1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

When it rains...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 AM

When it rains...

it pours...

Last week, my town started tagging cars that are not running, for fines and towing. After being tagged, you have one week to get it repaired and road worthy, or move it, or they will tow it.

The same day that came up, on the way home from work, my wife's van burned a wheel bearing, frying the front brake rotor...

Well, the car and van both had to sit on jack stands until this weekend. I was going to get them both on the ground, and running.

Saturday, I spent the best part of the day buying the parts needed for the van, and under a 2nd gen SE in a wrecking yard, pulling misc. parts that were lost during the work done on my wagon. When I was done at the yard, I was too worn out to work on either, or pick up the last two items - the new rotors for the van. So I rested the rest of Saturday.

Sunday morning, first thing, I get up, and run down to get her rotors. On the way home, I approach the house from a different angle, allowing me to see where some &^*&^*&^*@&%(*&^)@#(*^)$@&^)@*&^$#(*&^@$(*&#@^*(&^ (@*&^$(@*&^$(*@&(^$ had taken a crowbar to the back side windows and sliding door windoe to my wife's van, covering her van, my car, and the ground with tons of shattered glass!

So, I got the spend the rest of the morning waiting for the police to arrive to take a report, and then we spent several hours cleaning up the glass in the driveway, just so I could work on the cars.

When all that was said and done, I did her brakes and bearings in about an hour and half, taking a break for dinner, and ended up finally calling it a night at 11:00, without ever having touched my car. In addition to that, during the brake work, I find out that the van we just bought is in need of an entire front end rebuild...even more money we don't have!

Great...but at least it's easier to do work on that my car, having more room to work, being a RWD, with front mounted rack & pinion...everything can be done in a day...but I now have to come up with $400 in parts for the front end, PLUS another $400 to $500 for new windows for the van...

All of this with financial difficulties making if hard to even pay the (*&^ rent on the house...LIFE SUKCS!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:25 AM
I love lamp.

*** dude.....sorry to hear about that. I'm in a similar situation as you.....though not as bad. My financial aid is all screwed up right now, so I might have to put my suspension upgrade and front end work on hold. Either way, just hang in there, things will eventually get better.

S
Old 06-24-2003, 03:39 PM

Re: When it rains...

Originally posted by MaxWgn
it pours...

Last week, my town started tagging cars that are not running, for fines and towing. After being tagged, you have one week to get it repaired and road worthy, or move it, or they will tow it.

The same day that came up, on the way home from work, my wife's van burned a wheel bearing, frying the front brake rotor...

Well, the car and van both had to sit on jack stands until this weekend. I was going to get them both on the ground, and running.

Saturday, I spent the best part of the day buying the parts needed for the van, and under a 2nd gen SE in a wrecking yard, pulling misc. parts that were lost during the work done on my wagon. When I was done at the yard, I was too worn out to work on either, or pick up the last two items - the new rotors for the van. So I rested the rest of Saturday.

Sunday morning, first thing, I get up, and run down to get her rotors. On the way home, I approach the house from a different angle, allowing me to see where some &^*&^*&^*@&%(*&^)@#(*^)$@& ^)@*&^$#(*&^@$(*&#@^*(&^(@*&^$ (@*&^$(*@&(^$ had taken a crowbar to the back side windows and sliding door windoe to my wife's van, covering her van, my car, and the ground with tons of shattered glass!

So, I got the spend the rest of the morning waiting for the police to arrive to take a report, and then we spent several hours cleaning up the glass in the driveway, just so I could work on the cars.

When all that was said and done, I did her brakes and bearings in about an hour and half, taking a break for dinner, and ended up finally calling it a night at 11:00, without ever having touched my car. In addition to that, during the brake work, I find out that the van we just bought is in need of an entire front end rebuild...even more money we don't have!

Great...but at least it's easier to do work on that my car, having more room to work, being a RWD, with front mounted rack & pinion...everything can be done in a day...but I now have to come up with $400 in parts for the front end, PLUS another $400 to $500 for new windows for the van...

