1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:14 PM
shimoto

radio problems

i have the stock radio in my 86 maxima...wen turned on, it takes the radio quite a while to pick up ne sort of signal...or even no signal at all. wen it does pick up a signal and plays the radio, it is very scratchy and does not exceed much volume. also wen u press the brake, it stops the playing until u release the brake...ne1 have this problem or no how to fix it?

Old 07-30-2003, 08:43 AM

um... well... I want to say you're not picking up a signal, that definately would cause it to search through and play scratchy sounds. that's merely the antenna.

as for the brake... I have to admit...you got me. only thing I could think of is a weak alternator output?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:38 AM

Re: radio problems

Originally posted by shimoto
i have the stock radio in my 86 maxima...wen turned on, it takes the radio quite a while to pick up ne sort of signal...or even no signal at all. wen it does pick up a signal and plays the radio, it is very scratchy and does not exceed much volume. also wen u press the brake, it stops the playing until u release the brake...ne1 have this problem or no how to fix it?
it sounds to me like you have some crossed wire for, most likely, the brake light switch, and probably the constant power to the radio...next time, watch and note whether the radio actually seems to power down when the brake is applied, or not...it could also be crossed to a wire on the factory EQ, since it works as an amp, etc, if it's knocked out, the radio will stop playing, also...

if either of these is the cause, I'd trace the brake light swicth wire from the switch (at the pedal), to see if i could find the short or splice. Then, to be honest, I'd junk the factory unit, and install a good aftermarket unit and eliminate the amp/eq entirely!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:42 PM

Re: radio problems

Originally posted by shimoto
The radio in my car does something similar to your problem...

Mine won't get any FM stations (does get a few AM stations though),
then if I leave it on a FM station long enough, the station might
eventually come on and play for a while...

I tried a different antenna, but that didn't help at all.

I got another radio for the car, but haven't had the time
to put it in...

Your problem sounds like you have a loose connection and moving
the brake pedal break the connection (moves a wire), then remakes
the connection when the brake pedal comes back (moves the wire
again).

Scott
Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 AM

does it jsut stop playing or does the clock and everything go off on the radio it self?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:56 AM
shimoto

it jus stops playing and makes a thumping noise, i think its frum the subwoofer