1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Fuel odor in car?? How to remove injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel odor in car?? How to remove injectors?

Hey I have a strong fuel odor in the car, now the recall has been done, and fuel filter has been recently changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also are injectors hard to remove? I read the instructions in my manual and it doesnt seem to bad...any one got some info on the easiest way to do it? I read that my injectors could be failling and before paying for a set, which seem to run about 60 a piece, I need to make sure its the problem.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Charles Bisel

Don't go ripping out your injectors, especially if you just had them replaced under the recall. Fuel injectors rarely fail and the only reason there was a recall on the stock ones was due to a safety issue. Granted, the original injectors did cause a fuel odor in the car, but the new ones don't and probably will never do so.

As for the odor inside the car, that could be caused by any number of things or a combination of them. For one, you may have an exhaust leak which is allowing the fumes to permeate the passenger compartment. Also, an engine running rich can cause a smell of gasoline. Your engine could be running rich for any number of reasons, you may need a tune up, you could have a bad air regulator, the air filter could be dirty, you may have a faulty sensor, etc, etc...

So, before you start blaming the injectors and end up wasting a lot of money or spending a lot of time changing them, look at some of the more common reasons why you could have that problem.

-C-

Old 03-18-2003, 10:36 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Don't go ripping out your injectors, especially if you just had them replaced under the recall. Fuel injectors rarely fail and the only reason there was a recall on the stock ones was due to a safety issue. Granted, the original injectors did cause a fuel odor in the car, but the new ones don't and probably will never do so.

As for the odor inside the car, that could be caused by any number of things or a combination of them. For one, you may have an exhaust leak which is allowing the fumes to permeate the passenger compartment. Also, an engine running rich can cause a smell of gasoline. Your engine could be running rich for any number of reasons, you may need a tune up, you could have a bad air regulator, the air filter could be dirty, you may have a faulty sensor, etc, etc...

So, before you start blaming the injectors and end up wasting a lot of money or spending a lot of time changing them, look at some of the more common reasons why you could have that problem.

-C-
I can't remember is the 87-88 2nd gens do this, but the 3rd gens do...they have a code that would display if there were problems with the injector. You might want to look into that.

S
Old 03-19-2003, 01:19 PM

nothing personal here but gas and raw exhaust smell totally different. If you arent sure come on by and take a ride in the camaro which has an exhuast cutout that exits right under the passenger side floor board. Ah now thats a beautiful smell.

If its fuel find out where the gas leak is and as advised already take it back in if its an injector. I've pulled a few fuel rails and injectors, my 84 max was harder then most to pull.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok thanks everyone,

So if its running rich it will smell also? I am aware that my air filter is due to be changed, It didnt even cross my mind that it could ever be that. I have been meaning to get one, guess I will make it a priority tomorrow.

Hey IROC-Z,

do you currently have one? That was my first car. I had a red 87 with 350...god I loved that car....only bad part was the gas mileage and that was when gas was 99. cents a gallon

Anyhow, I am positive its gas I smell.

I was reading in my manual that it could be injectors, that why I asked but its really unlikely you guys say for it to be an injector right....I read and it seems like a task and a 1/2 to pull them out.

Any more things I can check? I really dont want to pull the injectors out....and checking them would be a real pain.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Charles Bisel

I know what exhaust fumes smell like, the downpipe on my exhaust had a hole in it for a few months, which I just had fixed a couple of weeks ago.

To clarify myself, what I meant was that if his car was running rich, the exhaust would smell like gasoline and a bad exhaust would exacerbate the problem.

-C-

Old 03-20-2003, 06:18 AM

CHARLES, I will have to dissagree. I have never found a car that could run rich enough for me to smell gas in the exhuast at any point. But I could tell from the smell of the exhaust that it was running rich, BUT it did not smell like gas itself. This includes cars and bikes with bad carbs to the point the car/bike was flooded. The only time I have smelled raw fuel in the exhaust was when they would not start at all so the exhaust was simply gas and air, nothing burned.

For a gas smell on a running car I would look for a visible leak somewhere in the fuel system or the charcoal canister could be bad. Since the charcoal canister traps fuel vapors before they are burned a bad canister or loose/rooted hose will release fuel vapors.

MISCHIEF, I have an 89iroc now thats my play car basicly so it bets about .5mpg I live by the idea you have a car for everyday of the week and 2 for sunday.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:55 AM
I love lamp.

I have had run that quite a few times of smelling raw fuel from the exhaust. First case was in my father's 78 BMW 320i, which had a cylinder go bad and it wasn't firing at all. The second came from my 77 Mercedes 280e. As for this one, it had been sitting for a long time, and though she was running, she was not running very well what so ever.

S
Old 03-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I am going to rip apart the charcoal canister tomorrow after work and get that straightened out. If it isnt a leak, or the canister, I will go insane and no just kidding.

Ok thanks all...By the way those canisters go for 135 at the dealer, and 10 at the pick and pull....just incase anyone else has this problem in the future.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:39 PM

depending on how strong the odor is I would look for a visible leak 1st then check the canister. See if you cannot pin point in what basic area the smell is coming from at the least. Most canisters have a replacable charcoal filter that can be replaced for pennies on the dollar compared to a new canister.

turning the key to on, so the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel system or simply having the engine running will help spot any visible fuel leaks, but a simple vapor leak, like the canister will have to be 1st found with your nose then looked at with your eyes basicly.

What yr is the car? My 84's bad injector was very obivous as it was leaking all over the place when the car was running. 29 dollars and a few swear words later and everything was fixed.