1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Gen. 1 rear repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 05:24 PM

Gen. 1 rear repairs

Ok..... Im soon to embark on replacing driver rear A arm, and spindle. Mine got snookerd by another car. Well... this happend before I bought it which is why I got it fairly cheap ($300).

Any hints on removing and replaicing A arm and spindle with the used one I got shipped to me?

Will also need to drain fuel tank (diesel) any hints...... how hard is it to drop tank?
Old 03-01-2003, 08:34 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Gen. 1 rear repairs

You should probably invest in a Haynes/Chilton/Factory Service Manual, this would probably have the information you need.

S
Old 03-01-2003, 08:51 PM

Re: Re: Gen. 1 rear repairs

Originally posted by maximase86
You should probably invest in a Haynes/Chilton/Factory Service Manual, this would probably have the information you need.

S
thats funny... every car I have ever owned no one has ever given much credit to chilton etc. manuels... and god forbid... to call one a FACTORY SERV. MANUEL.. what a sin har har har. Or are these "factory Serv. Manuels" something different than the ones u bought from the local auto parts store?

Anyway... I have one, Chilton actually.... but seeing some comments from some real experiences seems to sink into my head better than the manuels do.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Gen. 1 rear repairs

Originally posted by coachgeo

thats funny... every car I have ever owned no one has ever given much credit to chilton etc. manuels... and god forbid... to call one a FACTORY SERV. MANUEL.. what a sin har har har. Or are these "factory Serv. Manuels" something different than the ones u bought from the local auto parts store?

Anyway... I have one, Chilton actually.... but seeing some comments from some real experiences seems to sink into my head better than the manuels do.
In my experience with both manuals (Haynes & chilton), they are both almost indespesible, as both cover information, or have details the other omits.

The Factory Service Manual is exactly that - is the the official Nissan printer service manual that was intended for the dealership repair garage. It has much more information than either or the other two.

BTW, just for you trivia guys, both the Haynes & Chilto0n books are written and published by the same people. Haynes bought out Chilton.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:01 AM

Re: Re: Gen. 1 rear repairs

Originally posted by maximase86

S
My bad.... I now see I read the above wrong. I read it as

..invest in either the Haynes's or Chilton's Factory Serv. Manuel...

That version sounded funny to me cause I knew neither Haynes' nor Chilton's manuel came even close to being worthy of the name "Factory Service Manuel" I would love to have a Nissan Factory Serv. Manuel. I have one for my Jeep and Unimog

Anywhose...... back to the orginal question. Anyone got real world experiene on the pulling and replacing of A arm on the driver rear. The Chilton manuel does not say much though it looks pretty straight forward. How much presoak of nuts etc. should I suspect I need to do? What else should I do while I'm in there? (82 diesel Maxima)

Simular questions about cleaning of fuel tank?

Thanks in advance
George
Old 03-04-2003, 08:39 AM

Sorry, that's one thing I have not done to a Z or my Maxima.
there is currently a 1984 Nissan Factory Service Manual on eBay for 0.99! Buy it up! That is very cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34229

Same guy has a glovebox user's manual for a few bucks. That's just for collectability. I think I have one already.

As for the other manuals, Chiltons seems to be the worst and least descriptive. They usually try to combine models together. Like they'll have 1977-86 810/Maxima/Sentra/200SX all in one book. The Haynes will just cover more related vehicles like 1977-84 810/Maxima and then another book for the 1985-88 Maxima.

I bought a Factory Nissan Manual for my 84 Maxima for I think $5 from eBay a while back. My FSM manual for my 1982 280zx ran me about $80 on eBay. its all about supply and demand.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:11 AM
I love lamp.

Both the Chilton and Haynes Manual I have covers the Maxima from 85-92.

S
Old 03-04-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Bleach
...there is currently a 1984 Nissan Factory Service Manual on eBay for 0.99! Buy it up! That is very cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34229

....snip As for the other manuals, Chiltons seems to be the worst and least descriptive. They usually try to combine models together. Like they'll have 1977-86 810/Maxima/Sentra/200SX all in one book....
Thanks for the tip on the ebay FSM. I emailed him to see if it covers the diesel too. Mine is an 82 diesel(early early Gen. One) so I dont know how well the 84 FSM will treat me.

Yeah my chilton is a multi car manuel. I too bought it from Ebay. I have not seen anything but Chilton on Ebay for the Ratsun.

thanks again
Old 03-04-2003, 09:21 PM

Cleaning fuel tank...

After it's out and drained, of course, the advice I was given by a guy in the UK (TSSC member) is to use phosphoric acid. Supposedly it chemically alters any rust present.Use appropriate PPE, hands and eyes for sure. I haven't been able to try it yet as it's too friggin' cold in the shed and the wife won't let me do such things in the basement