1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

common problems wiht second gen gxe wagons

Old 06-02-2003, 12:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

common problems wiht second gen gxe wagons

Hi, I might be purchasing an 85 GXE Wagon and I have a few questions.
First off, the guy selling it said sometimes, rarely though, when he tries to start it something is wrong with the starter and he has to rock the car side to side to get the starter to start working. Sounds like an electrical problem with the starter? and the tilting it just shakes the wires around maybe.

Second, is the keyless entry a pain? I know some keyless entry systems are really easy to just type in jumble and get the doors to open.

And third, when I further inspect the car is there anything I should look for? Any common problems?

Thanks for all your help!
dave
Old 06-02-2003, 12:24 AM
I love lamp.

Sounds like a bad starter connection, or possibly a bad starter solenoid. The keyless entry usually isn't a problem for these cars. Though some may not be functioning because of age or abuse. As for inspection, you want to make sure the fuel injector recall has been performed on that car, make sure the electrical system is in good working order, do a through check of the body for any rust. You might want to look into the service history of the car, and make sure the timing belt service is up to date. Anyone else care to add?

S

BTW, in 85 and 86, the GXE trim line didn't exist. They were known as GL's then. They later turned into the GXE line in 87-88 and stayed that way until the 6th gen release, which the GXE trim is no longer used.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:42 AM

Re: common problems wiht second gen gxe wagons

Originally posted by daver
Hi, I might be purchasing an 85 GXE Wagon and I have a few questions.
First off, the guy selling it said sometimes, rarely though, when he tries to start it something is wrong with the starter and he has to rock the car side to side to get the starter to start working. Sounds like an electrical problem with the starter? and the tilting it just shakes the wires around maybe.

Second, is the keyless entry a pain? I know some keyless entry systems are really easy to just type in jumble and get the doors to open.

And third, when I further inspect the car is there anything I should look for? Any common problems?

Thanks for all your help!
dave
I have an 87 wagon, and in my experience, one very common switch to go out is the headlight combo switch, on the column. I replaced mine once from a wrecking yard, and only got that one switch, for &$75...and it lasted about a year, before it started doing the same thing - lights acting up, one light working, the other not, hitting the brakes, and my head lights going out, etc...

All lights are routed thorugh that swicth. I'll tell you now that if there's a problem there, you can order one from most parts houses, new, for about $110 - $130, and that's BOTH column switches, and the block that connects them, and slides over the column itself. All the new one's carry a L/T waranty on them...
Old 06-04-2003, 11:43 PM

I have an 87 max wagon, and it has been very reliable. The above posts have excellent tips to check into.

I would also check to see if the engine is warm when you arrive at the car. The guy I bought mine from did this to me. The cold start air auxillary valve (?) was defunct, and I got a surprise later when I started it cold. Easy fix tho.

Also start the car multiple times (5-10). My car has a few starter teeth missing from the fly wheel that makes a lovely embarrasing screech noise about once every ten starts. I've heard other Nissans do the same in this age group. This is an expensive fix.

Also check hoses for age, and dry cracks.

Good luck.

P