All of this with financial difficulties making if hard to even pay the (*&^ rent on the house...LIFE SUKCS!!!!!!
Man... Sorry to hear that... wish I was around to at least
give ya a hand with the labor part of the ordeal!

By the way... sorry for not getting back to you on the part
that you asked for.

Do you still need it?

Scott
Old 06-24-2003, 04:44 PM

Re: Re: When it rains...

Originally posted by 86Wagon

Man... Sorry to hear that... wish I was around to at least
give ya a hand with the labor part of the ordeal!

By the way... sorry for not getting back to you on the part
that you asked for.

Do you still need it?

Scott
The only things I may need now would be the actual switch part screwed into the top of the unit(not the entire hardline, pressure distrib block, just the switch. Nissan house here wants $70 for it.), and the oil pressure sending unit, next to the oil filter.

Let me know what you may want for them.

As for the labor, the rack is the only thing that has me going. Sad part is, the only friend I have left in town works all weekend, every weekend, so I can't even recruit him for assistance...
Old 06-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dang man. Im very sorry to hear to have both vehicles not running not good. Just tihnking of the type of situation your in stresses me to think of me being in that same position. I thought I was all paid up with bills well just when you think youre fine more stuff comes up. Its like Im never going to get out of this slump. Then some financial advisor people are walking through our apartment complex soliciting about there work. Like I have money to save right now. Even just 5 bucks.. Im too nice too I have an appointment on Thursday at 5 Im basically going to hear what they have to say and tell them nahh thats alright. We live in Salary based Aparments and they come in here acting like we got money to spare to pay them for doing our finances. Please!! Im surprised they decided to come to an Apartment complex such as this anyway. But Man I hope things really come around for you. I experienced in the worst in my life earlier in Mar. thinking I had more money in the bank caused alot of things to happen. Its mad stress, kinda like youre in a corner by yourself with nothing you can do about it. Ill pray for ya man!
Old 06-25-2003, 06:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

The only things I may need now would be the actual switch part screwed into the top of the unit(not the entire hardline, pressure distrib block, just the switch. Nissan house here wants $70 for it.), and the oil pressure sending unit, next to the oil filter.

Let me know what you may want for them.

As for the labor, the rack is the only thing that has me going. Sad part is, the only friend I have left in town works all weekend, every weekend, so I can't even recruit him for assistance...
I know the oil pressure switch will only take a few minutes
to remove...

How long should it take to remove the the other switch and how
do I locate it on my parts car?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 06-25-2003, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

I know the oil pressure switch will only take a few minutes
to remove...

How long should it take to remove the the other switch and how
do I locate it on my parts car?

Thanks!
Scott
Ok, the P/S pressure switch is easy to find...while under the car, locate the rack. In the center of the rack, if it has never been removed, you will see a small sheild like cover, with the pressure hose coming out from under/behind it. If you then feel your way up the "block" that the pressure hose, and this cover, are connected to, you will find a conical shaped type device screwed into the top of the block, with a wire or two coming out of it. The wires do not have any kind of connector on it accessable from the engine bay, so you'll need to cut it - cut about 1/2 way up, to allow for plenty of pig-tail slack. Then, unscrew the switch from the top of this block. It's accessable with the rack in the car, but you're likely going to want to remove the cover, and the pressure hose, and will also likely need a "stubby" box wrench.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

Ok, the P/S pressure switch is easy to find...while under the car, locate the rack. In the center of the rack, if it has never been removed, you will see a small sheild like cover, with the pressure hose coming out from under/behind it. If you then feel your way up the "block" that the pressure hose, and this cover, are connected to, you will find a conical shaped type device screwed into the top of the block, with a wire or two coming out of it. The wires do not have any kind of connector on it accessable from the engine bay, so you'll need to cut it - cut about 1/2 way up, to allow for plenty of pig-tail slack. Then, unscrew the switch from the top of this block. It's accessable with the rack in the car, but you're likely going to want to remove the cover, and the pressure hose, and will also likely need a "stubby" box wrench.

