1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

blew out my exhaust pipe.. replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:43 PM

blew out my exhaust pipe.. replacements?

I replaced the exhaust pipe ~2 years ago, and the muffler ~1 year ago (+1 year maybe on each...), and the exhaust pipe has already been rusted through. I knew there was a hole, but I hadnt gotten to patching it, but it looks like its too late. On my way home from NoVa on the 4th, I noticed my car making more noise than usual. I talked to my brother about it, and he said I might have cracked my exhaust manifold, but when I went out the next day to listen for where the loud exhaust noise was coming from, I saw that my exhaust pipe had snapped apart and my muffler was now being suspended by just the mounting bars. I really dont want to just patch it, and I'd prefer to not go back and buy another Advanced Auto exhaust pipe to quick fix it. Are there any exhausts out there for 2nd gens? Or am I better off just buying a universal muffler and having exhaust pipes made? The cheap metal of the exhaust pipe is no doubt to blame (in addition to the above average snow fall/road salt from this past winter), and I'd really rather not put in something thats just gonna rust out again. The muffler isnt in the best of shape either. It seems every time I identify a problem with my max and make plans to fix it, something else goes wrong, just to keep me on my toes..
Old 07-07-2003, 08:31 PM
I love lamp.

Well, what I did was had a custom cat-back pipe made. I decided to go with a slightly larger diameter, 2.25" opposed the 2", and a hi flow muffler. I got a nice tone from the car, and I'm getting some performance too.

S
Old 07-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Charles Bisel

Pacesetter is the only one that makes an exhaust that fits our cars. It's a catback system and it's coated so it'll take a lot longer for it to rust out. Plus, the piping is mandrel bent which allows for greater flow. I have it on my car and it sounds great and has definitely added some better performance. However, it is kind of pricey, so if you don't have a lot of funds you may want to go Sarin's route and get a universal hi flow muffler and some piping bent into shape.

-C-

Old 07-08-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by maximase86
Well, what I did was had a custom cat-back pipe made. I decided to go with a slightly larger diameter, 2.25" opposed the 2", and a hi flow muffler. I got a nice tone from the car, and I'm getting some performance too.

S
how much did the custom cat-back pipe cost you? I know its economic compared to buying a real exhaust kit, but how much are we talking? Trying to budget all repair work.
And the exhaust pipe snapped just a inch or so from the clamp that the muffler place put on where the pipe and muffler meet. Muffler might be alright, but at the very least the outer tip of it is rusted as well. My dad told me to take a tin can and put it on there for the time being as a quick fix, but I'd have to pull off that clamp, fit the can, put the clamp back on, and then try to fit it onto the exhaust pipe which is already rusted a bit beyond where it broke.. so I dont think its worth the effort yet.. I'll have to see how much the piping will cost (just a ball-park figure would be sufficient)

Greg
Old 07-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I love lamp.

Total amount for my exhaust from catback is $201.41. This includes the muffler, the pipe, the welding, chrome finisher, tax and labor. Mine doesn't really use clamps, it's primarily welded. They do weld the hangers to the exhaust though.

S
Old 07-08-2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Pacesetter is the only one that makes an exhaust that fits our cars. It's a catback system and it's coated so it'll take a lot longer for it to rust out. Plus, the piping is mandrel bent which allows for greater flow. I have it on my car and it sounds great and has definitely added some better performance. However, it is kind of pricey, so if you don't have a lot of funds you may want to go Sarin's route and get a universal hi flow muffler and some piping bent into shape.

-C-
Charles, I thought that when I was on the Pacesetter site, the system for the second gens was coded as only a axle-back system. How long ago did you get yours? Maybe it's discontinued or maybe I was confused. Anyway, how pricey was it? I've looked into a custom mandrel bent 2.5" aluminized system with a good (welded, seamless) stainless performance muffler and they quoted me about $1kCND(maybe $700US.) I would rather have a stainless or coated system that is engineered for our cars than some unproven custom job that will probably rust out in 2-3 years anyway.

Leigh
Old 07-08-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by SmokinSpecV

Charles, I thought that when I was on the Pacesetter site, the system for the second gens was coded as only a axle-back system. How long ago did you get yours? Maybe it's discontinued or maybe I was confused.
Leigh
I noticed that too. Its listed in the inventory, but its not on the price lists page. And its not cat-back for 84-88. And if the custom job is only gonna last a few years, I might as well just go get another cheap exhaust from one of the auto stores and deal with it. Much cheaper than a custom job.. and sadly cheap is what its looking like its gonna have to be.

Greg
Old 07-08-2003, 09:35 PM
I love lamp.

well, if you going to do a custom job, you should make sure they are using a good quality stainless steel. That will be more resistent to the road salt and weather condition.

S
Old 07-09-2003, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
well, if you going to do a custom job, you should make sure they are using a good quality stainless steel. That will be more resistent to the road salt and weather condition.

S
Very true...when going with a custom built exhaust, you can request the quality components you want, if the shop is reputable. The best, of course, is S/S, followed by Aluminized / or Aluminum Coated...the last choice shouldn't be used except under the most dire of circumstances - mild steel. This will usually rust out wihtin a year - especially in rust prone area...

S/S will probably outlast the car, but expect it's use to double, if not almost triple the cost of the job. Not only is the material more expensive, it costs more to weld, as S/S welding rods typically are more expensive, as well as the welding technique is usually different...
Old 07-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, the exhaust that I got from Pacesetter is definitely a catback system, I even watched as the mechanic put it on the car. It's possible that Pacesetter's website is erroneous or hell, maybe my mechanic ordered the wrong unit. He did have trouble getting it on with the stock hangers and clamps so he ended up welding it on.

The entire unit with installation cost me around $350 if I remember correctly. I had it done a year and a half ago, so it's certainly possible that they discontinued all of the catback piping for our cars and just sell the muffler now.

If you can't get that setup, I'd get a really good quality stainless steel muffler and some regular steel piping. There might be something that you could spray on the piping to make it rust proof that could also withstand the heat of the exhaust. If not, at least you'd only be replacing the piping every few years and not the entire system.

-C-