1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

YET ANOTHER QUESTION: When I went to start my 88' Maxima this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 09:01 AM

YET ANOTHER QUESTION: When I went to start my 88' Maxima this morning...

all it would do was give loud, rapidly repeating clicking noises.

Now, I put a new battery in it 2 weeks ago, so I don't think that is the problem.

Has any of you experienced this or a similar problem.

Thanks...
Old 02-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Charles Bisel

It's probably your starter.

-C-

Old 02-17-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
It's probably your starter.

-C-
Or it could be that your alternator is not charging the battery back up.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:49 PM

Or, you could have a parasitic drain that is discharging the battery overnight. If you can jump start it in the morning, and it cranks over normally, it's probably not the starter. Check both battery cables at both ends for security and lack of corrosion. Check your alternator belt and make sure it's tight enough. Put a volt meter on the battery while the engine is running and you should read about 13.5 - 14.5 volts. If it all checks out okay, and it seems to be charging, try disconnecting your negative battery cable after you finish driving for the day. Reconnect it the next morning and see if it held a charge overnight. If it did, you may need to look for something that's draining the battery.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pkfinn
Or, you could have a parasitic drain that is discharging the battery overnight. If you can jump start it in the morning, and it cranks over normally, it's probably not the starter. Check both battery cables at both ends for security and lack of corrosion. Check your alternator belt and make sure it's tight enough. Put a volt meter on the battery while the engine is running and you should read about 13.5 - 14.5 volts. If it all checks out okay, and it seems to be charging, try disconnecting your negative battery cable after you finish driving for the day. Reconnect it the next morning and see if it held a charge overnight. If it did, you may need to look for something that's draining the battery.
Basically what they said check the battery first though. Mine did that and My battery was a gonner. The weirdest thing was I just had it cranked up like 2 minutes before that but turned it off because I forgot something. Came back wouldnt start or jump. Then check the voltage of the alternator to see if thats in good status then the next your starter.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:42 PM

Basically what they said check the battery first though. Mine did that and Mine battery was a gonner. The weirdest thing was I just had it cranked up like 2 minutes before that but turned it off because I forgot something. Came back wouldnt start or jump. Then check the voltage of the alternator to see if thats in good status then the next your starter.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:29 PM

Yep.

As was said, don't immediately assume it's one component or the other and replace them, make sure you know what the problem is.

I have the same car, and the alternator, starter, and battery are all new. The alternator charges fine, and the starter works great.

I however do have a parasitic drain problem that is driving me buggy. It's really small, and mostly affects me if I leave the car parked for a while, as a result I disconnect the negative battery cable whenever I am at home, untill I find the problem that is).

One thing I've noticed. If I put one probe from a voltmeter on the negative post of the battery and the other on the ground cable with said cable disconnected I get a reading of 12.78 Vdc. This tells me that there is a Hot + wire grounded to the car somewhere. Only problem is that the current draw is only 21 milliamperes, and isn't affected by any fuses so I have to check all wiring before the fuses instead.

The starter makes a clicking noise when the battery isn't powerfull enough to turn it over in some circumstances, I wouldn't take that to necessarily mean you need a new starter though since mine is new and does it too.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Charles Bisel

Also check your ignition components, such as the distributor, wires, and spark plugs. If one or more of those are bad, then your going to have a hell of a time trying to start it up when it's cold, and if you do get it started it up, it'll run like sh*t till the engine warms up and its easier for the engine to ignite the air/fuel mixture. The inside of the car as well as the exhaust will probably reek of gasoline due to the fact that most of it isn't getting burnt because there isn't a complete combustion.

-C-

Old 02-18-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Also check your ignition components, such as the distributor, wires, and spark plugs. If one or more of those are bad, then your going to have a hell of a time trying to start it up when it's cold, and if you do get it started it up, it'll run like sh*t till the engine warms up and its easier for the engine to ignite the air/fuel mixture. The inside of the car as well as the exhaust will probably reek of gasoline due to the fact that most of it isn't getting burnt because there isn't a complete combustion.

