1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 02:52 PM

thermostat?

before I go buying new parts I'd like to make sure I have the problem isolated. According to the Haynes manual I need a new thermostat.

When the car runs, the temperature gauge doesn't really move that far above 'C'(never more than 1/4 of the way), even after a few hours of running. also, the heater output isn't very hot, it's faintly warm at best, at the highest temp setting. the manual details the replacement of the thermostat, at the end of the upper radiator hose, which looks and sounds simple enough. but are there any hidden tricks to doing it? (example, the manual gives details on changing the oil, which is easy on ANY other car, and can be done in 15 minutes with one person.. but they don't say the filter's damn near impossible to remove with these maximas, unless you're doing it exactly right, with 2 people....)

Dan
----------------
1988 Nissan Maxima SE:
SHIFT_immortality
SHIFT_eternity
Old 02-19-2003, 04:38 PM
I love lamp.

Re: thermostat?

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
before I go buying new parts I'd like to make sure I have the problem isolated. According to the Haynes manual I need a new thermostat.

When the car runs, the temperature gauge doesn't really move that far above 'C'(never more than 1/4 of the way), even after a few hours of running. also, the heater output isn't very hot, it's faintly warm at best, at the highest temp setting. the manual details the replacement of the thermostat, at the end of the upper radiator hose, which looks and sounds simple enough. but are there any hidden tricks to doing it? (example, the manual gives details on changing the oil, which is easy on ANY other car, and can be done in 15 minutes with one person.. but they don't say the filter's damn near impossible to remove with these maximas, unless you're doing it exactly right, with 2 people....)

Dan
----------------
1988 Nissan Maxima SE:
SHIFT_immortality
SHIFT_eternity
There should be a couple things you should do while your at it. First is obviously change the thermostat. It could be stuck open, which can cause the overcooling issue your having. 2nd, flush the entire system thoroughly. You could have some blockage in the heater core causing loss of efficiency from your heater. 3rd check your radiator hoses. Make sure they are still in decent shape. 4th, pressure test the system. 5th inspect the water pump. As for the thermostat, it's in a very nice place, so plan on a bit of time to work on it. You will have to drain the radiator, and the block to do it. The haynes manual will tell you how to do that. When you do remove it, be sure to clean the mating surface really good, and put a fresh gasket in. Hopefully that should fix your issue. Let us know how it goes.

Sarin