1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

dash board lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dash board lights

I have an icon that looks like a crown lit on my dashboard information linup. It is always on. I have looked in the maintenance manual and cannot find out what it is.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 11:01 PM
I love lamp.

Re: dash board lights

Originally posted by brunetto
I have an icon that looks like a crown lit on my dashboard information linup. It is always on. I have looked in the maintenance manual and cannot find out what it is.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
Erm....are you talking about the one of the lights on the idiot bar? Lets see...the only things that would resemble a crown would probably be the defroster, a headlight is out, or you got a tailight out/brakelight out. If you could pin point the exact location, that would help a bunch.

S
Old 04-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: dash board lights

Can anyone help?
Thanks
PS. The light is part of the idiot lights. It is the 6th light from the left between the rear defroster and fuel icon
Old 04-15-2003, 06:27 AM

Re: Re: dash board lights

PS. The light is part of the idiot lights. It is the 6th light from the left between the rear defroster and fuel icon
Without my book available, I believe that light to indicate you are low on coolant, but I could be wrong. Watch your temp gauge..and check your radiator, not only for level, but use a hydrometer to test the efficiency of the coolant you have in there.

It could also be a malfunctioning sensor...but worth checking out.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What year is your max?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:55 AM

That's probably the windshield washer fluid light, it means you're either low or out of windshield washer fluid. I'll check it on mine later.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, MaxWgn is right, that is a low coolant light. I had that light on my Eagle Talon Tsi, but for some reason my Maxima doesn't have it. Actually, I'm missing a few lights that I've seen in a brochure on the 2nd gen, don't know why they didn't come with my car.

-C-

Old 04-15-2003, 11:14 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Yeah, MaxWgn is right, that is a low coolant light. I had that light on my Eagle Talon Tsi, but for some reason my Maxima doesn't have it. Actually, I'm missing a few lights that I've seen in a brochure on the 2nd gen, don't know why they didn't come with my car.

-C-
You have a floater don't you? Maybe that is why your missing some of the lights. Then again...maybe your car is just trying to stand out from the rest.

S
Old 04-15-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

You have a floater don't you? Maybe that is why your missing some of the lights. Then again...maybe your car is just trying to stand out from the rest.

S
Shouldn't be due to the floater issue, as mine is also a floater, which migrated south from Canada, and I have that Idiot Light.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Shouldn't be due to the floater issue, as mine is also a floater, which migrated south from Canada, and I have that Idiot Light.
Dont worry mine doesnt have some listed either. I think earlier year maximas and the Cali specs came with different indicator lights. I looked in an 85 one time and all the lights that are just about listed in the book are on those cars. Im sad to not see them on ours (87-88)they would have been mad help with any problems located.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, mine's a floater, but I'm not sure if that's why it doesn't have the light or not.

That is definitely one light that I really wish I had though. I rarely check my fluids, so it would be nice to know if I were low on it. I think it's so damn stupid that I have a washer fluid light and no coolant low light. A low coolant situation is a lot more critical than low washer fluid.

I also don't have a temperature warning light or an oil pressure light either. The temperature one isn't that big of a deal since I regularly check the gauge and it's fairly easy to read, but that damn oil pressure gauge is next to impossible to read. After the car is warmed up, the gauge hovers so close to zero that I wouldn't notice a difference if it were at 5 psi or 0 psi.

I'm sure glad these cars are reliable enough that I don't need to rely on gauges and warning lights.

-C-

Old 04-15-2003, 08:03 PM

Ooops, guess I don't have the coolant light. Charles is right it is kinda stupid to have a washer fluid light and not a coolant light. How would I go about finding out if mine is a floater or not?
Old 04-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Charles Bisel

There are two ways that I know of to check if you have a floater:

1.) If your car doesn't have the voice warning system, then you have a floater.

2.) If your car doesn't have a power antenna override switch, then you have a floater.

I believe there are a few other subtle differences too, but those are the main two.

The reason both of those were kept out is because the cars were routed through Latin and South America in order to get around the government's moronic import quotas (thank Lee Iaccoca for that one, he and the rest of the domestic automakers couldn't make cars as good as the Japanese at the time, so instead of trying to compete with them, they attempted to shut them out of the market altogether by whining to the government).

Anyway, since the cars were routed to predominantly non-English speaking countries, there was no need for an English speaking voice warning system. Also, it doesn't get cold enough in the tropics and equatorial regions to necessitate a power antenna override switch. Consequentially, if you don't have that switch, you're antenna will freeze in the winter and won't go down the whole way. I don't know if this will damage it or not, my car has dealt with plenty of harsh winters, the antenna has frozen over many times, but it still works like new.

-C-

Old 04-16-2003, 08:30 PM

Well I guess I have a floater then. Don't have the voice warning system, I don't see the power antenna override switch either. Is it supposed to be the same style as the rear defroster switch? There's one button missing on the radio but I doubt that's it. No worries here with the antenna since it was broken since I got it (won't go down). Thanks for the info.