1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

JDM intake manifold arrived

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 10:38 AM

JDM intake manifold arrived

It arrived!!! I picked up an awesome intake manifold meant for the 300zx VG30ET, it has a dual throttle body, where each port feeds either bank of pistons. This unit came from Japan and is not available in the US or Canada. I will take some pics when I mock it up on my test engine on the stand. This thing looks sooooweeeet and is supposed to give an extra 40hp over stock. Honestly, I should be able to get the same sort of flow out of the modifed stock 300zx intakes I am making, but this one just looks awesome!! Looks like it came right off a custom ralley car. :-)
Old 04-02-2003, 11:53 AM

Damn I didn't know the VG30ET had a dual TB intake plenum. I knew that the VG30DE does have a dual and single TB intake plenum though. Is there anyway you can find the part# for that IM? If you do that means anyone else can goto a dealer or Nissan motorsports and order it .
Old 04-02-2003, 03:04 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Damn I didn't know the VG30ET had a dual TB intake plenum. I knew that the VG30DE does have a dual and single TB intake plenum though. Is there anyway you can find the part# for that IM? If you do that means anyone else can goto a dealer or Nissan motorsports and order it .
Wow, that's cool the hear. I wonder if there is any benefits in using that plenum for N/A motors.

S
Old 04-02-2003, 03:11 PM

Hmmm . . .

You would face the same issues with this intake as you would if you fit a 300zx intake on, routing of the incoming air. I will post some pics and then you will have a better idea of what I am talking about. :-)

I took it apart to look around, and man, this baby was meant to BREATHE!
Old 04-02-2003, 10:06 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Hmmm . . .

Originally posted by KALSC
You would face the same issues with this intake as you would if you fit a 300zx intake on, routing of the incoming air. I will post some pics and then you will have a better idea of what I am talking about. :-)

I took it apart to look around, and man, this baby was meant to BREATHE!
Well, based on what some of Rodney's idea for a CAI, I think we could make that work, especially for us 86 owners since we have the injector blower in the car, we can fab something that runs through there or something. Plus, we can eliminate the AIV gear which would be a real plus. Anyway, I was gonna ask, if some of us other 2nd gen owners want to do a turbo motor, how much would you say that would cost? Also I'm wondering, how much would a boosted version of our cars benefit from a 5-speed with LSD? There is no doubt we can find one that will fit, purely because with other than some minor changes to internals, the 5-speed was the same from 85-01. Either way, I'm also doing some research into a supercharged version...maybe utilizing the supercharged VG33ES...though fit maybe an issue with the supercharger. I really want to build my car up to do at least mid-high 13's will keeping a sleeper look. Though I would have to find out how to fund it too.

S
Old 04-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Hmmm . . .

The injector blowers were optional. I couldve had it on my car. Not all of the 86s do though. Ive been trying to look for one of those things for a looong time. Every maxima I go to dont havem in the junk yard. Youre lucky. Anyway the supercharger thing. Wouldnt an Eaton design mostly work. I bet there could be one found too that could fit. The only problem would be fitment with the hood, Unless it was designed alittle different to the side. That could prolly work Now is all we need to do is find one. I know Nismo posted about a sc in the 3rd gen forum a while back ago. Saying it could prolly fit on the 3rd gens. Dont know what engine though. But from looking at it and its design it looked like it couldve fit our cars too.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:59 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm . . .

Originally posted by max88q
The injector blowers were optional. I couldve had it on my car. Not all of the 86s do though. Ive been trying to look for one of those things for a looong time. Every maxima I go to dont havem in the junk yard. Youre lucky. Anyway the supercharger thing. Wouldnt an Eaton design mostly work. I bet there could be one found too that could fit. The only problem would be fitment with the hood, Unless it was designed alittle different to the side. That could prolly work Now is all we need to do is find one. I know Nismo posted about a sc in the 3rd gen forum a while back ago. Saying it could prolly fit on the 3rd gens. Dont know what engine though. But from looking at it and its design it looked like it couldve fit our cars too.
Yeah, the supercharger I'm thinking is not the roots type, but the gear driven one, like you find on kits for the 4th, which looks like a turbo with a pulley. You can probably make a custome mount that would fit right above the A/C compressor. I dunno, I like the idea of a turbo better, but it maybe cheaper to go with supercharger, but not by very much (I think one guy got his for $2500). Either way, I'm very interest in making my car boosted, I got some 4th gen buddies here that I need to burn. Especially iansw, since he loves to give me a hard time about how my car doesn't seem fast. :P

S
Old 04-03-2003, 08:30 AM

I meant the roots type muh bad. But turbo seems better to me besides that. Turbo is more tuneable. Eaton type would take some $$$$ to make it happen. I could see that now. If Sc'd it would ahve to be roots the way our intake plenum is setup it seems so much easier. I was thinking the way the new RSX and Civic Si SCs are now roots type kinda slanted down abit to make room for the hood. Or we could be like the old mustangs and cut a hole where the Sc is lol. That be a real head turner lol.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:12 PM

Yeah, I am researching the supercharger option; if we were to move the injector blower, it might create enough room for the supercharger. I don't know what that big, black thingy is beside the blower, but if we can relocate that on to the firewall (there is a lot of open space there) that should give us even more room for the SC and piping. KALSC, is that new intake you got for the 300ZX capable of a direct bolt on for our engines? If so then we can forgo the 240sx intake manifold and go straight for the 300ZX intake system.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
Yeah, I am researching the supercharger option; if we were to move the injector blower, it might create enough room for the supercharger. I don't know what that big, black thingy is beside the blower, but if we can relocate that on to the firewall (there is a lot of open space there) that should give us even more room for the SC and piping. KALSC, is that new intake you got for the 300ZX capable of a direct bolt on for our engines? If so then we can forgo the 240sx intake manifold and go straight for the 300ZX intake system.
The big black round thingy? Thats your actuator for the Cruise control. Its vaccuum actuated and thats where it engages everything for it.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:22 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by max88q

The big black round thingy? Thats your actuator for the Cruise control. Its vaccuum actuated and thats where it engages everything for it.
lol, wow that really made you sound like a mechanic Rodney. Remember, don't forget the resevoir for the blinker fluid! :P

S
Old 04-06-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

lol, wow that really made you sound like a mechanic Rodney. Remember, don't forget the resevoir for the blinker fluid! :P

S
Yeah, but you know Sairn what I work on..... I know I am not really knowlegeable on what this is and that is..... but I can tear them down and build them back up, replace this and that, and know when it isn't working.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:49 PM
I love lamp.

Also remember, just because you get to go and have fun on the autobahn doesn't justify me not picking on you! lol . Then again...them bradleys you work on...can make mince meat out of me....which is reason enough not to pick on you.

S