1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

85 maxima (auto trans) For goodness sake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

85 maxima (auto trans) For goodness sake!!!

I took car to get trans rebuilt. He said he would do it for $950.
He broke down trans then called me and said there was a problem--that
the internal clutch and torque converter was to be replaced and would
cost me $1250. Since trans was already in pieces I could not refuse.
Told me to return in four days to pick up. Go to pick up and there
was still trouble after fixing so have to break back down again. Calls back next day and says there is water in transmission fluid. I
ask why didn't you find that initially--he could not explain. He said it was going to cost me more to replace either radiator or something in trans.(probably $300 or more dollars to fix, not for sure). He said he would call me and let me know.

After my car broke down, I checked the trans fluid. It did not look
abnormally low, high or discolored. Shouldn't that have been one of
the first things to check? Should I continue to let him raise the price on me. I know noone likes to pay repair prices but this is starting to get fishy. I don't know if he's straight up or not. I
gave him the opportunity to raise the price on him once, should I do
it again or let a judge decide? Please help!!!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, that's very f*cked up. What exactly did he agree to do for $950? If he called me up and told me that it was going to cost another $1250, I would have told him just to put the damn thing back together and that I would take my business elsewhere. I'm no mechanic, and I really don't know a whole lot about trannys, but I'm sure that by driving the car he should have been able to know what the problem was before hand. By ripping your whole transmission apart and already charging you $950, he really had you by the *****. It shouldn't have cost no more than $1500 for the whole job, maybe $2000 at the most.

Well, just find out what was included for $950. I would think that the internal clutch should have been included in that price. If he was just going to replace some seals for that price, then you got ripped. Also, the torque converter probably wouldn't have been included, but I wouldn't pay $1250 for that and a clutch. I'd seriously consider taking this matter to court, as well as getting some info from the BBB about this idiot.

-C-

Old 10-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Seem to look like a scam to me, too. He should have known that there was water in the transmission fluid when he broke the tranny down to work on it. I would, and I am just a Army mechanic. With water in any oil-based product, hydraulic fluid, under pressure due to hoses and fittings, tends to foam up during use. Then, air forms due to the bubbles water being in the system. Then, your tranny is royally f*cked up. He should have saw that first, not have you order a torque converter. He should have fixed your water in the hydraulic fluid first, then see if your torque converter, or any sub componets of your transmission have been damagde due to the water. Call your lawyer and have him pay a visit to your mechanic. He might just charge you for the damage the water caused (if he didn't put it there himself) and not the parts you didn't really need.