1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

First time questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First time questions

Hi all, I'm new to this board and I'm doing this for a friend who just bought a 88 Maxima and wants me to do some work on it because he's not mechanically inclined. Did 88 Maximas come WITHOUT A/C from the factory?? He wants to get rid of the A/C but the alternator gets driven by a belt from the a/c compressor.Is there a way to bypass that compressor and run the alternator right off the crank? He also wants me to fabricate a whole new intake but the AIC is an obstacle. I'd like to delete the AIC but don't know if it'll trigger any ECU codes or make it run in some limp-home mode (if that's possible on these cars). I'm not new to cars and fabrication but am new to the Maxima. Thanks for any input!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:53 PM
I love lamp.

Re: First time questions

Originally posted by zactek
Hi all, I'm new to this board and I'm doing this for a friend who just bought a 88 Maxima and wants me to do some work on it because he's not mechanically inclined. Did 88 Maximas come WITHOUT A/C from the factory?? He wants to get rid of the A/C but the alternator gets driven by a belt from the a/c compressor.Is there a way to bypass that compressor and run the alternator right off the crank? He also wants me to fabricate a whole new intake but the AIC is an obstacle. I'd like to delete the AIC but don't know if it'll trigger any ECU codes or make it run in some limp-home mode (if that's possible on these cars). I'm not new to cars and fabrication but am new to the Maxima. Thanks for any input!
Alright here's the first thing you do. Smack yourself upside the ****ing head with a post whoring ugly stick. Next read the sticky regarding posting threads.

Now to help. All Maxima's come standard with a factory A/C. You can remove the A/C unit, but you will have to find a belt for it's place. The one problem is you can't just simply remove the A/C and place a belt to the alternator because the belt's won't line up and you will run the risk of the belt jumping or wearing down prematurely. KALSC came up with a way to fix that on his 85 Maxima he turbo'd. He had to remove the A/C because it was in the way of all the piping for the turbo.

Now as for the intake, Mike (spacey64) is talking to someone at Frankencar or something about making a CAI for our cars. I dunno what state your from, but I would highly recommend you leave the AIV gear alone. If you remove this stuff, it will mess up your emissions. The ECU will probably start barking at you to top it off, since it may cause the car to run too lean or too rich.

S
Old 01-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

KALSC came up with a way to fix that on his 85 Maxima he turbo'd. He had to remove the A/C because it was in the way of all the piping for the turbo.

Now I don't want a turboed Maxima. If you have to sacrafice your A/C for the sake of having a turbo, it isn't worth it.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

KALSC came up with a way to fix that on his 85 Maxima he turbo'd. He had to remove the A/C because it was in the way of all the piping for the turbo.

Now I don't want a turboed Maxima. If you have to sacrafice your A/C for the sake of having a turbo, it isn't worth it.

Now you need to leave the kid alone, Sarin. Before you get hit with a postwhoring stick!
Old 01-05-2003, 04:38 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by GundamWZero

Now you need to leave the kid alone, Sarin. Before you get hit with a postwhoring stick!
Awwww, I really wanted to welcome him to the forum of hard knocks....er I mean 1st and 2nd Gen Maxima's!

S
Old 01-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply. We out here in NY don't give a crap about the emissions, just a good idle and not running too rich or having a "check engine light". As I understand it, the AIV brings in oxygen into the exhaust to help the cat work more efficiently. Since we got a newer high flow cat on the car, the tradeoff of removing the AIV beats not having a high flow intake. I was thinking along the lines of a metal tube with a cone filter going directly into the throttle body, bypassing all the turns and chambers in the stock one.I'd love to know how the a/c compressor got bypassed and where I can get some pics. Thanks. If you want a/c, open the windows and go faster! I'll take turbo over a/c anyday!
Old 01-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

first time questions

Sorry about posting the same post, I didn't notice it got posted until I looked on the board later. I tried to post three times and all 3 times I was told to try later, I wasn't aware all 3 times they ACTUALLY GOT posted. Maybe the administrator could delete the other reduntant ones. Thanks