4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU + Y-Pipe and Intake vs. one or the other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 08:11 AM
ajaffee

I have seen a ton of information regarding the gains from the JWT and UPRD ECU's, as well as from the Y-pipe and intake mods.
Does anyone have info about gains using the ECU in conjuction with the Y-pipe and intake vs.
using the ECU without y-pipe vs.
using the Y-pipe and intake without ECU

I'm planning on getting an ECU, and maybe a Y-pipe and intake. My main questions is, do the power gains from using a Y-pipe and intake in conjuction with the ECU justify the cost and installation time for the y-pipe. Are the extra gains worth it.
I know a y-pipe and intake with a stock Max ECU shows significant gains, and the ECU itself does, but do the two add up?

Old 03-14-2001, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by ajaffee
I have seen a ton of information regarding the gains from the JWT and UPRD ECU's, as well as from the Y-pipe and intake mods.
Does anyone have info about gains using the ECU in conjuction with the Y-pipe and intake vs.
using the ECU without y-pipe vs.
using the Y-pipe and intake without ECU

I'm planning on getting an ECU, and maybe a Y-pipe and intake. My main questions is, do the power gains from using a Y-pipe and intake in conjuction with the ECU justify the cost and installation time for the y-pipe. Are the extra gains worth it.
I know a y-pipe and intake with a stock Max ECU shows significant gains, and the ECU itself does, but do the two add up?
the ECU will give u most performance if u have intake and Y-pipe.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:55 PM

Bleh

Get the ypipe first. Its cheaper, at least as much gain as ecu, according to a lot of others.

Ive never dyno'd, thats why im referrin to other ppls comments. If you live near doug, he'll even install the pipe for you!
Old 03-14-2001, 09:28 PM

i heard from robert and the programmers at g-force that the level of upgrades won't make a difference unless you get into NOS or SC which would be a different program all together.

myself, i'd get the y-pipe first.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:20 AM
robert@gforce

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 95greense
[B]i heard from robert and the programmers at g-force that the level of upgrades won't make a difference unless you get into NOS or SC which would be a different program all together.

I have recieved some email at Gforce concerning this post so I decided to register and post a response just to clear up any past and potential misunderstandings.

The post above by 95greense is correct. The statment is out of context, and a little misleading so an explaination should be made, sorry for the miscommunication.

Bolt-on upgrades such as air intake, filter, or exhaust changes can make small gains in power. Our ECU upgrade program was written for and tested on close to 10 maximas in the process of research and development. Probably 8 had mild upgrades such as a Cone filter intake and exhaust mods.
What this means is that if you purchase an Gforce upgrade with only a rear section exhaust and air intake then 3 months later install a y-pipe, a program change really isnt needed. The difference in back pressure and the resulting gain in air volumn will easily be compensated for by the factory Fuel Injection System increasing power and torque in addition to the previous mods. Y-pipe equipped cars have been tested before on the dyno with our ECU upgrade and the air/fuel ratio data was great, well within the desired specs.

Doing major head porting, cams, and or forced induction, not to mention NOS, will call for different program maps.
Running our basic ECU upgrade with a 150 HP NOS system is not advisable.

The '95-'96 factory Maxima program is very conservative. In many cases Factory engineers actually de-tune the power curve in places for different reasons such as limiting torque steer or to create a more peaky, more dramatic power curve.
We are able to take advantage of this and remap the Ignition timing and fuel maps more agressively for better response, torque and HP. This difference is really noticable.

Thanks to all the current and future ECU upgrade cusotmers!