1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Cams...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:45 AM

Cams...

I just thought I would pass this along. I was just surfing the other day, and I was checking out sites that are supposed to have performance cams for our engines. Out of all of the companies that used to produce them, none listed our engines. JWT doesn't list our year model, but start at 89 model VG30's now. Isky, Comp Cams, Web Cams, etc...only show cams for the L series engines now. Therefore, if this is actually the case, we now seem to be stuck either buying cam blanks and having a machine shop grind them for us, or buying from Nismo...@ the Nissan dealerships.

This also means the prices are likely to skyrocket.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since youve just told us this the prices just skyrocketed. Ill still leave the ISKY link up if people want to question them about making some from scratch.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:37 PM

It isn't listed but they do make them. Checkout Motorsport auto they sell 3 different cam grinds for the Z31 300zx. Since the cams are the same in both engines you can just get those. JWT VG30E cams will fit in any 84-99 VG30E or VG33E. I'd recommend getting a spare set of heads too. To install cams you have to either raise the engine about 1ft or pull the heads. Pulling the heads allow you to replace any old O-rings in the coolant hoses and clean out the IM. Plus I've seen gains of 15-35whp from cams and some port/valve work.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
It isn't listed but they do make them. Checkout Motorsport auto they sell 3 different cam grinds for the Z31 300zx. Since the cams are the same in both engines you can just get those. JWT VG30E cams will fit in any 84-99 VG30E or VG33E. I'd recommend getting a spare set of heads too. To install cams you have to either raise the engine about 1ft or pull the heads. Pulling the heads allow you to replace any old O-rings in the coolant hoses and clean out the IM. Plus I've seen gains of 15-35whp from cams and some port/valve work.
Hey, Nismo, long time to see...hehe...

I found the cams at Motorsport auto. The one question I have is, although their prices seem reasonable, is that for one cam, or both?

And if I get cams installed, I'll have the entire engine out for a complete teardown and rebuild...slight over bore, and mild port work...nothing too wild...and a nice, mild cam grind, just to allow some better breathing...and upperend...
Old 02-27-2003, 06:16 PM

Dood if your going to freshen up a motor don't waste time with a VG30E. Get the VG33E and do the work to it instead. The price for the cams are for the set (left and right cams). www.car-part.com get the VG33E, have some port/valve work done. Install your VG30 intake collector and you could probably get Engloid to modify the plenum for more toppend power. Not to mention when you are finished you might be able to sell the old motor since it is still intacted to recoup some of the cost.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Hey, Nismo, long time to see...hehe...

I found the cams at Motorsport auto. The one question I have is, although their prices seem reasonable, is that for one cam, or both?

And if I get cams installed, I'll have the entire engine out for a complete teardown and rebuild...slight over bore, and mild port work...nothing too wild...and a nice, mild cam grind, just to allow some better breathing...and upperend...
Old 02-28-2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Dood if your going to freshen up a motor don't waste time with a VG30E. Get the VG33E and do the work to it instead. The price for the cams are for the set (left and right cams). www.car-part.com get the VG33E, have some port/valve work done. Install your VG30 intake collector and you could probably get Engloid to modify the plenum for more toppend power. Not to mention when you are finished you might be able to sell the old motor since it is still intacted to recoup some of the cost.

Is the block the exact same on the VG33? I haven't seen one around, to compare. Since it is based on the VG block standard, though, I know the swap should be somewaht simple, as far as little to no fabrication...
Old 02-28-2003, 03:39 PM

I believe the intake manifold gaskets are the same for the VG30 and VG33 but you can double check the part #s at the local dealer. I know the exhaust manifold gaskets are the same. If the IM gaskets are the same then all you have to do is swap over your old IM. Also install a 60mm TB from a 89+ 240sx or nissan stanza. To be honest I'd just get a VG33 and throw on some cams + headwork, while not touching the pistons or anything on the bottom end.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Is the block the exact same on the VG33? I haven't seen one around, to compare. Since it is based on the VG block standard, though, I know the swap should be somewaht simple, as far as little to no fabrication...