1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Inline 6 vs. V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 07:04 AM

Inline 6 vs. V6

I was running a little late this morning for my auto parts delivery and ran into the manager at my last store in Selinsgrove, PA. well we got to talking and as it turns out, he used to work at the Nissan dealer where my Maxima was sold.

he said something that I thought was interesting and surprising, and kinda hard to believe.

he told me that the 3.0-litre V6 engine Nissan put in the Maxima station wagons is an inline 6, instead of the V6s the sedans have.

is this true? it seems kinda hard to imagine. no repair manual has ever said anything about an inline 6. not that I've seen anyway. unless he's talking about some Datsun 810 from the 70s...but we were clearly on the subject of the 1988 Maximas.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:35 AM

Re: Inline 6 vs. V6

Originally posted by blackmaxima88
I was running a little late this morning for my auto parts delivery and ran into the manager at my last store in Selinsgrove, PA. well we got to talking and as it turns out, he used to work at the Nissan dealer where my Maxima was sold.

he said something that I thought was interesting and surprising, and kinda hard to believe.

he told me that the 3.0-litre V6 engine Nissan put in the Maxima station wagons is an inline 6, instead of the V6s the sedans have.

is this true? it seems kinda hard to imagine. no repair manual has ever said anything about an inline 6. not that I've seen anyway. unless he's talking about some Datsun 810 from the 70s...but we were clearly on the subject of the 1988 Maximas.
He's full of it...the wagon and the sedan have always shared the exact same engine. The only differences i've noticed (owning a wagon):

More "Trunk Space" and lower load height for the "trunk" in the wagon.

The back seat is different, for obvious reasons.

Location of the antenna (sedan - rear fender, wagon - front fender).

The roofline curve is different - discovered this when i installed sedan's sunroof panel in my wagon, and it does not match the curvature...so therefore it leaks like a seive...

The curb weight...

That's it...

Doors, most interior parts, etc...will cross over...etc...
Old 07-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Re: Inline 6 vs. V6

I have an 86 wagon and mine's the V6.

Scott
Old 07-24-2003, 11:23 AM
I love lamp.

He must of been talking about a 1st gen wagon...all second gens have the same motor, and all 1st gens have the same motor except for the diesels. That guy must of worked for nissan before 84! :P

S
Old 07-24-2003, 08:53 PM

could it be possible for the older desel wagons to be inline?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:11 PM
I love lamp.

erm....all 1st gens are inline 6's. They had the gas L24E and the diesel L28D.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:07 AM

I thought all the 2nd gens had the same v6 engine. I don't know what the hell he was talkin about. he also told me that they only made the wagon for 2 years.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:47 AM

I thought all the 2nd gens had the same v6 engine. I don't know what the hell he was talkin about. he also told me that they only made the wagon for 2 years.
HAHA...know we know he's full of it...the wagon was available all through the first and second generation...that's what????

7 years???

He's off by 5 years...

But, that actually sounds typical for a lot of dealerships...at our local dealership, I've only met one guy, a LONG time Nissan guy, that knew they even made a Max Wagon
Old 07-25-2003, 08:30 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MaxWgn

HAHA...know we know he's full of it...the wagon was available all through the first and second generation...that's what????

7 years???

He's off by 5 years...

But, that actually sounds typical for a lot of dealerships...at our local dealership, I've only met one guy, a LONG time Nissan guy, that knew they even made a Max Wagon
lol, no doubt. The guy is definately a complete idiot! :P
Old 07-26-2003, 11:31 PM

I figured he's a complete idiot, he drove a newer chevy cavalier dressed up for racing.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:34 PM
I love lamp.

Now that's funny! Does he have coffee can on the back too? Car can probably do the quarter mile in 16 minutes! hahahahaha Not that I'm ragging on cavaliers, they do alright.....for a small, semi-economy car....definately not for modding though.

S
Old 07-27-2003, 12:45 AM

no.....the z24s have only 2.5 litre engines. there's only so much you can do with a 4-cylinder engine. but people who take these honda civics, accords, integras, eclipses, cavaliers, etc and dress em up to race don't know that. they make 4-cylinders for a reason....fuel economy, not street racing. granted, they can make 4-cylinders that have a swift kick to them, I've seen a few, but there certainly are better. I'd like to see some dressed up honda civic line up to race a corvette stingray and get the **** kicked out of it. THAT would be funny.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:34 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, thanks to GM's poor engineering, there's only so much you can do to a Cavalier. There is a company that makes a supercharger for them and can get the engine up to a respectable 230 HP. However, they wouldn't be driving the car for very long, as the engine is not designed to handle that kind of pressure in the cylinders and would eventually cause damage to the pistons, valves, or bearings. Also, the head gaskets are notoriously weak and would need replacing every 30K miles, which is a good $750 in labor costs. Now, keep in mind, that's only with 5-6 psi of boost.

