1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

How-To's...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 06:35 AM

How-To's...

Hey guys, give me a list of things you would like to see how-to's for on doing to our cars...basic maintenance, etc...and I'll do my best to do a concise technicial write up. If I had a digital camera, I'd include pics, as well...I will then try and setup a small page - most likely on a free host - to host the PDF's, and so forth...

Let me know...
Old 01-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think that would be pretty tight. Id say go for it
Old 01-18-2003, 06:27 PM

Yeah go for it, personally I would like to see strut/shock replacements, and also brakes (pads,calipers,discs). I have a Haynes manual so I don't need that much info, but some tips would be nice, since someone here said that there are some unnecessary steps in that manual.

-Mike
Old 01-18-2003, 06:50 PM

Yeah, like "How to Remove a Stuck Camshaft Sprocket Without Drilling or Engine Removal".

I am getting my a.ss wipped trying to remove mines.....................
Old 01-18-2003, 11:40 PM

timing belt replacement, oil pressure sending unit replacement

Dan
--------
88 Maxima SE 5-speed, 176,000 miles and still alive and well
Old 01-19-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
timing belt replacement, oil pressure sending unit replacement

Dan
--------
88 Maxima SE 5-speed, 176,000 miles and still alive and well
to tell you the truth I have a book that has all thge repairs to keeping the max going. from radiator fluid changing to timing belt removal to fixing a flat, changing oil. Ill have to look to see what else it has. I was planning on making a website and link it from here so everyone can see it. Some of the links I provide here some places have some of those types of things provided. It would to be nice to have a central area for that info. Ill help if you need it.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:11 PM

How 2.

When and if spring gets here, I have a long list of projects I need to get done. e-mail me at lang407@juno.com to discuss what I have coming up and how you would like me to present material.
I think it's a great idea BTW.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:10 AM

wiring diagrams, sunroof replacement, I'm sure I can think of a few more in the near future.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
wiring diagrams, sunroof replacement, I'm sure I can think of a few more in the near future.
Wiring diagrams can be had in the Chilton's book, and are VERY extensive.

As for sunroof replacement, are you referring to just the glass, or the entire assembly?

Also, since the dash is slightly different between 86 & 87, would someone with a 86 like to document the disassembly of the dash for stereo installation?

Also, if any of you have expereience with any of these projects, and would like to assist me in the writing process, please let me know. You can write to me @ c0us1n_it@hotmail.com

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:33 AM
I love lamp.

Actually, the dash is the same for the 86-87 models. The only different dash is the 88 models when they changed the design ever so slightly. I would like to see a how to on how to replace the autostop on my sunroof. I'll probably have to replace all the mechanical parts to because the sunroof is becoming difficult to open also. It's nice when it makes that nice grinding noise....

S
Old 01-23-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
Actually, the dash is the same for the 86-87 models. The only different dash is the 88 models when they changed the design ever so slightly. I would like to see a how to on how to replace the autostop on my sunroof. I'll probably have to replace all the mechanical parts to because the sunroof is becoming difficult to open also. It's nice when it makes that nice grinding noise....

S
Well, if I can find out if the sedan model sunroof is compatible with the wagon, I have a motor assembly to install - i know the glass doesn't match, however.

If it does, I need to change mine, and I'll doc it, also. I will see about wiring in some kind of relay circuit to make it a one-touch system, also...and doc that, as well.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:07 AM

OK, so far, these are the ones I know I will be doing :

Front sway bar bushing replacement

Control Arm bushing replacement

Ball-joint replacement

CV Shaft replacement

Front & rear strut replacement (note, since I have a wagon, access to the top mount will be a little different)

Stereo install for 87+

Brake caliper rebuilds - front & rear.

Replacing / repacking wheel bearings - front & rear

Timing belt change - full w/ h2o pump, seals, etc...

Rack & Pinion replacement

P/S pump & hose replacement

Oil pan gasket replacement

Valve cover gasket replacement

Thing's I have planned or would like to do:

Install 240SX throttle body mod

HAI, CAI & RamAir induction systems and comparison...
*Won't be able to dyno the car - can't afford it, unless someone would be willing to make a donation for that project...

5-speed conversion (this is a long way off...)

Sunroof exchange

Anything else that I'm not thinking of?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I love lamp.

