1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

man...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 07:05 PM
I love lamp.

man...

I have one word.......***. I was changing my oil and I was inspecting the steering rack. Half of the boot on the driver side part of the rack is rotted out. There is also a lot of the power steering fluid/grease near the area, as well as near the power steering pump. This sucks ***. Now I wonder if the boot can be replaced. I need to get this taken care of....I don't want to spend 800-1000 bucks replacing my entire power steering system. What you guys think?

S
Old 06-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only way I see you replacing that boot is getting a new rack and installing it yourself and tightening up any lines that are loose. Maxwgn is replacing his now. You could probably get some insight on it.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:40 AM

Re: man...

Originally posted by maximase86
I have one word.......***. I was changing my oil and I was inspecting the steering rack. Half of the boot on the driver side part of the rack is rotted out. There is also a lot of the power steering fluid/grease near the area, as well as near the power steering pump. This sucks ***. Now I wonder if the boot can be replaced. I need to get this taken care of....I don't want to spend 800-1000 bucks replacing my entire power steering system. What you guys think?

S
If it's just the boot bad on the rack itself, and it's not leaking from any of the seals, then you can get a new boot. DO NOT get the universal type, by Cosmo...they are utter krap...pay the approx. $15 ea to get a good, OEM style. It will require removal of the outer tie rod end, and I will warn you...it's a real beeotch to clamp or fasten, the the new boots to the rack, with it in the car. R/Ring the rack itself, without the aid of a lift is a true PITA...

The pump isn't as bad as every says to get out, and the rebuild process is so easy, it only took 20 minutes to disassemble, clean, reassemble with new seals, and torque all fasteners...but that's if the internals are all ok. With the pump design, the only three things that can be damaged are the shaft, the "fins" and the "sleeve" - these parts are obvious when you see them. The shaft can be bought seperately...the others cannot...and will require either a new pump, of find a decent pump from a wrecking yard and reseal it...
Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: man...

Originally posted by MaxWgn

If it's just the boot bad on the rack itself, and it's not leaking from any of the seals, then you can get a new boot. DO NOT get the universal type, by Cosmo...they are utter krap...pay the approx. $15 ea to get a good, OEM style. It will require removal of the outer tie rod end, and I will warn you...it's a real beeotch to clamp or fasten, the the new boots to the rack, with it in the car. R/Ring the rack itself, without the aid of a lift is a true PITA...

The pump isn't as bad as every says to get out, and the rebuild process is so easy, it only took 20 minutes to disassemble, clean, reassemble with new seals, and torque all fasteners...but that's if the internals are all ok. With the pump design, the only three things that can be damaged are the shaft, the "fins" and the "sleeve" - these parts are obvious when you see them. The shaft can be bought seperately...the others cannot...and will require either a new pump, of find a decent pump from a wrecking yard and reseal it...
Yeah, the seal's maybe alright, but I know I got leaking fluid somewhere. The big nut on the end of input shaft on the rack has some fresh oil. Pretty sure its a loose hose or something. The steering of the car is very solid. The steering is nice and tight with very little free play, no strange noises comes from my steering, unless my fluid level gets low, the pump makes a little noise. I also did something rather strange, I topped off my power steering with ATF, and I still have power steering fluid in the system. (Oh well, my resivoir dropped below the minimum mark, and ATF is all I had, so I said screw it and mixed it).

S