1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

No clutch peddle effort

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:56 AM

No clutch peddle effort

Please forgive me, I tried the search button but it keeps saying unable to find what im looking for.

OK. I have a 86 maxima, The clutch peddle goes to the floor with no effort, I have replaced the master cylinder and checked the lines I have no leaks. I went to the front of the transmission and pressed the Clutch release cylinder with my hand and heard the fluid move in the master cylinder. So im not sure whats going on. My Hayne manual doesnt say so, but can someone tell me if the gear oil has anything to do with the pressure in the clutch peddle??
Old 01-27-2003, 12:02 PM

Hmmmm . . .

Well, if you can HEAR the fluid moving, chances are you have air in the system. If there is any or enough air in the system, the pedal will go to the floor with minimal/no effort and the slave will not push out to swich the clutch fork.

That being said, have tried to properly bleed the clutch fluid?
Old 01-27-2003, 01:38 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Hmmmm . . .

Originally posted by KALSC
Well, if you can HEAR the fluid moving, chances are you have air in the system. If there is any or enough air in the system, the pedal will go to the floor with minimal/no effort and the slave will not push out to swich the clutch fork.

That being said, have tried to properly bleed the clutch fluid?
Also, did you check your slave cylinder, those go bad too. They usually develop small leaks. Also as KALSC said, double checked you bleeded the system properly. Also when you installed the master cylinder, did you remember to bench bleed that too?

-S
Old 01-27-2003, 01:45 PM

Good point.

Good point about the slave going bad, that happened to me too, in traffic!!!! The diaphram in the slave got a tear in it and fluid went through the tear instead of pushing the pin! This happned while in traffic too!!! Good thing I was able to pull off and limp to my father-in-laws gargage where I rebult the slave with a kit. It was a cheap fix, all in all the rebuild kit was $7 CDN.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:03 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Good point.

Good point about the slave going bad, that happened to me too, in traffic!!!! The diaphram in the slave got a tear in it and fluid went through the tear instead of pushing the pin! This happned while in traffic too!!! Good thing I was able to pull off and limp to my father-in-laws gargage where I rebult the slave with a kit. It was a cheap fix, all in all the rebuild kit was $7 CDN.
Definately. When I had my transmission changed, the guy found that the old slave cylinder was leaking, though not a lot, it was leaking. These things probably see more use than your brakes do because of all the shifting. Just beware, the slave cylinder is a PITA to get out because it's right under the front exhaust manifold.

S
Old 01-27-2003, 08:03 PM

Re: Re: Good point.

Originally posted by maximase86

Just beware, the slave cylinder is a PITA to get out because it's right under the front exhaust manifold.

S
What does PITA mean?

I find It hard to bleed because I have No pressure when stepping on the peddle, Is there another way I can do this??
Old 01-27-2003, 08:10 PM

:-)

PITA - Pain In The A$$.

Put it this way, is you open the bleed valve on the slave and then press the pedal, does any fluid come out? Does it spit a little? (air bubbles)? Or absolutely nothing?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:18 PM

PITA - Pain In The A$$.

Put it this way, is you open the bleed valve on the slave and then press the pedal, does any fluid come out? Does it spit a little? (air bubbles)? Or absolutely nothing?
Nope I didnt open the bleed valve, I did remove the slave though and disconnected the line and fluid came out when I pressed the peddle. Fluid is also seen rising in the reservuor(or how ever you spell it)when I press the slave in. is the cylinder suppose to move left or right when you press the peddle
Old 01-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by MrSmith

Nope I didnt open the bleed valve, I did remove the slave though and disconnected the line and fluid came out when I pressed the peddle. Fluid is also seen rising in the reservuor(or how ever you spell it)when I press the slave in. is the cylinder suppose to move left or right when you press the peddle
Right.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:54 PM

Thats confusing to me, When I try and push the cylinder to the right with my hand It doesnt move, but will move to the left. I suppose that when the peddle is pressed, the boll joint pushes against the cylinder causing me to be able to select gears. AAAHHHH, I dont know
Old 02-03-2003, 11:15 PM

Had to get another dang clutch master cylinder. Bleed it and its top notch now