1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Aiv

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 03:02 PM
I love lamp.

Aiv

Anyone have thier AIV just stop working? I replaced my cone filter today, and notice my AIV valve wasn't opening when I let off the throttle. Maybe it's just me. I dunno, kinda nice I don't have the grumbling noise from it, but it got me wondering. Worst case scenario is I get one from a junkyard, but it will be very low on my list. My next things I'm doing to my car are the reverse guages, getting the interior lights replaced with xenon ones, replacing the red door lights with clear ones, then there is the engine mount replacement, and strut/spring replacement.

S
Old 03-20-2003, 04:44 PM

The problems with acronyms is every has there own for whatever part it maybe. What on earth is AIV?

I really need to buy myself a repair manual I guess. It's just such a waste for the most part, at least in my case.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Aiv

Originally posted by maximase86
replacing the red door lights with clear ones,
Already done that! HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!! The Junkyard Hunter strikes again!!!!

*tosses cape over back - flies away............. *
Old 03-20-2003, 09:05 PM
Charles Bisel

The only problem, a very significant one at that, was when the AIV started putting water in my airbox. But I'm pretty sure the valve itself is still functioning. I disconnected the hose from it and when I pop up the hood I can see the vapor coming out of it, but it's not continous, it'll let out vapor for a few seconds, then stop, then do it again.. Also, it does it at idle, I don't have to depress the gas pedal to get it to put out the vapor.

-C-

Old 03-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Charles Bisel

Oh, you probably don't have to worry about replacing it either. I just passed my emissions test a few weeks ago with flying colors, so I don't think it matters all that much. I'm glad I didn't have to waste the money to replace it.

-C-

Old 03-20-2003, 11:14 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Oh, you probably don't have to worry about replacing it either. I just passed my emissions test a few weeks ago with flying colors, so I don't think it matters all that much. I'm glad I didn't have to waste the money to replace it.

-C-
All it does is put air through the exhaust system. Your probably getting exhaust going the wrong way, trapping water vapor...hence the water. What was fixed your emissions problem? I was gonna say this damn valve doesn't really do much for emissions...the 300zx doesn't even have it! Oh yeah, AIV stands for Air Injection Valve. Its job is to inject air into the exhaust stream when you let off the accelerator. To my knowledge, it only shows up in 2nd gens.

S
Old 03-21-2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

All it does is put air through the exhaust system. Your probably getting exhaust going the wrong way, trapping water vapor...hence the water. What was fixed your emissions problem? I was gonna say this damn valve doesn't really do much for emissions...the 300zx doesn't even have it! Oh yeah, AIV stands for Air Injection Valve. Its job is to inject air into the exhaust stream when you let off the accelerator. To my knowledge, it only shows up in 2nd gens.

S
hey if u need one i have 2 i can pull for u one already pulled from my old max which i never had a problem with, and the one on the car which was spouting water into the airbox if u want em i'll sell both for 30

~mike
Old 03-21-2003, 01:31 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by spacey64

hey if u need one i have 2 i can pull for u one already pulled from my old max which i never had a problem with, and the one on the car which was spouting water into the airbox if u want em i'll sell both for 30

~mike
Keep a hold of them for me, I may need them, but then again, I may not worry too much about it.

S
Old 03-21-2003, 04:05 PM

Ah air injection! So its an air system without the smog pump I take it. In that case I wouldnt even worry about it, actaully I probably would have ripped it out by now personally. Air systems are a complete waste for the most part. A bandade on a poorly performing engine, as far as emission that is.

I did notice my 84 has an egr system, very popular on many a model so I have no doubt a few of the later models still had it as well.

The better the engine the less the need for the bandage emisssions equipment like egr and air injection systems.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:56 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by IROC Z
Ah air injection! So its an air system without the smog pump I take it. In that case I wouldnt even worry about it, actaully I probably would have ripped it out by now personally. Air systems are a complete waste for the most part. A bandade on a poorly performing engine, as far as emission that is.

I did notice my 84 has an egr system, very popular on many a model so I have no doubt a few of the later models still had it as well.

The better the engine the less the need for the bandage emisssions equipment like egr and air injection systems.
Yeah, I'm not to worried about the AIV valve, though it I take it out, it would leave a good size hole in my exhaust manifold. The EGR valve though it something you want to leave alone if your state requires emissions. They are still in even new cars. Though mine doesn't let exhaust gas into the engine unless its running at 2700 rpm or higher, its there to help reduce NO emissions.

S
Old 03-22-2003, 04:16 PM

Beleive me I know what egr is for. Actaully on better performaning cars egr is not needed and is allot less common then in yrs past.

I only pull egr in performance oriented cars, on a stock street car there is beyond no need. The car will often detonate without the egr system inhibiting the combustion process a little.