and pistons were different on some later models. 88-89 models had floating wrist pins which needed different rods. Here's a link to a page I put up recently about some vg30 stuff VG30 Tips
Originally posted by MaxWgn
The ECU for the Z31, does it actually have a more aggressive programming curve? And, is is 100% swappable with the ECU in our cars, pin for pin, with no mods? Does it work with the sensors on our cars, as we know they are different from the Max to the Z31?
I can't guarantee anything, but I would guess it is a better ecu. All the z31 ecu's are different. For example, if you have an 86 auto turbo, you pretty much have to find an ecu for that specific model and trans. I don't know if it will pop right into the Maxima either. All the z31's had different sensors and stuff. I dunno why Nissan changed the ecu's and sensors so much. I think the biggest difference is the O2 sensor types are different on a lot of them. I wish I could give you more precise info, but I don't want to make statements based on guesses.
How about the MAF? Would it truely make much difference?
Probably not. I wouldn't doubt they are the same, but not sure there either. If you are not having problems running lean then it couldn't help much if any. And if you are running lean and aren't pushing the hp limits then it's likely some other problem.
How about the exhaust? Doesn't the NA Z31 use the same type of crossover pipe, over the bell housing, to work as a y-pipe?
Yes, they do. This was primarily done for the single turbo...to get all the exhaust through it.
Do you think there would be much gained from installing Z31 exhaust manifolds, and crossover pipe, to the engine, bolts to a custom downpipe and exhaust system?
Nope...if anything, if I had a maxima, I'd go with headers and a 2.5" custom exhaust from a local shop. I got 2.5" on my Z with a Dynomax muffler installed for $146 tax and all.
Originally posted by GundamWZero
So, Engloid, If what you are saying is true (that both the VG30E and the VG30T blocks are the same)
Actually it's a vg30et and a vg30e, but yes, the blocks are identical. Pistons and rods vary. There were very small changes to the heads in 88-89 models, but don't worry about it...you will never know the difference unless I point it out to you.
all I would have to worry about is relocating the engine mounts,and probally change the exhaust, right?
Your engine mounts in your car will bolt up to the z31 block. Look at it like this...if you found part numbers to order the blocks, they'd likely be the same number (barring minor improvements you'd never know anyway)
Anyway, how does doing a swap like that effect gas mileage? Good , bad, or the same?
You'll notice more difference due to the fact that you won't want to keep your foot out of it than you would from the engine swap
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Engloid

Yes it does. Here's a pic of the Vg30DET head and a VG30DETT head Notice that the DET head has much larger ports. It is also a single turbo and dohc engine. It was released in Japan, but can be imported for about $600-800.

Nopie, in the z31 version of the vg30e and vg30et, the valves, cams, lifters, rods and crank are the same. Cranks, rods and pistons were different on some later models. 88-89 models had floating wrist pins which needed different rods. Here's a link to a page I put up recently about some vg30 stuff VG30 Tips

I can't guarantee anything, but I would guess it is a better ecu. All the z31 ecu's are different. For example, if you have an 86 auto turbo, you pretty much have to find an ecu for that specific model and trans. I don't know if it will pop right into the Maxima either. All the z31's had different sensors and stuff. I dunno why Nissan changed the ecu's and sensors so much. I think the biggest difference is the O2 sensor types are different on a lot of them. I wish I could give you more precise info, but I don't want to make statements based on guesses.

Probably not. I wouldn't doubt they are the same, but not sure there either. If you are not having problems running lean then it couldn't help much if any. And if you are running lean and aren't pushing the hp limits then it's likely some other problem.

Yes, they do. This was primarily done for the single turbo...to get all the exhaust through it.

Nope...if anything, if I had a maxima, I'd go with headers and a 2.5" custom exhaust from a local shop. I got 2.5" on my Z with a Dynomax muffler installed for $146 tax and all.

Actually it's a vg30et and a vg30e, but yes, the blocks are identical. Pistons and rods vary. There were very small changes to the heads in 88-89 models, but don't worry about it...you will never know the difference unless I point it out to you.

Your engine mounts in your car will bolt up to the z31 block. Look at it like this...if you found part numbers to order the blocks, they'd likely be the same number (barring minor improvements you'd never know anyway)

You'll notice more difference due to the fact that you won't want to keep your foot out of it than you would from the engine swap

So you should know where this question going to be...
Can I then swap the VG30E with the VG30ET without changing the ECU? or do just what you said eariler, go for the header, custom exhaust, and a C.A.I.?
Old 01-10-2003 | 02:28 AM

So you should know where this question going to be...
Can I then swap the VG30E with the VG30ET without changing the ECU? or do just what you said eariler, go for the header, custom exhaust, and a C.A.I.?
No, you will need the turbo ecu if you put in a turbo. I'd not let that stop you though. You can get the ecu for around $50 usually.

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about using the turbo engine WITH a turbo, right? cause I'd not advise using the turbo engine, and not putting the turbo on it, as you would then have the lower compression pistons, but no boost for the top end power. Pretty much the only difference in turbo and nonturbo engines is the pistons.
Old 01-10-2003 | 12:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Engloid

No, you will need the turbo ecu if you put in a turbo. I'd not let that stop you though. You can get the ecu for around $50 usually.

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about using the turbo engine WITH a turbo, right? cause I'd not advise using the turbo engine, and not putting the turbo on it, as you would then have the lower compression pistons, but no boost for the top end power. Pretty much the only difference in turbo and nonturbo engines is the pistons.

No, I want the turbo........ It'll be stupid to have a turboed engine without the turbo.
Old 01-10-2003 | 12:42 PM

No, I want the turbo........ It'll be stupid to have a turboed engine without the turbo.
I agree. Let me know if you need anything as far as parts or advice. I do a lot online and see many parts for sale.