-C-
Very true, -C-...

Also, after checking / replacing the cap/rotor plugs, &/or wires, if a rough idle, or rich, gassy smell and smoke persist, check for broken vacuum lines. When giving my wagon a tune up this weekend, I discovered a broken vacuum hose leading to my EGR valve. Even after running through everything, it was still running very rich, and the exhaust and interior smelled of gas a lot of the time.

I saw this hose, replaced it, and the smoke and gas smell has since gone away...always remember, it can always be something this simple...(but a vacuum hose shouldn't prevent you from starting...)

Just my two bits...
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 AM

Thanks for all the input, guys.

The wrecker hauled it away this morning, and I'm hoping to hear an estimate of the problems this afternoon.

I'm not much good at car repair past oil changes and general maintenance. When I bought the car, I was sure that there would be many minor repairs to follow, since most of the parts and componants were original with 130,000 miles on them.

I was able to change the Air Regulator myself, and it seemed to make a big difference...just before it cut off. One note: If you plan to replace your Air Regulator, go ahead and buy the L shaped air hose.

Oh well, I'll let ya'll know what the problems are.

Thanks...
Old 02-18-2003, 02:52 PM
rcy

Be careful with the jump start diagnosis. My '88 would start fine first thing in the morning (well not exactly fine - it would turn over slower than normal) and I was blaming it on the cold weather. However, after driving for about 30mins at highway speed, then shutting the car off and immediately trying to start it again, it would barely turn over - definitely not enough power to start the car. When I boosted it right away (or let it sit for hours), it would turn over like normal and start fine. Had the battery tested twice and it was fine. Finally, a burning kind of electric smell after boosting confirmed my suspicion that the starter was FUBAR. I guess the brushes were old/worn and my battery alone wasn't enough to turn the starter, but when boosted with another car there was enough power. Anyhow, I threw in a new starter and BINGO, she runs like a charm. BTW, replacing the starters in our generation is way easier than in future generations.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:00 PM

starter is by far the easiest thing u can do all by ur self with this car, and if u skinny u dont even need to jack it up...lol im doin mine in a week...but time no more starter screams....screeeeccchhh, screeeeeccch,, vrooooom.. thats once ever other day thing
i think i may have ta have my fly wheen replaced soon also...that will come too..

~mike
Old 02-19-2003, 02:10 PM
rcy

Originally posted by spacey64
starter is by far the easiest thing u can do all by ur self with this car, and if u skinny u dont even need to jack it up...lol im doin mine in a week...but time no more starter screams....screeeeccchhh, screeeeeccch,, vrooooom.. thats once ever other day thing
i think i may have ta have my fly wheen replaced soon also...that will come too..

~mike
Haha...yes, it's a sad state of affairs when it's easier to change the starters on our cars than it is to change the freakin' oil filter.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:40 PM

yeah I think I'll need a new starter very soon, sometimes, especially when the battery gets a full charge, I turn the key and all I hear is a winding - like a fan - not the standard "click click" which leads me to believe the starter motor turns but the plunger isn't pushing the gear to the flywheel to crank the engine. usually I try it a few seconds later and it works fine. it might even be something I can fix myself.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:31 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
yeah I think I'll need a new starter very soon, sometimes, especially when the battery gets a full charge, I turn the key and all I hear is a winding - like a fan - not the standard "click click" which leads me to believe the starter motor turns but the plunger isn't pushing the gear to the flywheel to crank the engine. usually I try it a few seconds later and it works fine. it might even be something I can fix myself.
Sounds like you got a bad starter solenoid. That is what essential engages the starter to the motor. If that's gone, its no go.

S
Old 02-21-2003, 12:20 PM

It is the starter. The solenoid is gone, ghost, ka-put. Bought the farm, visiting Davey Jones locker, deep sixed. Bury it.........