There's really no one that offers the kind of performance parts needed to handle even 5-6 psi boost on that crappy four banger, let alone more. And the idiots running GM and Ford wonder why young guys are choosing imports over their Cavaliers and Focuses.

-C-

Old 07-27-2003, 02:00 AM

um....because domestic cars are junk?

it's like I just said in another thread, a friend of mine has a '96 GMC Sonoma pickup. the tensioner pulley on the idler arm is made of PLASTIC. a moving part, made of plastic. now.... I'm no EXPERT mechanic, being the young age of 20, but common sense tells me that any moving parts get hot, right? well, one day this PLASTIC pulley just melted somehow. I love that, really I do.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:17 PM
I love lamp.

well most domestic cars are junk. There are still a few very good ones around. Corvettes, the dodge neon S-RT is getting some very good reviews...though its still got the cheesy look...and cheap interior, Pontiac GTP's, aren't too shabby...but that's about it.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:12 AM

Cavaliers are wack! A guy I know thinks he's all Vin Diesel in his mom's Z24!
Besides it's a 2.4 liter (look at the name). He burns out the muthaf*cka! Trys to race other peeps in imports. And spits out lies so he can cover up his "notorious braggin rights". He even thinks his real actual car (96 Pontiac Grand Am) could beat anyone. He believes he'll get his Grand Am or his momma's z24 all tricked out. Says all that bullsh*t for 2 years and not a dam major thing has been done. Then he claims that Domestics are his favorite because it has much better potential and the only import he has love for is a 97 Eclipse. He is already making plans for modding a car that he doesn't even have! Plus he tells me he'll race me no matter what car I have. I told that kid not to front because I have an import in mind that race him and his sucka friends in the street....a Nissan 240SX!
He's all trippin' "WHAT IS THAT?" "THOSE CAN'T COMPARE TO ME" So I'm like of course they can't compare to your sorry azz, because they are better you idiot! He didn't believe me, but I told him to just watch out 'cause his own words would turn around and bite him in the azz. Ya'll think so?
Here is a bet goin' on right now with him and his buddy:

Which car has more potential, Cavalier Z24, Acura Integra, or a Nissan 240SX?
Old 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
well most domestic cars are junk. There are still a few very good ones around. Corvettes, the dodge neon S-RT is getting some very good reviews...though its still got the cheesy look...and cheap interior, Pontiac GTP's, aren't too shabby...but that's about it.
Camaros and Mustangs are pretty quick. course, the Camaro
and Firebird are no longer and the Mustang almost got snuffed
once as well.

I'd like to see/drive the new GTO when it comes out...

Scott
Old 07-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Charles Bisel

The Z24 name doesn't have anything to do with the engine size. Chevy used the Z24 badging when there were 2.8L and 3.1L V6's in there.

As far as stock performance goes, I'd say the Integra would beat the 240SX and the Z24. As far as modded goes, I'd take the 240SX with a turbo, hands down.

-C-

Old 07-29-2003, 12:02 AM

don't forget....An early 90's 240SX vs. an early 90's Integra...I'd say the 240 gots more game. Due to the fact it has more power and a RWD. plus drifting through turns. sorry to the integra. I thought the name Z24 did resemble the engine because I peeped it in a catalog. Anyway who cares...Cavaliers are still wack!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:58 AM

What!?!

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
The Z24 name doesn't have anything to do with the engine size. Chevy used the Z24 badging when there were 2.8L and 3.1L V6's in there.

As far as stock performance goes, I'd say the Integra would beat the 240SX and the Z24. As far as modded goes, I'd take the 240SX with a turbo, hands down.

-C-
Charles,
Does that mean the Impala Z11 (with Chevy's predecessor to the 427) had more than 1.1 liters? And the Z28s weren't 2.8 litres? What did the Beretta Z26 have in it? LMAO at some of the things people assume.
Nothing personal, Jay just kind of amusing in the context of Chevrolet's nomenclature
Old 08-01-2003, 10:34 PM

I dunno...I'm not a chevy person... anymore. I don't know what they were thinking when they made that, it's not like any of the z-series cars were any better.

there's actually a Z17.... that's a chevette! LMAO!!!