Can't get at it from topside?

Scott
Old 06-25-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

Can't get at it from topside?

Scott
You can, but it's easier to originally locate it from underneath. but if you know where the oil filter is from above, it's almost directly back from it, towards the firewall. from above, you could probably use a crows foot socket and a long extension...
Old 06-25-2003, 07:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

You can, but it's easier to originally locate it from underneath. but if you know where the oil filter is from above, it's almost directly back from it, towards the firewall. from above, you could probably use a crows foot socket and a long extension...
They're on their way...

PM me you address and I ship them out Monday...

Scott
Old 06-25-2003, 09:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

They're on their way...

PM me you address and I ship them out Monday...

Scott
What do you want for them?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

What do you want for them?
No charge... they're not doing me any good and
I don't know their condition... and in lieu of your
recent events, sounds like you need a break!

Scott
Old 06-25-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When it rains...

No charge... they're not doing me any good and
I don't know their condition... and in lieu of your
recent events, sounds like you need a break!

Scott
Well, then, I'll owe you a favor.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:20 AM

Well, now it's hailing basket *****, with a tornado on the way....

With my birthday only a few days away, my mom has been diagnosed with #$&#$^&$^&#%^&#$^&#$763 cancer!

Man, it's sucks being life's *^*&^* litterbox!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:26 PM
I love lamp.

Well, now it's hailing basket *****, with a tornado on the way....

With my birthday only a few days away, my mom has been diagnosed with #$&#$^&$^&#%^&#$^&#$763 cancer!

Man, it's sucks being life's *^*&^* litterbox!
Man...sorry to hear about your mom. You both have my best wishes for recovery. I wish there is something I can do to help you out. If you ever need anything, let me know.

S
Old 07-06-2003, 09:03 PM

sounds like life's givin you a kick in the a.... well I really hope things get better for everybody, I wish there was something I could do, I've got my problems here and there but nothing as bad as what you're goin through..... you have my utmost wishes that things clear up and you see a blue sky soon. I really hope things will work out on your behalf. our prayers are with your mom.

would you at least keep us posted?

Dan
------------------
Old 07-06-2003, 09:11 PM

well... I can relate at least a little bit. I know that when my maxima sat along the road for 2 months in need of a clutch, some kids, or an a!!hole neighbor, or someone, figured it'd be cute to smash my drivers side window in. now PA has been hit pretty damn hard with rain these past 6 months or so, so I had to super-duct tape a plastic bag to the door until I could save up for a clutch...I'm not exactly making top salary. well now my neighbor, an old gentleman in his 70s who had a nissan altima, passed away a few days ago. he was tellin me not too long ago about how his son worked at the same nissan dealer I bought my 2003 sentra from. he was a real nice guy, and a great person to talk to. never bothered anybody, minded his own business. he's about the nicest person in this forsaken town, at least that I have met, he wasn't some rich soccermom minivan family (like the ones I have next door) who calls the cops on their 20-year-old neighbor cos there's a broken-down 88 maxima in front of his own house. (that would be me). it seems like the best of people among society have a tendency of leaving us early.... the nice people lose and the a!!holes win. I'm really bummed about him passing away.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
sounds like life's givin you a kick in the a.... well I really hope things get better for everybody, I wish there was something I could do, I've got my problems here and there but nothing as bad as what you're goin through..... you have my utmost wishes that things clear up and you see a blue sky soon. I really hope things will work out on your behalf. our prayers are with your mom.

would you at least keep us posted?

Dan
------------------
I am planning to keep all up to date...but right now, life is really sucking hard...the light that eventually comes at the end of this tunnel damn well better not be the train...
Old 07-07-2003, 04:25 PM

like I said, man, I really hope things start clearing up over on your end.