1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Motor Mounts Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 12:34 PM

Motor Mounts Bad

Took my Dads 87 with 63k Miles into the shop for some exhaust and power steering work and they found the motor mounts to be bad. The motor is sagging back toward the exhaust. It was hard to tell if there any extra vibration during my drive to the shop, since the muffler and the power steering pump were both shot and making the car vibrate. Do mounts a typically go bad in these cars? If so, what other symptoms would I get: vibration, clunk when engaging a gear?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2003, 12:47 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Motor Mounts Bad

Originally posted by Edge
Took my Dads 87 with 63k Miles into the shop for some exhaust and power steering work and they found the motor mounts to be bad. The motor is sagging back toward the exhaust. It was hard to tell if there any extra vibration during my drive to the shop, since the muffler and the power steering pump were both shot and making the car vibrate. Do mounts a typically go bad in these cars? If so, what other symptoms would I get: vibration, clunk when engaging a gear?

Thanks
Well, the rear mount is hard to tell, except from the motor sitting closer to the firewall. When the mount gets worse, you will notice incredible vibration from the motor. I just replaced mine with 185k on it. I need to do my front mount now. The motor will literally crawl a few inches out of the engine bay. At this age, engine mounts probably need replacing. Especially since they are made out of rubber...that does tend to deteriorate. I still need to find a front engine mount for my car though.

S
Old 03-06-2003, 03:07 PM

I think your right about the mounts deteriorating with age. I've told the shop to go ahead, but asked to see the old mount. By the way, what did you pay for your rear mount?
Old 03-06-2003, 04:10 PM

You can fix the rear and all other engine mounts for $20. Do a search on "home made motor mounts or urethane engine mounts" and you'll find a link that has all the info.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:24 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
You can fix the rear and all other engine mounts for $20. Do a search on "home made motor mounts or urethane engine mounts" and you'll find a link that has all the info.
Since I have the 5-speed..my mounts are slightly different, but for the rear mount alone...I paid $135 for the mount...labor was about $60 bucks. I'm going to buy the next one and have a couple of friends help me replace it. Seems pretty easy to get to, just need to have all the tools.

S
Old 03-07-2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Nismo,
I've done the searches, but hadn't seen the method for that pillow-like hydraulic mount. How would you fix that one with poly?
Old 03-07-2003, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+motor+mounts\

Here it is for poly motor mounts
Old 03-07-2003, 08:49 AM

I didn't know our cars had hydraulic mounts . The only one that needs to be bought new is the front engine mount. However the rear engine and both transmission mounts can be filled with the poly urethane mix. Also when I filled my mounts, I couldn't feel the engine at idle . If it wasn't for the exhaust I would have hit the starter when the engine was already idling . The only bad thing is that you should let the mounts cure for at least 1 day. For example if you pulled the mounts friday afternoon, they should be ready to go sunday morning. Also you can try 3M window weld from NAPA, it isn't as strong as poly urethane but it is better than nothing. Plus it cures alot faster and restore the mount to OEM like. Where as the urethane makes the mounts stiffer.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Nismo,
I've done the searches, but hadn't seen the method for that pillow-like hydraulic mount. How would you fix that one with poly?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:23 AM

That's what I'm going to try. That front mount is the hydraulic one. If only there was a way to fill that badboy, or just replace it with a solid casting from a mold...

The 3M Window Weld is actually a Urethane product, but you're right, it's not quite as stiff...that would work fine for me. They don't need to be super rigid, and that Urethane should out last the original cr@ppy rubber.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:38 AM

That's what I'm going to try. That front mount is the hydraulic one. If only there was a way to fill that badboy, or just replace it with a solid casting from a mold...

The 3M Window Weld is actually a Urethane product, but you're right, it's not quite as stiff...that would work fine for me. They don't need to be super rigid, and that Urethane should out last the original cr@ppy rubber.

I just thought of a possible solution for that front mount. However, to test it, I'll need a spare unit. Does anyone have an old one laying around they could donate? If so, and it works, I'll fill my old one, and send it back to you, no charge, in exchange for helping out with this project?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:47 AM
I love lamp.

I just thought of a possible solution for that front mount. However, to test it, I'll need a spare unit. Does anyone have an old one laying around they could donate? If so, and it works, I'll fill my old one, and send it back to you, no charge, in exchange for helping out with this project?
Just to make a quick note...all 5-speed SE's do not have the hydraulic mount, they have a different mount to better handle the torque made from engaging the transmission.

S
Old 03-07-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by maximase86

Just to make a quick note...all 5-speed SE's do not have the hydraulic mount, they have a different mount to better handle the torque made from engaging the transmission.

S
True to form...thank you...
Old 03-08-2003, 06:46 AM

Z31 type 300ZX cars have motor mounts that will substitute for the Maxima front mount. They seem more durable than the stock front mount of Maximas. Either side will do as long as it is not cracked. The Passenger side mount is less likely to be broken in a Z31 of its two mounts. The rear mount can be reinforced by putting rubber wedges in the openings. Whittle them to shape and push them in. Use rubber wedge type doorstops. Tap them in with a hammer. They'll stay. Fast standing starts break motor mounts. Age, oil, and heat deteriorates them. Almost every junkyard Maxima I have ever seen has broken mounts. I found one with good mounts, and brought home the entire powertrain and front suspension yesterday. It had newly replaced struts, cv shafts, and motor mounts. Then they totalled it and I found it in the boneyard. Recyling has commenced.