1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Keyless Entry

I have a question, My girlfriend drives a maxima i think it is an 88 model, i was made Late 87. but her car has the numbers on the door for keyless entry. But when she bought the car no-one gave her the code to open the doors , i was wondering if there is any way to reset it and put in your own code, or a way to get the original code from off the car somehow. if any of you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreaciated. thanks alot.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:53 AM
Charles Bisel

Use the SEARCH function. I've answered that question at least a dozen times on this board already.

-C-

Old 01-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You know i found out where you told to do it, i went out side and tried it, i found the thing in the trunk, and did it as you said, it made the long beep, but then i enter a four digit code and nothing, do i have to enter something after i put the new 4 digit code??? and since there are 2 numbers on each button like 1/2 how would i use the 2 instead of the one??? thanks
Old 01-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Charles Bisel

You have to enter the code while the thing is making the long continuous beep. Enter the 4 to 7 digit code that you want while it's making the long, continuous sound, and then take your hands off of it. If you entered a valid code it should beep a few times in quick succession.

The following types of codes are not allowed:
  • Any number where all digits are on the same button.
    Ex: 1-2-1-2, 3-3-4-4
  • Any number required sequential operation of the button.
    Ex: 1-3-5-7, 7-5-3-1
  • Any number with 3 or fewer digits.
  • Any number with 8 or more digits.

How to use your personal code:
In order to unlock the doors with you new code, you first have to hit the ST/CL button. Then enter the code and the driver's door will unlock. If you want the rest of the doors to unlock, hit the OPN button which is on the 7/8 key. If you want the trunk to open, hit the TRK button which is on the 1/2 key. You have to press the OPN and TRK buttons immediately after you enter the code, otherwise they won't open and you'll have to re-enter the code.

As you mentioned, each key as two numbers on it. This is just for your own benefit, just in case you want to use the year you were born or some other way to remember the code. In principle, it makes no difference to the car's computer, a 1 or 2 is treated as one button. Thus, the code 1-4-7-9 is the same as 2-3-8-0. You can make 16 possible codes out of one four digit code.

-C-

Old 01-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks alot man, i really apreaciate it, i did it and it worked, It will not open the trunk but i can live without that, it worked for everything like opening all the doors but it would not pop the trunk, i think a cable is diconnected, o-well but thanks again you were very helpfull
Old 01-20-2003, 10:02 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Yacko69
Thanks alot man, i really apreaciate it, i did it and it worked, It will not open the trunk but i can live without that, it worked for everything like opening all the doors but it would not pop the trunk, i think a cable is diconnected, o-well but thanks again you were very helpfull
Damn you GXE owners and your blasted Keyless entry! hehe
I was gonna ask, does the switch on the dash work? As long as that works, you should be alright.

S
Old 01-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How did you know it was a GXE??? and are GXE any good, are they the highest ones?? and to answer ur question, no the one on the dash stopped working i dunno why it stopped working either
Old 01-20-2003, 11:11 PM

Lucky!

If both buttons don't work for the trunk, it could be the mechanism itself. It shouldn't be that hard to remove the plastic trim in the back and see if anything is obviously loose or disconnected.

Fuses would be another option.

You're lucky with the keyless entry though. Everything works on my car except that. I'd love to reprogram the code, but the keypad on the passenger side doesn't work, and the driver's side has one key that apparently doesn't work. Quite frustrating. I'm planning to check the connections on the passenger keypad and possibly replace both.

Good luck with the trunk-release. Hopefully it's a simple problem. Could even be a burnt out motor in the back (actuator?)..
Old 01-21-2003, 01:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

whats funny is that my car has 170k miles and i am suprised that anything even works, lol i just recently replaced the air conditioning compressor cause it went out so now everythin except the trunk release and the drivers side automatic seat belt, and i know that all that is, is that the wire fell off, so that will be easy, i have just been lagging, i was going to sell the car, but then realized that no-one would buy it with 170k miles on it, even thought there is no scrathes in the paint and no fade or tear in the leather, other than the miles the car is basicly brand new, lol. i was also thinking about tearing out the engine and placing it in my honda, lol.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:32 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Yacko69
i was also thinking about tearing out the engine and placing it in my honda, lol.
My god man! what kinda sad sicko are you! Why degrade such a good motor! hehehe j/k.

The GXE was the top line for the time, but the SE is more fun!

S
Old 01-21-2003, 03:38 PM

Altough the keyless entry is a big a** ugly pad, it will serve me good if I ever lock my keys in the car.