Sunroof motor replacement, auto-stop adjustments, and lubrication for the sunroof. Though this is tough because they had 2 different types of sunroofs. 85-86 (like mine) only had a slider, 87-88 got a a supposidely larger glass and a tilt feature. I think the rest is almost the same.

S
Old 01-24-2003, 03:01 PM

If the sunroof on my 88 is larger than yours it shouldnt be by much it is big though. Yeah the tilt is nice Im in envy over your one touch setup. My molding on the back of my sunroof is coming off on one end so I cant close it from either with out manuevering everything to go into place. So right now I just open the visor
Old 01-24-2003, 05:13 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by max88q
If the sunroof on my 88 is larger than yours it shouldnt be by much it is big though. Yeah the tilt is nice Im in envy over your one touch setup. My molding on the back of my sunroof is coming off on one end so I cant close it from either with out manuevering everything to go into place. So right now I just open the visor
Mine isn't one touch though...its just a standard slide. I was over at this guy name David's place. He has an 87 GXE, we took measurements of both of our sunroofs and they are the same. He has the tilt, where I don't. I'm wondering if I can swap all the stuff out. I think the SE's may of gotten a bigger sunroof in 87-88. Right now I just use the visor, my sunroof is getting to the point where its difficult to open or close. To top it off, the autostop doesn't work, so if I'm not paying attention, when I open or close the roof, I get this nice grinding noise. Oh well.

S
Old 01-24-2003, 06:02 PM

I had my sunroof blow off on I-5 last year. There is a differeence between the 86 and 87 models. Just getting the glass part of the sunroof will fit, but the mounting holes will not fit. Sarin, I wish I knew you then, you would have a better sunroof now. I bought a used sunroof, and used the glass and threw away the frame......

If you are still interested, let me know. I know where to get one.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:05 PM

Mine isn't one touch though...its just a standard slide. I was over at this guy name David's place. He has an 87 GXE, we took measurements of both of our sunroofs and they are the same. He has the tilt, where I don't. I'm wondering if I can swap all the stuff out. I think the SE's may of gotten a bigger sunroof in 87-88. Right now I just use the visor, my sunroof is getting to the point where its difficult to open or close. To top it off, the autostop doesn't work, so if I'm not paying attention, when I open or close the roof, I get this nice grinding noise. Oh well.

S

The hell with swapping! I want to combine both the tilt and slide features.............
Old 01-24-2003, 07:25 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by GundamWZero

The hell with swapping! I want to combine both the tilt and slide features.............
That's why I want to swap them. They have both slide and tilt. Problem is, the controls are different, so I would have swap that out too.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
I had my sunroof blow off on I-5 last year. There is a differeence between the 86 and 87 models. Just getting the glass part of the sunroof will fit, but the mounting holes will not fit. Sarin, I wish I knew you then, you would have a better sunroof now. I bought a used sunroof, and used the glass and threw away the frame......

If you are still interested, let me know. I know where to get one.
Mine did the same thing, on I85, IN NC, about 3 months after I bought the car. The glass panel just blew right out of the frame for it.

I then found out that the glass panel for the sedan is different than the wagon - the curvature of the rear of the panel is quite a bit off...allowing for some very serious leakage - more than the drain tubes can handle...
Old 03-01-2003, 10:20 PM
I love lamp.

S
maxwgn, did you get anywhere with those how-to's? BTW. As I mentioned with my mirrors, I found a fairly good condition 88 SE. I want to pull the entire sunroof assembly and do the swap, so I can get both the slide and tilt features.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:01 AM

I remember when I first got the car the lady told me if I got a visor to beware. Because when she was driving on the highway hers just flew off. Oh and I never noticed the difference of the 86s-87s dash. Whats so different?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:47 AM
I love lamp.

I remember when I first got the car the lady told me if I got a visor to beware. Because when she was driving on the highway hers just flew off. Oh and I never noticed the difference of the 86s-87s dash. Whats so different?
The 86-88 dash are definately different, I think they are still the same on most 87's. Anyway, the 88 has a different layout for the stereo, and the glove box is a little flatter...and a bit smaller. Also the center console thingy where the ebrake, shifter, and storage compartment are completely different. Other than that, the rest is the same.

