1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 01:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finally!

I have installed that Reactive Air Filter that 88Maxq sold me, got it today....as if I could've waited until this weekend to install it .....
Hey thanx max...

what else you have to sell?

Sarin; I might go after the 240sx throttle body this week. I'll ship it in the trunk to Germany so that a "highly qualified German auto technician" can bore out my intake manifold to 60mm. Might buy another manifold, just in case. I might get the 300zx ECU too and throw it in the trunk, but can I put that in my car now without damaging anything?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:58 AM

Anybody know what's involved in boring out the intake? I have access to milling machine and tools and wondering if someone with my moderate machining skills could do it himself. Is it just a matter of getting the intake clamped down in the right position and boring it out? How deep do you have to go and how big is the stock opening to start with? I haven't decided if I'm going to start tearing the engine bay apart or just clean it up and drive it as is for now, yet, so I haven't looked inside the TB to see for myself.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:05 AM

Re: Finally!

Originally posted by GundamWZero
I have installed that Reactive Air Filter that 88Maxq sold me, got it today....as if I could've waited until this weekend to install it .....
Hey thanx max...

what else you have to sell?

Sarin; I might go after the 240sx throttle body this week. I'll ship it in the trunk to Germany so that a "highly qualified German auto technician" can bore out my intake manifold to 60mm. Might buy another manifold, just in case. I might get the 300zx ECU too and throw it in the trunk, but can I put that in my car now without damaging anything?
Im glad you like it! I dont think there is anything else for now. Ill post if there ever is though.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:52 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by SmokinSpecV
Anybody know what's involved in boring out the intake? I have access to milling machine and tools and wondering if someone with my moderate machining skills could do it himself. Is it just a matter of getting the intake clamped down in the right position and boring it out? How deep do you have to go and how big is the stock opening to start with? I haven't decided if I'm going to start tearing the engine bay apart or just clean it up and drive it as is for now, yet, so I haven't looked inside the TB to see for myself.
Rodney: if you do 300ZX swap, you MUST make sure its from an 86 or older 300ZX NA version. If you run the turbo ECU, you will screw everything up. It should be a straight swap. Also keep in mind, the person who did this mod on his 200SX V6, said he did loose some fuel mileage because the fuel curve is a bit more aggressive on the 300ZX ECU.

SmokinSpecV: There shouldn't be too much involved with boring out the intake plenum inlet. Just besure to stuff a rag so it doesn't get metal shavings all over the inside. Right now, the stock opening is about 50mm. The only way you will benenfit from the 89-91 Stanza/240SX TB mod is the open is up to 60mm too. Just simply slapping on the TB completely defeats the purpose of having it if you don't bore it out.

S
Old 04-15-2003, 10:41 AM

LOVE THAT RUMBLE!!!!!!

I started it up (of course, everybody knows that) after I installed it yesterday, but didn't drive it. However, today, I was listening to a song (at high volume) and I got on the gas a little. The car gave a low growl, enough for me to turn down the stereo! So I punched it again. Oh, man does that growl sound sweet! I wonder, do you guys get the same rumble after you installed the intakes?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:11 AM
I love lamp.

Re: LOVE THAT RUMBLE!!!!!!

Originally posted by GundamWZero
I started it up (of course, everybody knows that) after I installed it yesterday, but didn't drive it. However, today, I was listening to a song (at high volume) and I got on the gas a little. The car gave a low growl, enough for me to turn down the stereo! So I punched it again. Oh, man does that growl sound sweet! I wonder, do you guys get the same rumble after you installed the intakes?
I get the nice growl...which turns in to snarl at high high rpm range on mine when I punch it. When my AIV used to work, I would get a high pitch rumble (which sorta sounds like an exhaust leak when I let the gas off....that was because of the hose on the AIV valve that I attached a breather filter too. Quite honestley, when my AIV stop working a few weeks ago...it sounded a lot better. I might still do the custom Intake that EB was talking about that runs right off the throttle body....infact that would be the best way to make power. Just need to figure out what to do for the vacuum lines and chamber.

S