S
Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 PM

The 86-88 dash are definately different, I think they are still the same on most 87's. Anyway, the 88 has a different layout for the stereo, and the glove box is a little flatter...and a bit smaller. Also the center console thingy where the ebrake, shifter, and storage compartment are completely different. Other than that, the rest is the same.

S
Oh yeah I know about the console and stereo units. I thought you meant the actual Dash speedo, tach that sort.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:59 PM
I love lamp.

Oh yeah I know about the console and stereo units. I thought you meant the actual Dash speedo, tach that sort.
Lay out is the same, the numbers for redline are red, where you guys have a little circular line indicating redline. As, I notice the 88 had needles that seem more orange than yellow.

S
Old 03-03-2003, 07:57 AM

maxwgn, did you get anywhere with those how-to's? BTW. As I mentioned with my mirrors, I found a fairly good condition 88 SE. I want to pull the entire sunroof assembly and do the swap, so I can get both the slide and tilt features.
Still working them out...I have another to add...

I'm working on the write up now for the rebuild process on the power steering pump. I just did that this weekend. Took over an hour to wrestle the damn thing out of the car, and about 15 minutes to rebuild. This pump is so simple, the only real part, other than the seals themselves that could go bad, is the shaft. Due to the design, it shouldn't ever need to be machined of honed...just cleaned out really well...

This was so simple, yet the local shops here want like $200 - $300 to rebuild it...and a rebuilt unit runs normally about $150 - $200...and for roughly $16, you can rebuild it yourself. If you have to replace the shaft, another $20-$30, at most.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:12 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Still working them out...I have another to add...

I'm working on the write up now for the rebuild process on the power steering pump. I just did that this weekend. Took over an hour to wrestle the damn thing out of the car, and about 15 minutes to rebuild. This pump is so simple, the only real part, other than the seals themselves that could go bad, is the shaft. Due to the design, it shouldn't ever need to be machined of honed...just cleaned out really well...

This was so simple, yet the local shops here want like $200 - $300 to rebuild it...and a rebuilt unit runs normally about $150 - $200...and for roughly $16, you can rebuild it yourself. If you have to replace the shaft, another $20-$30, at most.
During that did you replace the lines? I think both my power steering pump and one of the lines where it connects into the rack is leaking. Though the leak has slowed down, I'd like to get it fixed.

S
Old 03-03-2003, 03:34 PM

During that did you replace the lines? I think both my power steering pump and one of the lines where it connects into the rack is leaking. Though the leak has slowed down, I'd like to get it fixed.

S
Yes, I'm replacing all of the lines, as well...

the entire P/S system will be new or rebuilt when I'm done...

One thing of curiosity, though. When I looked up the exploded pump diagrams, the diagrams for the 89+ pump are what fit my pump...and the really funny part is the pumps are exactl;y the same part #, etc...between wagon and sedan, but the rebuild kits are different...I used a sedan kit, as the wagon kits were all listed as out of stock, and couldn't be ordered...
Old 03-03-2003, 03:45 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Yes, I'm replacing all of the lines, as well...

the entire P/S system will be new or rebuilt when I'm done...

One thing of curiosity, though. When I looked up the exploded pump diagrams, the diagrams for the 89+ pump are what fit my pump...and the really funny part is the pumps are exactl;y the same part #, etc...between wagon and sedan, but the rebuild kits are different...I used a sedan kit, as the wagon kits were all listed as out of stock, and couldn't be ordered...
Thats pretty wierd....I think because its a station wagon, most parts dealers like to make you think its a different thing.

S
Old 03-03-2003, 06:45 PM

Thats pretty wierd....I think because its a station wagon, most parts dealers like to make you think its a different thing.

S
Tell me about it...as for the issue with the pump...I'm wondering if one of the previous owners installed a later model pump...as they are shown to interchange...

Oh, and my biggest problme getting the pump out was fighting with the pressure line attached to it. I could not get the proper leverage from above or below, so I had to remove the pump from the bracket, and pull it up, toward the top of the engine, where I could get at it better...then it was a matter of breaking the fluid-bolt for the line free, without much to hold the pump steady...

these were easy enough to rebuild, I'd offer the service people for $60 plus shipping and handling...this would cover the cost if the shaft was bent...but it'd be a b1tch in shipping everything around...they weigh about 5-7 lbs, being the outer casing is all cast iron...